Never had this happen before!
Nov 7, 2005 at 1:16 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

ServinginEcuador

Founder of the Head-Fi Pay-to-Post Program.
While I was in the midst of burning a couple of hundred CDs into MP3s for use on the new iPod, I was importing some music when the wife and I heard a loud BANG! from the computer. At first I thought a fan came off, or that a heatsink came off and hit with a thud. It was pretty loud, and somewhat startling. I looked at the iTunes screen and noticed it was not moving anymore, so I tried to eject the CD. It wouldn't open more than a half-inch or so, and got stuck. I turned the computer off immediately, and pulled the CD drawer open manually, only to discover that the CD had come off the spindle while at full speed, and hit the inside of the CD drive so hard it exploded into hundred of little, itty-bitty, pieces. Man, it ruined my CD drive, and took a good CD with it.
frown.gif

Anyone else have a CD come loose and take out a drive in the process?

Nov 7, 2005 at 1:23 AM Post #2 of 9
Ive had a CD drive burn up and go up in smoke...pretty unsettling...lost a good Bob Marley CD with the darn drive. Those were the days when Creative used to bundle CD drives with games and speakers and crap...the early days...1990s...

Nov 7, 2005 at 1:25 AM Post #3 of 9
No, but...how fast were you ripping? That's a known issue at very high speeds, but I would think most CDs could handle 10x or so (most...).

Nov 7, 2005 at 1:27 AM Post #4 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by cerbie
No, but...how fast were you ripping? That's a known issue at very high speeds, but I would think most CDs could handle 10x or so.

I normally burn at about 30-40x speed with that drive, and imported my entire collection three times before I had the problem. I think it was a problem with the disc being not so sound physically.

Nov 7, 2005 at 11:49 AM Post #7 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by ServinginEcuador
I normally burn at about 30-40x speed with that drive, and imported my entire collection three times before I had the problem. I think it was a problem with the disc being not so sound physically.

Most likely. However, if you were ripping at 30-40x peaks, they could definitely break. Some readers have reinforced interiors now, because of this.

Nov 7, 2005 at 3:42 PM Post #9 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by terrymx
holy cow, what brand and model is your cdrom?

Memorex, DVD-CD/RW drive. May it RIP.
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back