NEW 2015 - HIFIMAN HE400S
Aug 30, 2015 at 1:35 AM Post #1,456 of 2,884
I would actually describe the 400S treble as being on the softer side. Other ideas would include the B&W P7 or even something like the NAD HP50 (HP50 from memory). If you have an unlimited price range, the PM1 may be right up your alley (from when I auditioned it a year and a half ago). Though you do cite a small medical condition, I don't know how soft is soft for you... My suggestion would definitely be to audition if you can.

unlimited price range, I think you may be able to find something better than the pm-1

Aug 30, 2015 at 11:03 AM Post #1,457 of 2,884
I wonder how the soundstage would compare to my ancient Sony MDR-CD3000.

I love the CD3K but they're not very popular. One of the aspects I really like is how wide and holographic the sound is. All around.

The 3K are closed however and maybe it can get better without breaking the bank. I care about the overall sound, but it seems that I always tend to prefer headphones that sound roomy and all around like speakers.

So how do these come out in terms of soundstage?

Aug 30, 2015 at 1:00 PM Post #1,458 of 2,884
Hey y'alls. I've posted my HE400S review and thought I'd share it here. I also go a bit more in depth comparing it to the HE560 than I do in the earlier post in this thread. Hope that helps the few people that asked me.

http://www.head-fi.org/products/hifiman-he400s/reviews/13881

Aug 30, 2015 at 4:29 PM Post #1,459 of 2,884
I wonder how the soundstage would compare to my ancient Sony MDR-CD3000.

I love the CD3K but they're not very popular. One of the aspects I really like is how wide and holographic the sound is. All around.

The 3K are closed however and maybe it can get better without breaking the bank. I care about the overall sound, but it seems that I always tend to prefer headphones that sound roomy and all around like speakers.

So how do these come out in terms of soundstage?

My initial thoughts about the HE-400S sound-stage expanded into a mini-review...

With the stock pads (soft velour), the HE-400S would be an excellent choice for casual listening. Featuring large, soft ear-cups, its on-ear design is quite comfortable and secure. The sound of the 400S is smooth, spacious, and balanced. With warm (but rolled-off) bass and reduced treble, long listening sessions would not be fatiguing in the slightest. Its sound-stage is evenly spread (left-to-right)... but not overly wide or exaggerated. And with above-average reproduction of mid-frequencies, as well as superior center imaging/focus, the 400S shines with songs featuring vocalists.

For improved detail retrieval, clarity, and bass... use hybrid HM5 pads. Though, the stock (plastic) pad fitting has to be attached to the pads.

Also, since the 400S features an open-back design and leaks sound (in and out), it would not be appropriate for use in public places (library, outside, etc.) or loud environments, like public transport.

Aug 30, 2015 at 8:42 PM Post #1,460 of 2,884
I know my review is written in a positive light and I meant it that way when I wrote it. But this headphone gets very little head time right now. It would be embarrassed by the omni, or he560. but given the price difference it should be that way, and is not embarrassed by the he400, and philips x1. It sits comfortably in price to performance with those two, though the he400 is a technically more capable headphone. 

I really hope HiFiMan answers the call to an he400 without treble peaks. 
That call has been on hold for years!!!!

This headphone was Fangs attempt at the getting rid of the treble peaks everyone has complained about and all the while providing a neutral sound. If this headphone is another step in the process of answering that call then I definitely find it an appreciable step in the right direction. 

It is worth noting the following.

- The original he400 is not a basshead phone in regards to bass quantity. It is only slightly above neutral. Even so its not a thunderously pumping bass. Its bass balance is not enough to mask details or cause any clarity issues. 

- You will find that people will amp these suckers no matter how sensitive you say they are so really its sensitivity is almost a non issue. No one is every grumbling about how hard the he400 is to power. Consumers will pay what they need if they can get what they want from a headphone. in general people are more willing to amp a headphone than EQ it. 

::::FACT:::: if you combine the balance from the mids up of the 400S( maybe a little more air in the treble) and the exact bass of the he400 you will have an instant CLASSIC irregardless of it being easy to drive or not and housing design. Just be sure to not restrict the soundstage any more than the he400s and you will have THE IDEAL headphone in its class that will be the OBVIOUS choice for 8 out of 10 consumers looking in this price range.  The Philips X2 is an example of this and is killing it right now you can barely find one used anywhere!!! and when you do they all get bought fairly fast, have no box, are scratched, or priced too high. The He400S will never reach the same status of notoriety unfortunately. Though being a planar, it should be able to beat it. 

My recommendation of this headphone comes with several caveats, exceptions, and all with me considering it to be a good value. Its just missing that overall satisfaction that brings it from being GOOD to EXCELLENT. 

