NEW 2015 - HIFIMAN HE400S
Dec 31, 2015 at 4:48 AM Post #1,981 of 2,884
I just got a HE-400s in today. I'm using Brainwavz angled pads and driving with an Aune T1 (Genelex Gold Lion) and I am really loving these headphones. They seem like a VERY happy middle ground between the HD600 and the DT990 Pro (250 ohm) but with WAY more sound stage and a very beautiful presentation. Initial impressions: might be end game for me? :S I really can't imagine something being much better than this at all without spending $2k which is just out of the question for me. I have a DarkVoice 336SE and a Aune X1s on the way so I'll have more to share shortly. I am *really* enjoying these cans. They have a very sweet sound to them much like the Fidue A83 that I want to love so much but have fit issues with. Anyways, figured my first impressions might be interesting. My FocusPads are still on the way. We'll see how those sound, but I really can't imagine them being much better than these angled Brainwavz. :D Today has been a good day. 

Dec 31, 2015 at 8:10 PM Post #1,983 of 2,884
Can someone let me know if the suspension strap is removable? It looks like there is a screw on the underside of the pieces that you adjust up and down. In my experience with the HiFiMan straps, they aren't big enough for my gigantic head, so the ear pads don't come all the way down over my ears. I'd like the option to try a different suspension solution if possible, but I don't want to break something trying to get the stock one off.

Jan 1, 2016 at 2:58 AM Post #1,984 of 2,884
Ok. So I am using the Brainwavz Angled Pleathers. They were creating a seal and even causing what sounded like typical IEM driver flex. This was a little scary so I decided I would vent them with some small plastic tubes. O_O Jesus Christ, the bass decided it wanted to come out and play. I'm going to keep these handy just in case I want to rattle my teeth. I don't feel like the rest of the sound stage has changed very much but the bass feels like it's less congested and the driver is moving with less resistance. Anyways, here's a couple of pictures.

I am still testing this out. I literally just did this mod, and it definitely stopped the 'driver flex' issues with the Brainwavz pads. Initial impressions are promising.

Jan 1, 2016 at 12:46 PM Post #1,985 of 2,884
Can someone let me know if the suspension strap is removable? It looks like there is a screw on the underside of the pieces that you adjust up and down. In my experience with the HiFiMan straps, they aren't big enough for my gigantic head, so the ear pads don't come all the way down over my ears. I'd like the option to try a different suspension solution if possible, but I don't want to break something trying to get the stock one off.

I'll second that. That's the only complaint I've had about the 400s - they don't wrap around my big ol' haid far enough. The bottom of the pads don't descend enough & I have to tuck the earlobes up into them. Other than that though I love these phones.

Jan 3, 2016 at 9:01 AM Post #1,988 of 2,884
I bought the 400s 3 weeks ago and love it. When the 400i went on sale, I bought it too...figured I would try them both and send back the one that loses...I got the 400i on New years eve and have basically been sitting here going back and forth for 3 days.

Heres what Ive done for modifications..

400s, I put on Focus A pads and modded the grill. Wire only, no cloth for now.

400i, it looks like it already has the focus A pads, so I just did the grill mod, no cloth.

I never had a HP of this caliber, so all I had for an amp was a FiiO E11. I like to do portable (around the house, not at the store). I finally decided on the Soundblaster E5. I know its not a high-end desktop setup, but I really like it for its versatility. It does USB OTG, so I can use it with my Galaxy s6 edge and it works well with my laptop. It has an app for my s6 and my laptop with an SBX button and an equalizer. I can change things on the fly with my phone. The SBX button is kinda like a Loudness button that you can tailor. Neither of these cans need much eq, so I mostly use the SBX for bass boost and it works awesome. It has a cutover frequency adjust which allows you to adjust the where the sub bass comes in and I was able to bring more out on both HPs with this thing. Amp sounds very clean

Now my impressions:
The main thing I like about the 400s is the soundstage. As I said before, I never heard an HP of this caliber, so this is all new to me and I am so glad I found it. Its completely broke-in with Pads on, grill modded and I think the 400s is stellar. Open , airy, I am very happy with the bass, and I find nothing lacking in the mids to highs.

I get the 400i's and they are a different animal. Immediately they sounded more sophisticated and detailed...better bass, vocals more upfront, highs more apparent.... now the but.... but the soundstage is very limited compared to the 400s. As they have broken in, it has grown somewhat, but still nothing like my 400s. Their strength is the detail and focus of the images...everything seems to fit better and is tighter Voices are awesome, bass to highs is luscious...just really a step above headphone, which it should be at that retail. I really like the looks of it too...love the dark chrome. Fit is tighter than the 400s, and it feels heavier...I haven't weighed them, but i think they both spec out at around 13 oz, but when I put them on, for that instant, they feel heavier. When I go back to my 400s, it feels softer and lighter.

