networking problem
Apr 4, 2006 at 1:28 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

acs236

Headphoneus Supremus
We had a thunderstorm last night. My network was out this morning. I connected by cable modem directly to my computer and it works fine. When I connect it back to the router it doesn't work. I can access the router through my computer fine, but it's clear that the router, for some reason, isn't grabbing an IP and autoconfiging correctly, even though my computer does.

It seems odd that the router would be damaged in only this particular way, as it still functions as a switch and I can go through all of the configuration menus.

Has anyone had this problem? Could it possibly be a bad router?

Apr 4, 2006 at 2:09 AM Post #2 of 5
Linksys, isn't it? They do that. Mine's done it twice in the 3 months I've owned it. Disconnect everything from the router. Power it down for about 5 minutes. Plug the power back in and wait a few seconds. Plug the cable modem in and wait about a minute. Then plug the computers back in and everything should be fine. Merely power-cycling the router will NOT work.

I cannot give you a valid reason why this works. Heck, I'm a CompSci major and I'm baffled. All I know is that I found it on the Linksys support forums and it's worked 3 times for me (2 at my house, one on a friend's).

Apr 4, 2006 at 3:03 AM Post #3 of 5
I have had the same problem with my Linksys wireless router. It works properly for a few weeks than decides to shut off 4-5 times in one day, then its fine again for a while.

I just unplug the power from the router for about 5 seconds. Once I plug the power back in, the router works again. This works most of the time.

I will try Arainach's suggestion next time.

I wish I would've known about this before I purchased the router.

Apr 4, 2006 at 3:12 AM Post #4 of 5
Thanks for the suggestion. It is a Linksys -- but it didn't work. I wish there was a way to test if something was wrong with the router before I buy another one.
mad.gif

Apr 4, 2006 at 4:39 AM Post #5 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by acs236
Thanks for the suggestion. It is a Linksys -- but it didn't work. I wish there was a way to test if something was wrong with the router before I buy another one.
mad.gif

Are you sure you left it unplugged for long enough? Are you sure everything is set up correctly with it?

If so - unplug everything, power cycle it properly - restart it to defaults - power cycle again - and set it up exactly how you want it (using the manula if need be).

Hopefully that will work.

Rob.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back