NEW 2015 - HIFIMAN HE400S
Sep 5, 2015 at 12:02 PM Post #1,486 of 2,884
They affect different areas of the spectrum. Reduction of reflections on the higher end opens up the sound. More air and details.
Addition of reflection on the low end strengthens the bass. The first one reduces effect of sound coming from the back side of 
the diaphragm. The second one is produced in front of the diaphragm.

Sep 5, 2015 at 12:06 PM Post #1,487 of 2,884
Am I the only one who afraids to ask what is "reflection of a headphone"? I wondered. Really. 
biggrin.gif

I can't do that grill mod because of some reasons but I'm considering buying that Focuspad thing. I really don't want to give 40$ for nothing. If Focuspad does "reflection" thing which I don't know what it is but if it is bad, should I buy it? Well, I lost the track of this subject... 
blink.gif

edit: Okay, I got it. 

Sep 5, 2015 at 12:19 PM Post #1,488 of 2,884
Measurements (elsewhere) had been made with the HE-400S using Focuspads. You can see on the graph that the lows are extended.
Reports in this thread affirm those findings.

Yes, I too am reluctant to tackle the grill mod. For me, it isn't broken to fix.

Sep 5, 2015 at 7:52 PM Post #1,490 of 2,884
  Measurements (elsewhere) had been made with the HE-400S using Focuspads. You can see on the graph that the lows are extended.
Reports in this thread affirm those findings.

Yes, I too am reluctant to tackle the grill mod. For me, it isn't broken to fix.

Flip your grills off open and see if the sound-stage is the same or not.
If the grills clip in the same way as 400 it is a fast A|B experiment.
Just be careful not to snap the 4 tabs that clip into the cups. Use a credit card to flip then off between the ring and grill.

Sep 6, 2015 at 12:47 AM Post #1,491 of 2,884
I see. How about the difference between focus and focus a?

Sep 6, 2015 at 3:40 AM Post #1,492 of 2,884
From what I remember being discussed here, both have extended bass, but the Focuspad smoothens the mids vs the Focuspad A. Like it or hate it. 
Smoothing tones down mid attack. Think of its effect on snare drums. Focuspad A has velour inner lining. Focuspad is lined by perforated pleather.
Both have outer pleather. If you rate reflections, stock velour will be least reflective, then the Focuspad A, then the Focuspad.

Sep 6, 2015 at 5:01 AM Post #1,493 of 2,884
  From what I remember being discussed here, both have extended bass, but the Focuspad A smoothens the mids vs the Focuspad. Like it or hate it. 
Smoothing tones down mid attack. Think of its effect on snare drums. Focuspad A has velour inner lining. Focuspad is lined by perforated pleather.
Both have outer pleather. If you rate reflections, stock velour will be least reflective, then the Focuspad A, then the Focuspad.

Corrected. 
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 6, 2015 at 12:38 PM Post #1,496 of 2,884
In a nutshell, when I switch between the Asgard 1 and the SMSL SAP-5, the change isn't obvious and shocking. The Asgard 1 is better in most aspects but only by a little bit. I have to do a deliberate A/B comparison to hear the difference. But if I were to compare by memory I really cannot tell what I am missing when I listen to the SMSL SAP-5.

Some discussion here: 

http://www.head-fi.org/t/729667/2014-model-smsl-sap-5-portable-headphone-amplifer-introduction-impressions/195

My Amazon review here: 

http://www.amazon.com/CHEERLINK-MAX9722-Portable-Headphone-Amplifier/dp/B00MO7G5M4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1441557333&sr=8-1&keywords=smsl+sap-5#customerReviews

Sep 7, 2015 at 3:19 PM Post #1,497 of 2,884
  How does this match up against the HD598? 

I've only run in about 60 of the suggested 150 hours of burn in so far but will offer my decidedly non-expert opinion. If I wait until the full 150 are done the original post will probably be at least 10 pages back in the thread & possibly forgotten So I'll go with what I can give you thus far. Most of my audition pieces may be fairly weird for a lot of people's taste but we all have our different strokes. The testing was done running FLACs through Foobar 2000 into an iFi micro DSD.

