Neurochrome Modulus86 Build
Jul 18, 2016 at 9:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

sceleratus

Previously known as Iamnothim
My son has undertaken to build Tom Christiansen's (Neurochrome), solid state Modulus86 amplifier and differential pre-amp.  He has completed most of the boards and has started the Douglas Self (Signal Transfer Company) balanced phono preamp and power supply.

In my DG300b setup I paired Self's preamp with a Rega RP3/Exact cart combo.   To my ears, it sounds sublime. 

Since he's getting close I have started on the "enclosure", so-to-speak.   Grant hinted that he liked my audio table and wanted one... so I killed two birds with one enclosure.  Since there are no tubes, I am building the Modulus 86 right into the table.  Like the old days with large wood radio cabinets and consoles.   The Mod86 will be in the center cavity on the left side.  The right cavity will hold the phono preamp, DAC's etc.  Turntable on top next to my picture..... right.   A kind friend turned a bunch of zebra wood knobs for the project.

I am investigating getting a pair of 15" Tannoy drivers and building the old school Tannoy boxes rather than another set of MLT's.  My neighbor has a pair and will give them a listen when the amp is done.

Her's another photo of the DG300B and the table so those playing at home can follow along.  The control bezel (knobs) will be in the middle, zebra wood, band on the left.   I haven't cut it down yet. 

Aug 11, 2016 at 1:08 PM Post #2 of 2
  My son has undertaken to build Tom Christiansen's (Neurochrome), solid state Modulus86 amplifier and differential pre-amp.  He has completed most of the boards and has started the Douglas Self (Signal Transfer Company) balanced phono preamp and power supply.

In my DG300b setup I paired Self's preamp with a Rega RP3/Exact cart combo.   To my ears, it sounds sublime. 

Since he's getting close I have started on the "enclosure", so-to-speak.   Grant hinted that he liked my audio table and wanted one... so I killed two birds with one enclosure.  Since there are no tubes, I am building the Modulus 86 right into the table.  Like the old days with large wood radio cabinets and consoles.   The Mod86 will be in the center cavity on the left side.  The right cavity will hold the phono preamp, DAC's etc.  Turntable on top next to my picture..... right.   A kind friend turned a bunch of zebra wood knobs for the project.

I am investigating getting a pair of 15" Tannoy drivers and building the old school Tannoy boxes rather than another set of MLT's.  My neighbor has a pair and will give them a listen when the amp is done.

Her's another photo of the DG300B and the table so those playing at home can follow along.  The control bezel (knobs) will be in the middle, zebra wood, band on the left.   I haven't cut it down yet. 

You are doing some amazing work. If you ever want to build another such table, please contact me and we will see what we can figure out. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back