I listened to the 400i most of yesterday and it really is impressive. I did the grill mod and the soundstage improved to where I felt it was close enough to what I wanted, and the details dominated the rest. I even listened to Classical quite a bit....really pleasing and enjoyable.
I was finally feeling like I was selecting a winner.

I always try to be very objective, especially in this case since whoever I pick will be my baby for the foreseeable future, so I switched back to my 400s. Wow, ding dang dong, these things just wont quit. I think after listening to the 400i's all day, and then switching to the more open and airy 400s really brought out how much the soundstage means to me over the detail in the 400i. The 400i almost sounds like a closed back can which I know some people prefer or don't care. But to me, the 400i sounds like you're in the audience, the 400s sounds like your on the stage with them.

So now both HP's are broke enough to do some serious a/b'ing. What I am finding now, is there is not that much difference in the bass, bass extension, mids, the 400i has better highs, but gets a little tingie for me, so I dont miss it on the 400s. The difference for me, is the 400s is airy and the 400i is detailed. My disclaimer is both of these have been modded  and my setup. I dont know that a different DAC, amp, source, cables... who knows,  could produce different out come, but for my preferences, I enjoy my 400s over the 400i. Right now, I cant imagine how hard it will be to pack up the 400i and send it on its way....we'll see...

Jan 3, 2016 at 9:18 AM Post #1,989 of 2,884
Terrynj, thanks for the comparison! I purchased the HE400s *just* before the HE400i went on sale and felt a bit unsure about whether I should have waited that extra day or not. Your comparison has encouraged me that I purchased the right option. Everything you said you loved about the 400s I wholeheartedly agree with. The sound staging is simply phenomenal.

Jan 3, 2016 at 9:56 AM Post #1,990 of 2,884
I bought the 400s 3 weeks ago and love it. When the 400i went on sale, I bought it too...figured I would try them both and send back the one that loses...I got the 400i on New years eve and have basically been sitting here going back and forth for 3 days.

Heres what Ive done for modifications..

400s, I put on Focus A pads and modded the grill. Wire only, no cloth for now.

400i, it looks like it already has the focus A pads, so I just did the grill mod, no cloth.

I never had a HP of this caliber, so all I had for an amp was a FiiO E11. I like to do portable (around the house, not at the store). I finally decided on the Soundblaster E5. I know its not a high-end desktop setup, but I really like it for its versatility. It does USB OTG, so I can use it with my Galaxy s6 edge and it works well with my laptop. It has an app for my s6 and my laptop with an SBX button and an equalizer. I can change things on the fly with my phone. The SBX button is kinda like a Loudness button that you can tailor. Neither of these cans need much eq, so I mostly use the SBX for bass boost and it works awesome. It has a cutover frequency adjust which allows you to adjust the where the sub bass comes in and I was able to bring more out on both HPs with this thing. Amp sounds very clean

Now my impressions:
The main thing I like about the 400s is the soundstage. As I said before, I never heard an HP of this caliber, so this is all new to me and I am so glad I found it. Its completely broke-in with Pads on, grill modded and I think the 400s is stellar. Open , airy, I am very happy with the bass, and I find nothing lacking in the mids to highs.

I get the 400i's and they are a different animal. Immediately they sounded more sophisticated and detailed...better bass, vocals more upfront, highs more apparent.... now the but.... but the soundstage is very limited compared to the 400s. As they have broken in, it has grown somewhat, but still nothing like my 400s. Their strength is the detail and focus of the images...everything seems to fit better and is tighter Voices are awesome, bass to highs is luscious...just really a step above headphone, which it should be at that retail. I really like the looks of it too...love the dark chrome. Fit is tighter than the 400s, and it feels heavier...I haven't weighed them, but i think they both spec out at around 13 oz, but when I put them on, for that instant, they feel heavier. When I go back to my 400s, it feels softer and lighter.

I listened to the 400i most of yesterday and it really is impressive. I did the grill mod and the soundstage improved to where I felt it was close enough to what I wanted, and the details dominated the rest. I even listened to Classical quite a bit....really pleasing and enjoyable.
I was finally feeling like I was selecting a winner.

