NEW 2015 - HIFIMAN HE400S
Mar 1, 2016 at 10:01 PM Post #2,236 of 2,884

(Ether hp usinga) Prototype tube amp

OK, I have now listened to the Ether with 2 other hp amps and I take back my initial "not too wowed'"comments...........the Ether's sound VERY, VERY nice indeed and............make my 400S sound pretty rolled off and plain vanilla.  For the cost, $300 retail for the 400S vs. $1500+ for the Ether's they better sound good.

Still happy with my 400S for the $$$ but now see what more $$$ will get you in headphones. Are the Ether's 5X better??? NO!...... but IMO they are better.

Mar 2, 2016 at 12:03 PM Post #2,237 of 2,884

OK, I have now listened to the Ether with 2 other hp amps and I take back my initial "not too wowed'"comments...........the Ether's sound VERY, VERY nice indeed and............make my 400S sound pretty rolled off and plain vanilla.  For the cost, $300 retail for the 400S vs. $1500+ for the Ether's they better sound good.

Still happy with my 400S for the $$$ but now see what more $$$ will get you in headphones. Are the Ether's 5X better??? NO!...... but IMO they are better.

I just got the Ether Close Back version yesterday. I will writing up a much more detailed review later. Out of the box, I was not impressed with the sound quality at all. Right now, before break in, the 400S beats it hands down.  This thing requires a very long break in of 150 hours. Mr. Speaker has created a large cult like following of believers. I am not a believer yet. I have not found one negative review yet. I hope these turn into my first reference

Mar 2, 2016 at 12:36 PM Post #2,238 of 2,884
  I just got the Ether Close Back version yesterday. I will writing up a much more detailed review later. Out of the box, I was not impressed with the sound quality at all. Right now, before break in, the 400S beats it hands down.  This thing requires a very long break in of 150 hours. Mr. Speaker has created a large cult like following of believers. I am not a believer yet. I have not found one negative review yet. I hope these turn into my first reference

The Ethers (open) I was listening to have a lot of time on them. I was impressed with what I heard, but not for $1500!

Mar 2, 2016 at 4:56 PM Post #2,239 of 2,884
My pair came in today. So far so good, very impressed with HiFiMan's progression over the years. This may be my favorite one from them yet... more impressive to me than the HE-400, HE-400i, HE-500, or HE-560.

Compared with my R70X, I'm surprised to find they sound very similar. The R70X is a bit more airy while the HE-400s is a bit more focused and dense sounding. Treble maybe a tad smoother on the R70X. I could be perfectly happy with either sound as both have a very likable sound signature. Although the deal breaker is the comfort, in which I find the R70X light years ahead due to the ability to reduce the clamping pressure by bending the headband. One of the reasons I love AT's wing headphones. Other than the clamp, the HE-400s is still a fantastic headphone at a great price and probably one of my first recommendations to anyone. 

Mar 2, 2016 at 9:35 PM Post #2,241 of 2,884
I'm a huge fan of the 400S, they sound so clear and spacious and detailed! They are probably the best sounding out of all my headphones. I think they sound even better when I use the treble eq on Spotify.

The build quality leaves a little bit to be desired, but they are comfortable enough and they are easy to drive and sound fantastic.

Mar 3, 2016 at 1:27 PM Post #2,242 of 2,884
I'm a huge fan of the 400S, they sound so clear and spacious and detailed! They are probably the best sounding out of all my headphones. I think they sound even better when I use the treble eq on Spotify.

The build quality leaves a little bit to be desired, but they are comfortable enough and they are easy to drive and sound fantastic.

Do you use the 400S with Spotify ? ( MP3 or similar format tracks )

Mar 3, 2016 at 5:19 PM Post #2,243 of 2,884
I use the 400s with both Spotify and the high res version of Tidal. Although I love the 400s immensely, it isn't the most detailed headphone around, so differences in track quality are less apparent than on something like my beyerdynamic t90. That said, there's certainly a difference through my schiit stack. Tidal tracks sound more spacious and alive.

Mar 3, 2016 at 9:55 PM Post #2,245 of 2,884
Has anyone tried the Edition X?

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH.......
eek.gif
.......$1800!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We, on this forum, are coming from the very modest (yes and very nice sounding) entry level planars in the HifiMan line.
6X the cost of the 400S they BETTER be out of this world.

Mar 6, 2016 at 4:05 PM Post #2,248 of 2,884
What do they do that the Beyers don't do?

I love my beyers generally speaking, I have the t90 and the dt770. I like how detailed they are and the amount of sparkle they have in the treble, but they're both a bit thin in the lower mids, where I think the he400s really shines. For me they take a little bit of the shrill harshness out of some Beatles tracks that I hear on my beyers and replaces it with a really full, rich, and deep sound.

Mar 7, 2016 at 4:02 AM Post #2,250 of 2,884
I love my beyers generally speaking, I have the t90 and the dt770. I like how detailed they are and the amount of sparkle they have in the treble, but they're both a bit thin in the lower mids, where I think the he400s really shines. For me they take a little bit of the shrill harshness out of some Beatles tracks that I hear on my beyers and replaces it with a really full, rich, and deep sound.

That sounds like a dt 1700...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back