Aug 30, 2015 at 9:40 PM Post #1,461 of 2,884
Very helpful review, actually. Thanks.

I'm still dying to read a direct comparison of the He-400s against the Audeze EL-8 (open or closed).

But I've gathered a lot about the HE-400s either way from this thread especially that last post.

Thanks.

Sent from my LGLS660 using Tapatalk

Aug 30, 2015 at 10:26 PM Post #1,462 of 2,884

I can't offer a full length comparison but I did try both models this past week. I didn't spend a whole lot of time with the EL-8's because there was something that just sounded off when compared to the 400S'. Of course that's just my subjective impression - someone else could hear both of them & think the opposite.
Very helpful review, actually. Thanks.

I'm still dying to read a direct comparison of the He-400s against the Audeze EL-8 (open or closed).

But I've gathered a lot about the HE-400s either way from this thread especially that last post.

Thanks.

Sent from my LGLS660 using Tapatalk

Sep 3, 2015 at 4:46 AM Post #1,464 of 2,884
I sold these and bought Oppo PM-3 instead. I wish I had done so in the first place. HE400S is a good headphone for the price, very musical, but the lack of sub-bass extension was a dealbreaker in the end. PM-3 is better than HE400S not just in bass, but in every way. It has crystal clear, musical sound, great bass and doesn't sound like a closed headphone at all, no more than HE400S and HD650 at least. If anyone is between these two headphones, PM-3 is the clear winner. Just be sure to use it with a portable amp at least. 

Sep 3, 2015 at 5:43 AM Post #1,465 of 2,884
  I sold these and bought Oppo PM-3 instead. I wish I had done so in the first place. HE400S is a good headphone for the price, very musical, but the lack of sub-bass extension was a dealbreaker in the end. PM-3 is better than HE400S not just in bass, but in every way. It has crystal clear, musical sound, great bass and doesn't sound like a closed headphone at all, no more than HE400S and HD650 at least. If anyone is between these two headphones, PM-3 is the clear winner. Just be sure to use it with a portable amp at least. 

I do not disagree with anything you've said - I had the PM-3 rental and would have bought them...

However, the deal breaker for me was the size of the ear cup on the PM-3. It is smaller than the NAD VISO HP50, which is likely the smallest over-ear headphone I could fit my left ear into. So for those of you with larger ears, please try the PM-3 first.

Sep 3, 2015 at 7:00 AM Post #1,466 of 2,884
  I do not disagree with anything you've said - I had the PM-3 rental and would have bought them...

However, the deal breaker for me was the size of the ear cup on the PM-3. It is smaller than the NAD VISO HP50, which is likely the smallest over-ear headphone I could fit my left ear into. So for those of you with larger ears, please try the PM-3 first.

Oppo PM-3 earpad inner dimensions measurements: Height 60mm, Width 40mm, Depth 17mm.

If you guys have other headphones/earpads, consider adding them to this database: http://www.head-fi.org/t/653032/size-matters-earpad-hole-measurements-for-over-ear-headphones

Cheers!

Sep 3, 2015 at 7:00 AM Post #1,467 of 2,884

I agree, it's a bit small. I have average size ears and they fit fine (barely) but large ears probably won't fit.

Sep 3, 2015 at 11:11 AM Post #1,468 of 2,884

I had pretty much the exact opposite experience. I found the Oppo PM-3 to be totally unengaging, even boring, even though it didn't really do anything "wrong" as such. I ended up returning it both because it was completely unexciting and because of comfort issues. I find the HE-400S to be a much better headphone with better imaging and a much more engaging sound signature. I guess this just goes to show that we all hear differently! :)

Sep 3, 2015 at 1:49 PM Post #1,469 of 2,884
I had a problem about the pads of these headphones. It's started detach from it's plastic ring from inside. It wasn't a "big" problem. It was annoying but I was using with the problem but I decided to write to Hifiman about it and attached a picture. They send another pair of pads. I don't have it yet but I thought I should share it with you.
This shows they are very concerned about consumer's issues. Their attitude corroborates my will of buying a HE-1000 or HE-560 when I found some money.

Sep 3, 2015 at 2:38 PM Post #1,470 of 2,884

I had pretty much the exact opposite experience. I found the Oppo PM-3 to be totally unengaging, even boring, even though it didn't really do anything "wrong" as such. I ended up returning it both because it was completely unexciting and because of comfort issues. I find the HE-400S to be a much better headphone with better imaging and a much more engaging sound signature. I guess this just goes to show that we all hear differently! :)

I think they are both fun headphones, but PM-3 sounds more Hi-Fi with better bass extension and more resolving power. But you're right, we all have different ears.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back