I always try to be very objective, especially in this case since whoever I pick will be my baby for the foreseeable future, so I switched back to my 400s. Wow, ding dang dong, these things just wont quit. I think after listening to the 400i's all day, and then switching to the more open and airy 400s really brought out how much the soundstage means to me over the detail in the 400i. The 400i almost sounds like a closed back can which I know some people prefer or don't care. But to me, the 400i sounds like you're in the audience, the 400s sounds like your on the stage with them.

So now both HP's are broke enough to do some serious a/b'ing. What I am finding now, is there is not that much difference in the bass, bass extension, mids, the 400i has better highs, but gets a little tingie for me, so I dont miss it on the 400s. The difference for me, is the 400s is airy and the 400i is detailed. My disclaimer is both of these have been modded  and my setup. I dont know that a different DAC, amp, source, cables... who knows,  could produce different out come, but for my preferences, I enjoy my 400s over the 400i. Right now, I cant imagine how hard it will be to pack up the 400i and send it on its way....we'll see...

Thats awesome, I thought about returning the HE 400S and getting the 400i just because it was on sale, but I love how the 400S sound even without any mods. I am glad I didnt from what I read on many forums the 400i's sound signature werent for me. Thanx for the info!!!

Jan 3, 2016 at 12:41 PM Post #1,991 of 2,884
NScott89 and soundpitchblack - I hope it helped, but please understand what I am saying - I think the sound quality is better in the 400i. It has great detail and body its imaging, but for me...they're just not as fun...I didnt find any song that I would be dragging my headphones around putting on peoples heads saying.....Listen to THIS! They are like a beautiful woman that is everything right, but not as much fun to be around and doesn't make you smile! To me, that's what listening is about.
Enjoy your 400s's

Jan 3, 2016 at 7:12 PM Post #1,992 of 2,884
NScott89 and soundpitchblack - I hope it helped, but please understand what I am saying - I think the sound quality is better in the 400i. It has great detail and body its imaging, but for me...they're just not as fun...I didnt find any song that I would be dragging my headphones around putting on peoples heads saying.....Listen to THIS! They are like a beautiful woman that is everything right, but not as much fun to be around and doesn't make you smile! To me, that's what listening is about.
Enjoy your 400s's

Yeah, it is pretty much my view on the 400S with the brainwavz pads (not saying are the same to the 400i) they sound great, extended bass, good mids and highs but soundstage and imaging decreases in my view which I much prefer to have the stock pads with better instrument separation, bass tightness and good soundstage. Still is good to have that option. If anyone knows how these qualities are with the focus (A) pads let me know ( do they change these qualities compared to stock pads). Thanx again!!!

Jan 6, 2016 at 12:16 PM Post #1,994 of 2,884
What I see with all those grill mods, pad changes etc etc is that almost everything is better.
Extended bass, better highs.
Not only here but on every thread and I think a lot of it can be contributed to expectation bias.
You would think that the months and months of testing of a headphone maker, they would
know what is the best for that headphone.
I'm sure it will change some of the characteristics but I don't know, I'm just very sceptical with
these things.

Jan 6, 2016 at 12:32 PM Post #1,995 of 2,884
What I see with all those grill mods, pad changes etc etc is that almost everything is better.
Extended bass, better highs.
Not only here but on every thread and I think a lot of it can be contributed to expectation bias.
You would think that the months and months of testing of a headphone maker, they would
know what is the best for that headphone.
I'm sure it will change some of the characteristics but I don't know, I'm just very sceptical with
these things.

Well, there are a few things to consider. First, Hifiman wanted these headphones to come in at a certain price point, $300. That means there going to have to make some sacrifices versus a more expensive headphone. Second, different people have different preferences. Other pads may not be BETTER than the stock pads, but they may give certain people the specific sound they want more than the stock pad. Third, the grills were designed with cloth covers to keep out dust. Hifiman themselves have suggested removing those if you want a change in sound, but it's with the caveat that you're removing a certain level of protection. Some people go further and replace the entire grill.

The nice thing about most of these mods is that they're cheap and easy to reverse. You're not drilling holes anywhere or rewiring anything. The amount of change possible will vary from person to person, based on what they're able to perceive (and perhaps, yes, want to perceive). If you don't want to mod the 400S at all, no problem. They're great headphones out of the box. But I don't think we can wave the changes of the mods away simply by claiming confirmation bias. And it doesn't mean Hifiman didn't deliver the best headphone they could, it just means there are certain compromises that had to be made to hit the target price, and certain design decisions that may not suit each individual.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back