Neutral Closed-Back Options $1k CDN budget
Oct 15, 2021 at 7:57 PM Post #17 of 29
Thanks for mentioning this. I was actually wondering if planar magnetics would pose an issue..

I currently have a qudelix 5k, with an unbalanced and balanced out (the latter adds an additional 6db of power). Would the qudelix run DCA cans? I'm rather interested in the Noire, honestly... Though that will run me some serious money and I'll have to save for a while. :wink:
The Qudelix is probably enough to get ok sound at low to medium listening levels. Going loud won't work well though. The issue is with the limit of power a small portable device like that can output. You probably can get loud in pure volume, but the music will sound a bit lifeless.
Noted.

Though, my reading indicates they may not be particularly analytical? There aren't a ton of reviews on them, so I'm a little disinclined to buy.
Depends on what you mean by "analytical". The frequency response is reasonably well balanced. They also have very clean sound in the sense that distortion is extremely low.

Oct 15, 2021 at 8:45 PM Post #18 of 29
The Qudelix is probably enough to get ok sound at low to medium listening levels. Going loud won't work well though. The issue is with the limit of power a small portable device like that can output. You probably can get loud in pure volume, but the music will sound a bit lifeless.

Depends on what you mean by "analytical". The frequency response is reasonably well balanced. They also have very clean sound in the sense that distortion is extremely low.
What do you mean by "lifeless"? Does pushing an amp to its upper limits reduce dynamic range or something?

Oct 16, 2021 at 5:43 PM Post #22 of 29
Well, I can't find them anywhere. Where are they sold? And I dunno, they just look crappy, hahaha.
Did the earlier post mean NDH20?
I don't think they look bad, and not hard to find.
https://www.amazon.com/Neumann-Headphones-NDH-Closed-Back-Monitoring/dp/B07M6RVR1Y

But reviews look mixed, particularly for something at $500.
https://www.sonarworks.com/soundid-reference/blog/reviews/neumann-ndh20-headphone-review/
https://www.soundonsound.com/reviews/neumann-ndh-20
https://www.lbtechreviews.com/test/headphones/best-premium-class-headphones/neumann-ndh-20

Last edited:
Oct 17, 2021 at 11:16 AM Post #23 of 29
No, they meant the Sennheiser hd250 linear. It's a very old model.

Regardless, thanks for your input - I'm looking at those cans! I don't see myself buying them, though, considering the ever so mixed reviews.

I'm kinda toying with the idea of the AKG 271 MKII, though.

Oct 17, 2021 at 4:43 PM Post #24 of 29
I'd actually been looking at this thread because I'm about to get my hands on the Audio-Technica ATH-R70x, a model that has been around for half a decade but got raves when it appeared and is still widely recommended for clarity and comfort. Supposed to be a near-neutral studio reference headphone with a little bit of bass warmth. Will report back after I've tried it. $350 at Amazon. But...it's open-back.

Oct 18, 2021 at 2:34 PM Post #25 of 29
I'd actually been looking at this thread because I'm about to get my hands on the Audio-Technica ATH-R70x, a model that has been around for half a decade but got raves when it appeared and is still widely recommended for clarity and comfort. Supposed to be a near-neutral studio reference headphone with a little bit of bass warmth. Will report back after I've tried it. $350 at Amazon. But...it's open-back.
Ah, yes. I'd have taken a look at the M70X, but the build quality is reported to be terrible.

Oct 18, 2021 at 7:52 PM Post #26 of 29
Ah, yes. I'd have taken a look at the M70X, but the build quality is reported to be terrible.
It's actually very good. Plastic, yes, but durable. (I own a pair)

Oct 19, 2021 at 11:27 AM Post #28 of 29
I entirely believe you that your pair have and will continue to endure. However, a Google search illuminates a recurring issue with the M70x's build quality.
I was talking about the R70X, a very different model. Apologies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back