Netbook or a Ipod touch 32gb
Apr 19, 2009 at 7:01 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 32

cylanes

100+ Head-Fier
I`m considering both, a netbook and a touch. But I only have enough money to buy one item. So what do you guys think ?

I`ll use it during my commute to work.

3 reasons for a touch.

- smaller, better portability
- apps
- better sq

3 reasons for a netbook

- qwerty keyboard
- bigger screen
- almost desktop experience

dunno, in fact it`s stupid unfair comparison

Apr 19, 2009 at 10:44 PM Post #4 of 32
Rumor has it a 32g iPhone if thats any interest since getting my 3g iPhone its all the portable I need now I don't walk around with a Batman utility belt lol.

Apr 19, 2009 at 11:04 PM Post #5 of 32
I can comment on this one. I used to crave for a netbook. I love portability, so these new toys appealed a LOT to me. However, before I plunged, I ended up upgrading my mp3 rig by getting a 2nd Gen 32gb iPod Touch and since then, had no cravings for a netbook at all...
biggrin.gif

Apr 19, 2009 at 11:13 PM Post #7 of 32
I just went through a similar decision and decided to go with the Netbook which I am using right now to type this message.

I bought a Dell Mini 9 and am running OS X on it which works perfectly.

You can get the same computer, but made as a Vostro right now for $199 with an 8GB SSD and 512MB of RAM (buy yourself a 2GB DIMM for less than the 1GB upgrade from Dell). it also has a built-in memory card slot so you can buy a 32GB SDHC card for additional storage.

Much of my decision was based on the fact that the iPhone 3.0 software will allow Bluetooth tethering for data transmission. That way, I can tether to the phone with the netbook and browse at 3G speeds on a full function browser (I'm using Firefox right now). Then, if I am in an place that offers Wi-Fi, I can connect with the netbook and browse just as I would if I had the iPod Touch. Yes, the netbook is bigger than an iPod touch but it is still very portable.

Another factor is the size of my music library. Even though I have not ripped all my CDs, my MP3 folder is just over 100GB. Using the 160GB Classic that I have now lets me bring my entire ripped collection with me and provides excellent battery life. Having to manage my collection to decide what I want to bring with me on any given day just doesn't interest me.

I like my netbook so much that I bought 2 more, one for each parent. Though I am using OS X, the Dell distro of Ubuntu is so easy to use that anyone can use it to do things like web browsing or checking email. It even has a built-in PDF writer and Open Office comes pre-installed.

EDIT: Link to the Vostro sale: http://configure.us.dell.com/dellsto...top-vostro-a90

Apr 20, 2009 at 3:36 AM Post #8 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wait.

Apple has new toys to be announced in June. Hold off for a few weeks to see what turns up.

Indeed.

Apr 21, 2009 at 10:39 PM Post #9 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by leftnose /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I bought a Dell Mini 9 and am running OS X on it which works perfectly.

What? WHAT? How can this be? You has secrets. You must share.

Apr 21, 2009 at 11:17 PM Post #11 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wait.

Apple has new toys to be announced in June. Hold off for a few weeks to see what turns up.

in fact there are some rumors of an Apple netbook...probably an oversized iphone.

Apr 21, 2009 at 11:22 PM Post #12 of 32
If it was on me, I'd wait or go with the iPod Touch. I never really liked netbooks, they're too big for your pockets, and the ones I've used (Dell, Sony, ASUS, etc.) seemed like they were too small to be of much use. The Touch on the other hand, is small, but has better apps. If you aren't going to use it for work of something, then go for an iPod touch.

Apr 21, 2009 at 11:35 PM Post #13 of 32
I always find it funny that people even bother saying anything about apps. A gimped iphone versus a full functioning windows system should be a no brainer in terms of applications. You don't need a dedicated app store, just general knowlege to really get your netbook running well for multiple purposes.

You should go for an itouch if you're using it for purely commuting though, especially on public transportation. You don't want to be hauling a laptop in and out of a bag or sleeven when you may be in a crowded bus/rail. Really the smaller footprint comes in handy during public situations like that. I want an itouch for the very reason that I can't use my 1000he everywhere due to space constraints.

Both have their own use, but if you want a mobile entertainment toy and don't play late 1990's to early 2000's computer games, just go for an itouch. (I play WC3 on my 1000he and it runs decently)

Apr 22, 2009 at 1:50 AM Post #14 of 32
you should wait till june, but not becuase of the new offerings from the apple sect towards its slaves, but becuase Q3 and Q4 all the new touchscreen netbooks will start poping up, that means that you fold the keyboard behind the device and it becomes a tablet, isnt as hard to handle as a full netbook with keyboard, but its there when you need it,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back