NEW 2015 - HIFIMAN HE400S
Dec 23, 2015 at 4:01 AM Post #1,936 of 2,884
I dunno how to say but I'll say it. The Nighthawk is a very mediocre headphone for the asking price.
Buill well, very comfy but the sound is underwhelming at best :rolleyes:

Dec 23, 2015 at 6:01 AM Post #1,937 of 2,884
As an entry level audiophile headphone, I firmly believe the 400S is better than any entry level equivalent from Sennheiser (HD600/650), Audeze (both EL-8 variants) and even the Philips X2. This may be personal preference, but I somehow think you'd find many people who agree.

On the subject of modding, I think it's both the ease of modification, as well as the relatively lower price for these headphones that encourage people to be a bit more adventurous. I'm not sure many would be as eager to mod the HE-1000, for example. I have left mine at stock, simply because I already love it as is.

If you're keen to try out better headphones than the generic dreck out there, I really think you can't go wrong with these as a first "serious" pair of cans. There are much better headphones out there, but I can't easily think of any at the same price range. It'd be a shame to not give this a chance because you think they only sound good modded

Dec 23, 2015 at 8:07 AM Post #1,938 of 2,884
I dunno how to say but I'll say it. The Nighthawk is a very mediocre headphone for the asking price.
Buill well, very comfy but the sound is underwhelming at best :rolleyes:

Not sure I agree but will reserve judgment. I just got the NH yesterday to test out. The sound, which is very unique and smooth, is already changing for the better after only 10 hours of burn in. I liked the 400s but the clamping bothered me a little and I also wanted something with better bass. The build quality seemed a bit on the cheap side too. I might have to return the NH only on the basis of price alone though.

Dec 23, 2015 at 9:39 PM Post #1,939 of 2,884
If you get the chance, you should try a pair of more well worn 400s' with focus pads or focus A pads. I feel that the headphones were more comfortable with the focus pads, and the bass had more impact and detail as well.

Dec 26, 2015 at 5:20 PM Post #1,945 of 2,884
Are these better then the hd600/650/700

Dec 26, 2015 at 5:22 PM Post #1,946 of 2,884
Dec 26, 2015 at 5:38 PM Post #1,948 of 2,884
Which one would work he400s or hd600. I want something with wide soundstage great detail and clean vocal

There are at least a dozen posts about these two headphones and the comparative differences.

No one can tell you which you will like best, but if you use the handy search function up top where it says "search this thread" and type in hd600 or hd650. I think you will have lots of opinions.

Your two criteria, for example, favors one for the vocals and the other for the soundstage.

Dec 26, 2015 at 5:47 PM Post #1,949 of 2,884
  I have Brainwavz and Focus Pads A in route. 

I will need to destroy my stock pads (or buy another cheap set) for the attachment rings to use with the Brainwavz.

You can just buy the attachment ring from Hifiman.  I bought one even though I never had a Hifiman headphone lol.  Was gonna try modding with it but never got around to it.

Dec 26, 2015 at 7:56 PM Post #1,950 of 2,884
  I just wanted to double-check on the compatibility here - the HiFiMan cables have the stereo 2.5 plugs where the HD-700 has mono 2.5's. Will this still work correctly? I'd really like to get a longer cable. Thanks.

Hey sorry didn't see your reply. I got the below and they work great. 

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00KBBR8T4?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00

Users who are viewing this thread

Back