Neumann NDH 30
Nov 16, 2023 at 2:01 PM Post #4,306 of 4,972
The DT 1990 is more punchy whereas the Amiron Home is more effortless.
Thanks, that at is what I've reading, mostly curiosity as I've not heard Beyers for decades almost, good candidates for pad rolling and if can find one cheap might go the Amiron Home as I've some possible compatible pads and a balanced cable. Hobby stuff. :)

Nov 16, 2023 at 2:41 PM Post #4,308 of 4,972
Thanks, that at is what I've reading, mostly curiosity as I've not heard Beyers for decades almost, good candidates for pad rolling and if can find one cheap might go the Amiron Home as I've some possible compatible pads and a balanced cable. Hobby stuff. :)
Yeah I personally prefer the Amiron of the two as even though it’s colored I thought it was a slightly better headphone overall. I also found them more easily to manipulate to what sound you want with pad rolling, mods, eq, etc. In the states for the price of $360 new, I think they’re about the best you can buy from a fidelity standpoint. The DT 1990 is a lot more expensive at $530. Both were $600 on release. Professional and Audiophile Beyers are tuned differently from each other, while there are similarities also expect notable differences. Due to this, I can easily see people preferring one over the other though. Not sure about their prices elsewhere.

What was the main thing that caused you to let go of the NDH-30?

Last edited:
Nov 16, 2023 at 3:13 PM Post #4,309 of 4,972
In the states for the price of $360 new, I
Saw that, not shipping to Canada though..eh!
What was the main thing that caused you to let go of the NDH-30?
Voiced many of my concerns, but at the end of the day for my preferences I was just not drawn to them so I did not see them getting much head time.
As the gentleman at Custom Cans, Jason so eloquently put it, "I like a crisp exciting headphone", maybe not all the time but believe I got that covered with a few already and the Amiron might be a good compromise.

Last edited:
Nov 19, 2023 at 12:17 PM Post #4,310 of 4,972
The one negative that nobody talks about is the very poor microphonics of the cable. Especially with the ones from fogcity and hart.
Its not quite as bad with stock which i believe is because the connector to the phone is rubber coated and hence dampens the sound a bit.
Since i move around a lot its sometimes slightly annoying.
Still all in all especially the hart does make a noticeable difference in sound quality. Wish it was rubber coated like stock. Would gladly pay extra.

Nov 20, 2023 at 4:53 PM Post #4,311 of 4,972
The one negative that nobody talks about is the very poor microphonics of the cable. Especially with the ones from fogcity and hart.
Its not quite as bad with stock which i believe is because the connector to the phone is rubber coated and hence dampens the sound a bit.
Since i move around a lot its sometimes slightly annoying.
Still all in all especially the hart does make a noticeable difference in sound quality. Wish it was rubber coated like stock. Would gladly pay extra.
Maybe this could help a little:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/the...y-austrian-audio.969871/page-65#post-17794513

Nov 20, 2023 at 11:45 PM Post #4,312 of 4,972
No offense to Beyerdynamic, I have owned probably all of their headphones at one point in my life. The DT1990 is a far cry from the NDH30, not only the tonality is a big problem on it but the technical performance, layering, Instrument and vocal separation , pinpoint precision and transient response is a big step behind the Neumann. I'm eagerly waiting for a refresh since they delivered the 700 and 900 prox with much better tonality, still not spot on but a big leap forward for Beyerdynamic compared to their older headphones. There are many die hard fans of those older Beyerdynamics though, so you might still be happy with it.

Nov 21, 2023 at 9:32 AM Post #4,313 of 4,972
The DT1990 is a far cry from the NDH30, not only the tonality is a big problem on it but the technical performance, layering, Instrument and vocal separation , pinpoint precision and
Cannot comment on the DT1990 but the Amiron Home that I did pick up have a similar stage width to the HDH30 but do not as you say have pinpoint precision... but with their extended treble the Beyerdynamic have more going on and tend to magnify the performers with more overlap while still keeping them at arms length so not great for mixing but still with good depth and layering . For me the Neumann where excellent at lining things up in a horizontal row which was great for movies which are presented in different channels. The Amiron Home I believe were obviously designed more for entertainment and that aural illusion, unlike the Sen HD660S2 for example the the Beyerdynamic are capable of keeping the aural illusion outside of the head and extending outward and so are less intimate or in the head, the Neumann were similar to the Amiron in that way but shallower.
transient response is a big step behind the Neumann.
..that I'm still working on but as I voiced previously that was one area that the NDH30 let me down.

