neutral tube amp <$500
Feb 22, 2009 at 1:15 PM Post #2 of 7
If an amp has “tubey warmth”, is it still transparent/neutral? =)

I'm not trying to nitpick or anything, I just find it funny because I personally choose to use a tube amp because I don't want a truly “neutral” set-up (instead preferring the tubey warmth). That said, if you're into DIY, the SOHA II is a very nice amp that should be able to drive your Beyers.

Feb 22, 2009 at 5:04 PM Post #4 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by Arkku /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If an amp has “tubey warmth”, is it still transparent/neutral? =)

I'm not trying to nitpick or anything, I just find it funny because I personally choose to use a tube amp because I don't want a truly “neutral” set-up (instead preferring the tubey warmth). That said, if you're into DIY, the SOHA II is a very nice amp that should be able to drive your Beyers.

"Tubey warmth" is another poor descriptor that doesnt truly describe tube sound. Moreover, such descriptors mislead those with no tube experience into beleiving all tube amps are somehow colored, fat sounding , slow or whatever. Tubes are more harmonically rich like real music where all but the very best SS sounds to bleached out and thin. Because SS amps are far more prevalent the SS sound seems to have become accepted as correct. Personally, I do not think SS sounds accurate at all; particularly op amp designs. True Class A MOSFET designs are much better but still not there.

But, regardless of which view you hold as to accuracy a hybrid may very well be the best compromise. I find hybrids extremely enjoyable and most hybrids sound better to me than some of the high negative feedback all tube amp designs that attempt to reduce distortion at the expense of the sound. I like my hybrids much better than any SS amps I have owned, including most recently, the Headamp GS-1. The better hybrids have good harmonic body, like tubes, with a very clear, clean, fast presentation with killer bass like SS. The hybrids also mostly avoid the grain and harshness in the treble I hear in any SS headamp I have ever owned. Given that these hybrids are normally very INexpensive for the sound quality you receive they are probably the best values going. I am surprised that the Head-Fi membership hasnt caught on sooner.

The best sounding hybrids, IMO, are the Millet Max, Millet MOSFET Max, Millet Mini-Max, SOHA/ JISBOS and SOHA 2. I couldnt resist and picked up a SOHA 2 for $200 shipped yesterday. People pay $400-500 for the little op amp portables that dont touch these amps for sound quality. With the collaboration of the DIY community these amps are some of the most innovative, best sounding and bulletproof designs available. Understand that even though you may not DIY .... assembled DIY amps are for sale routinely for peanuts compared to commercail designs.

KidsTable.jpg

cth_done_front.jpg

MAXcollage.jpg

Pdrm3101.jpg

13122008269dd9.jpg

Feb 22, 2009 at 5:10 PM Post #5 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by sacd lover /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I couldnt resist and picked up a SOHA 2 for $200 shipped yesterday.

Wow, that's a great price. It cost me just as much (if not more) to build it, as mine wasn't a standard build.

Feb 22, 2009 at 11:41 PM Post #7 of 7
With the right tubes, the Darkvoice 336SE sounds excellent with 250 ohm Beyers. And so does the Ming-Da MC84-C 07.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back