First up is "I've Got You Under My Skin" from Monty Alexander's Echoes of Jilly's recording. The high hats on the 598 emphasize a bit more of the "chh" frequencies to the 400's "tss" ones.The piano is fairly strong in the lower-mids so I like to see how the ride cymbal peeks around the corner of that camouflage, so to speak, when in the mix. Granted those are different frequencies but the dominance of the piano mids tends to overpower some of the other frequencies. The ride seems to render equally for the most part although the 400's freq response is a little more neutral on the piano. John Pattituci's bass line has a little more solidity & authority with the 400's. The bass drum is a bit quicker & more powerful with the 400's too.

Next up , "10 Minutes Til The Savages Come" from Manhattan Transfer's "The Offbeat of Avenues" recording. A recording that had some of that 80's brightness, the 400 smoothes that out a little more than the 598. The vocals have even less grain but the grain makes the brushes in the intro a little more clear on the 598.

Moving on, a couple from Dr. John from his "Back To New Orleans" cd. First up, Big Chief. This is a pretty "busy" cut, featuring a brass band. The bass horn is a little more deep with the 400's & for the tambourine the "chh" vs "tss" freqs. also apply - which one you prefer is up to you. There are 2 4-string banjo strum parts panned lt & rt. They might be a bit clearer & more distinguishable on the 400's. The snare is a bit more present on the 598's. One way might be to describe the 400's as a touch cleaner, which does seem to be a trend comparing the two. Second up is Litanie Des Saints. This one has a section toward the end of the long instrumental intro where the lead violins are a little harsh - more a fault of the recording than anything else. Surprisingly the 598's tame that a little more than the 400's. Since it's inherent in the recording nothing will eliminate that entirely. The string ensemble does feel a little more round with the 400's although just a bit more distant. You can distinguish Dr. John's voice a little better in the vocal ensemble on the verse better with the 400's.

Next is "One Life To Live" from Lou Rawls' "When You Hear Lou, You've Heard It All" lp. Actually an lp I converted to FLAC. Some classic Gamble & Huff era Philly Sound here. The closed hi hat can be heard a little a little better with the 598, again, "chh" v as opposed to "tss" probably, However Lou's glorious baritone is definitely better served on the 400's and the bass has more pop. Instrumental separation is a bit better on the 400's too.

Next up, "Route 66" off of Natalie Coles' "Unforgettable" cd. I listen to this one to see how it reproduces brushes, among other things. As seems to be the overall picture, the "chh" vbs "tss" makes them a little more present on the 598's, a little more crisp on the 400's. The bass line (when you hear the late, great Ray Brown enough you can always pick him out when you hear him again) is deeper, stronger & a little more snap. Monty Alexander is on this one too although on this recording the piano eq curve is better balanced.

I could go on but am running out of time at this point. Although the 400's are harder to drive than the 598's surprisingly I didn't have to turn it up much on the micro DSD (power mode - eco, IEM match - off). Using the clock face analogy it only took about a half an hour increase to get them to match. Granted this isn't a scientific level of matching. I didn't find the bass to be lacking with the 400's & thought it to be a little louder (and tighter) than the 598's. Granted, the genres I've listed here aren't bass heavy ones. So while my selections might be as useless as the proverbial teats on a boar hog to readers who don't listen to this type of music and aren't acquainted with the artists & selections, it's as close to a useful comparison as I can give you so take it with that particular grain of salt.

Sep 9, 2015 at 12:35 AM Post #1,498 of 2,884
Came home from mini-vacation to this:

Coming from HE400, here are my I mmediate loves:

1. Nice HiFiMan sound out of the box with my iPhone :blink:

2. Potential for great sound for the price with with specified 150 hours of burn-in and a better source :L3000:

3. Light weight

4. Headband is sooo much more comfortable

5. New connectors are much easier and no worries about over-twisting the cable

With the big grin thery're giving me with my iPhone as a source OOTB, methinks once fully burned-in HE400S are going to be Awesomesauce & AMAZEBALLS!!!

Sep 9, 2015 at 2:46 AM Post #1,500 of 2,884
  I share your excitement. I like the iPhone's top end. That will be an awesome Spotify setup.

Excellent photographs by the way.

Thanks @Gino! I've got the HE400S on the burn-in rig with pink noise at moderate volume. That 150 hours is ~6 days 
blink.gif

I'll check in tomorrow and see how they're cooking up 
wink_face.gif

Photos are iPhone 5S -> Snapseed app to enhance -> Diptic to make the grid. Truly amazing what smartphones can do these days!!!
beerchug.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back