Last edited:
Nov 21, 2023 at 12:32 PM Post #4,315 of 4,972
I don't hear Amiron, but as far as I know Amiron use the driver from DT1770 an his frequency responds is different from DT1990.
DT1990 with Analytical Pads comes for me nearer to K812 and the new Composer.
With the DT1990 (analytical pads) I did not notice any disturbing missing instrument and vocal separation.
Nearer are not equal ..... K812 or Composer offers a bit more details, more airy between Artists. Composer don't have upper treble peaks as K818 or DT1990.

https://diyaudioheaven.wordpress.com/headphones/measurements/brands-a-i/dt-1990-pro/
https://diyaudioheaven.wordpress.com/headphones/measurements/brands-a-i/amiron/

Amiron Home.png
DT1990 analytic & balanced pads.png
Amiron, DT1990, DT1770.png

Last edited:
Nov 21, 2023 at 1:13 PM Post #4,316 of 4,972
Cannot comment on the DT1990 but the Amiron Home that I did pick up have a similar stage width to the HDH30 but do not as you say have pinpoint precision... but with their extended treble the Beyerdynamic have more going on and tend to magnify the performers with more overlap while still keeping them at arms length so not great for mixing but still with good depth and layering . For me the Neumann where excellent at lining things up in a horizontal row which was great for movies which are presented in different channels. The Amiron Home I believe were obviously designed more for entertainment and that aural illusion, unlike the Sen HD660S2 for example the the Beyerdynamic are capable of keeping the aural illusion outside of the head and extending outward and so are less intimate or in the head, the Neumann were similar to the Amiron in that way but shallower.

..that I'm still working on but as I voiced previously that was one area that the NDH30 let me down.
One day you may be able to compare all your Beyerdynamics with your 2nd Neumann NDH 30 - a black one! :darthsmile:

Nov 21, 2023 at 1:42 PM Post #4,317 of 4,972
I don't hear Amiron, but as far as I know Amiron use the driver from DT1770 an his frequency responds is different from DT1990.
Interesting they would use a driver from a closed back, Neuman used the driver from the open backed HD560S for the NDH30, the NDH20 borrowed a modified driver (don't quote me) from the closed back HD630VB which was purposely designed for a closed enclosure.
K812 or Composer offers a bit more details, more airy between Artists. Composer don't have upper treble peaks as K818 or DT1990.
The Amiron Home is a pretty smooth performer so no peakiness at all and I'd assume a lot less analytical than the DT1990, from what I've gathered Beyerdynamic focused on opening up the sound stage while keeping an easy listening headphone, not an easy task with controlled or smooth high frequencies. Wouldn't call it a detail oriented phone, but not really Beyerdynamic's objective as I noted, so differs from the NDH30 in that regard.

Last edited:
Nov 21, 2023 at 2:25 PM Post #4,318 of 4,972
Interesting they would use a driver from a closed back, Neuman used the driver from the open backed HD560S for the NDH30, the NDH20 borrowed a modified driver (don't quote me) from the closed back HD630VB which was purposely designed for a closed enclosure.

The Amiron Home is a pretty smooth performer so no peakiness at all and I'd assume a lot less analytical than the DT1990, from what I've gathered Beyerdynamic focused on opening up the sound stage while keeping an easy listening headphone, not an easy task with controlled or smooth high frequencies. Wouldn't call it a detail oriented phone, but not really Beyerdynamic's objective as I noted, so differs from the NDH30 in that regard.
The part numbers of the DT 1770 and Amiron Home drivers are the same so seems like it. The DT 1990 has a different part number for its driver. The DT 1990 has a "dryness" to their sound the Amiron Home and DT 1770 don't, it stayed there even when I swapped drivers between the Amiron Home and DT 1990 Pro so not a housing thing. The T1.3 and T5.3 drivers use the same part number as well. I think Beyer have been doing that for a while, maybe some slight tweaks but their open and closed headphone drivers seem practically the same.

Last edited:
Nov 21, 2023 at 3:06 PM Post #4,320 of 4,972
Surely it’s only a matter of correct enclosure design, damping and driver tuning for closed or open, not a case of different drivers for open or closed per se.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back