Neutral IEMs
Oct 15, 2010 at 2:23 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

Mus

New Head-Fier
Hi,

I've been used to Shure 530s but I'm not willing to pay that much money for something where the cable fails after 9 months.

Can anyone please recommend some IEMs with a good isolating seal and fairly flat EQ. What price point could I safely start at?

I'm making do with Sennheiser CX300s at the moment but they're pretty useless.

Cheers
M

Oct 15, 2010 at 2:33 AM Post #2 of 22
Good Isolation + Flat FR = Etymotic. MC5 starts at $80, but if you want SE530 level of SQ, ER4P/S are more likely to fit your bill.

Oct 15, 2010 at 10:53 AM Post #4 of 22
Over-the-ears will be difficult with Ety. Seal is not difficult, just 'deep', as in you will need to push the IEM fairly deep into the ear canal. If those are a concern, Phonak Audeo PFE might work for you as well, just not as isolating as Ety.

Reviews:
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/506087/review-etymotic-er4p-er4s-the-living-legends
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/482515/review-phonak-aud-o-pfe-121

Oct 15, 2010 at 10:58 AM Post #5 of 22
Over the ears is doable with the Ety4 but the cord sticks out a bit.  You look like a dork and the cord can catch easily if you're moving around.  Microphonics are best defeated by some sort of clip to the shirt.

Otherwise, the Ety4 sounds like what you need.  I find the greatest isolation with Comply tips.

Oct 15, 2010 at 11:32 PM Post #7 of 22
Etymotic all the way. Coming from the cx300, the super-flat sq of the etys may shock you at first. Give your brain some time to adjust, and you'll be in audio heaven. 

Oct 16, 2010 at 4:05 AM Post #8 of 22
Thanks guys. I take it ER4P are the ones to get rather than ER4S?

I'm a songwriter so I check mixes all the time and flat EQ appeals to me. I also use IEMs to monitor whilst doing vocals and they're much better than conventional headphones for that.
Won't be comparing anything to the CX300 - just can't get the things to fit at all.

Oct 16, 2010 at 8:22 AM Post #9 of 22
What about the Etymotic HF5?

Oct 18, 2010 at 6:02 PM Post #11 of 22

Quote:
What about the Etymotic HF5?

Thanks. Why would you say such a thing? What advantages are there? They seem to be cheaper and get pretty good reviews as well.

Do any of the Etymotics have replaceable cables?

Also what tips do these come with - I used foam with the 530s but they don't last long once I started keeping them cleam with alcohol hand rub.

Cheers
M

Oct 18, 2010 at 6:25 PM Post #12 of 22

Quote:
Thanks. Why would you say such a thing? What advantages are there? They seem to be cheaper and get pretty good reviews as well.

Do any of the Etymotics have replaceable cables?

Also what tips do these come with - I used foam with the 530s but they don't last long once I started keeping them cleam with alcohol hand rub.

Cheers
M

The ER4 series has replaceable cables...

Oct 18, 2010 at 9:42 PM Post #13 of 22
I would (and have many times before) suggest ER4S for mixing. I don't think you can get anything more analytical for the price.

That said, I do not consider them as flat as others here. (To me, an LCD-2 is pretty damn flat, and these do not sound like an LCD-2.)

But just like with NS-10s, they don't need to be flat to make good mixes, as long as you "learn" th sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back