Neutral Beyers?
Jul 29, 2010 at 3:54 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

Kevin Brown

1000+ Head-Fier
Yeah, I know, another "please recommend" thread. 
L3000.gif

I read the FAQs on Beyers site, and along  with some Googling, and I think I want the DT-880 250 ohm model.

600 ohm might be more neutral, but I don't want to have to need an amp.

Don't think I want closed because open is just ... better.  Although Beyer recommends closed for rock, which surprised me.  Maybe for the heightened low freqs?

But I am *not* a basshead.  I listen to all kinds of rock, plus a little jazz and classical.

Am I on the right path?  For those of you that have been here a while, maybe any past threads or posts to point me to?

Trying to slowly compare all the major makers at a roughly similar pricepoint/performance level (kinda sorta).  Have Grados and the AD700's, just got AKG 601's, and now looking at Beyerdynamic.

Jul 29, 2010 at 4:02 AM Post #2 of 23
For highest versatility, you could go with the 32 ohm version of the DT880. They will be compatible with all kinds of equipment - portable and stand-alone but you'd rather choose a solid state amp in the future to drive them.

Jul 29, 2010 at 6:11 AM Post #3 of 23
Go with the DT440 instead (or DT250-80 if closed). DT880-32 still needs an amp from what I have read.

Jul 29, 2010 at 2:31 PM Post #5 of 23

hmm i had the dt880 250 ohm before and it will require an amp to drive it. tried to audition it with a sansa clip on full volume. it was an epic fail: on full volume i can barely make out anything. glad i trusted my intuition and bought it even if i can barely hear anything...

these were the cans that addicted me to the beyer line. right now though i would recommend the 600 ohm version. both will require amps to drive them :)

they are surprisingly good for a lot of genres. they do not have the same grado in-your-face aggressiveness but they will make up for it with the immense detail resolution, clarity, and wide soundstage. bass is ample, not pounding. these are the characteristics which make them suited as my go-to cans. try to audition them if you can, especially the 600 ohm version...

Jul 29, 2010 at 2:40 PM Post #6 of 23

Quote:

hmm i had the dt880 250 ohm before and i will require an amp to drive it. tried to audition it with a sansa clip on full volume. it was an epic fail: on full volume i can barely make out anything. glad i trusted my intuition and bought it even if i can barely hear anything :)

these were the cans that addicted me to the beyer line. right now though i would recommend the 600 ohm version. both will require amps to drive them :)

True from my experience on everything (well... except for the Sansa part...i have an iPod).
Not much difference in pushing the 250 or 600 ohm, but a lot of difference in the sound.

shane

Jul 29, 2010 at 3:52 PM Post #7 of 23
The other option is to go with the DT250, which also has a neutral sound (some use it as a monitor headphone because it makes everything sound "right"), but is significantly easier to drive.

Never underestimate the studio Beyers.

Jul 29, 2010 at 7:08 PM Post #8 of 23
DT48...Without much question.. Probably more so then the T1 as well.. But too be fair I'd like to A/B them..

Just a few quotes..

Regarding your question about the DF's they are flat as they come within the realm of normal headphones. But the DT48 is on a different plane of flatness -- the DFs are literally nowhere near the DT48's in terms of neutrality. Of the headphones of heard, nothing is (including my K1000's)
Milezone

I think you'll be really surprised what the neutrality of these headphones sounds like. (I hope it'll be a pleasant surprise. ) For me, it has become an ultimate reference, because it puts all other headphones I've heard in a different perspective. How I judge them now is all in relation to the sound of the DT-48E.
Drosera

For me the most striking similarity between the HD800 and the DT48 is the frequency response from higher lows to lower highs, which is pretty damn neutral with both headphones.
Drosera

The DT48 is simply real. It's hard to describe exactly, but there is something very special about the DT48. The neutrality and transparency completely win me over. One of the reasons I bought the HD-800 was because its transparency is much like the DT48.
Uncle Erik

So, yeah.. I doub't any other Beyer is more neutral even the T1 probably, but tha's pure assumption, as I never heard the T1 before..

Jul 29, 2010 at 8:17 PM Post #9 of 23
Excellent. 
smile_phones.gif
  Learned some stuff I didn't know.

I have K240DF's, and I have to have an amp to drive those.  So maybe I should look at the 880/600's anyway.

Need to research the 440's and the DT48's, don't know anything them.

Well, I have a text file with a whole bunch of comments on flat, neutral, headphones, and I do have a lot of positive cut and pasted comments on the DT48's !

Jul 29, 2010 at 8:29 PM Post #10 of 23
I was comparing the dt250 to the dt48, and the mids of the dt48 sound quite a bit more natural to my ears...more like reality...whether we're talking about the sound of acoustic instruments or voice.

Jul 29, 2010 at 9:45 PM Post #11 of 23
Yes, the DT48 is very flat and neutral. But it is not like anything else. Some are crazy about them and others don't like them at all. I'm very pleased that the DT48 works for me - it is one of my favorite references.

Jul 29, 2010 at 11:51 PM Post #12 of 23
yeah2.... DT48 has really good for treble and midrange, but for me, when I hear a song, I also want to hear the bass drum, and DT48 just can't offering it (FYI, I'm totally not basshead) 
tongue_smile.gif

@OP
neutral means flat? if that so, vote for DT250.

Jul 30, 2010 at 12:02 AM Post #13 of 23
It's bass you can hear & seldom feel... Going by charts/FR.. I believe the 48's are more flat..

Quote:
yeah2.... DT48 has really good for treble and midrange, but for me, when I hear a song, I also want to hear the bass drum, and DT48 just can't offering it (FYI, I'm totally not basshead) 
tongue_smile.gif

@OP
neutral means flat? if that so, vote for DT250.

Jul 30, 2010 at 12:15 AM Post #14 of 23

I have a lot of copy & paste about the DT48.. Many find it hard to believe a 73 yr old design can compete (Myself included) with or better the majority of todays headphones in many areas.. So, instead of just giving my opinion.. I list others.. I also use it as a defense against those who claim they are the worst headphone every created.. Some have more cred then me, so their opinion & ownership of better headphones carry more weight.. I have many 'cut & paste.' I have a DT48 praise blog with praise you don't hear from a headphone with a MSRP of 449.00.. It's not just stuff I pull out of my arse.. I just quote what others say.

Just ask yourself this question.. Why would 2 HD800 owners own 2 & 5 DT48's?? There must be something to them..

You live in Santa Clara? You can audition my 6 or 7 DT48e/s/a models from the 50's to 08 if you like.. A audition won't do them justice but will give you sense of how they  sound. My GP is getting upgraded to V9 this week.. I also have the oppo83se..Albeit doesn't synergize as well with my DT48's as my modded BC2.. Overly analytical & sound sterile IMO.. But still offers quite a listening experience if you can over look those 2 factors..
Quote:
Excellent. 
smile_phones.gif
  Learned some stuff I didn't know.

I have K240DF's, and I have to have an amp to drive those.  So maybe I should look at the 880/600's anyway.

Need to research the 440's and the DT48's, don't know anything them.

Well, I have a text file with a whole bunch of comments on flat, neutral, headphones, and I do have a lot of positive cut and pasted comments on the DT48's !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back