Neophyte with IEM cable woes (and some DIY questions)
Sep 1, 2022 at 4:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

snuggleton

New Head-Fier
Welcome to my inaugural post. I've been lurking this board for a while and I really dig the vibes!

I've been enjoying my first pair of IEM's for a little under a year now, but I've gone through a succession of crummy cables. I started with a generic one off of eBay, and I've moved up to one's with actual names from Linsoul and ones from a guy off of Aliexpress who was recommended in discussions here.

Specifically, almost all of my problems happen with the inline remote unit. Buttons don't work, or the mic doesn't work, or the unit randomly jams the volume all the way up or down, or the thing starts out working fine but starts doing any of the above after a couple of weeks.

I've got a growing stack of unusable cables, and I hate e-waste!

I've begun wondering if this is a good opportunity to learn to use the soldering iron I bought a while back. Maybe I could even replace the MMCX connectors on one of them with a TRS and use it with my Master & Dynamic MH30!

So! Here are my questions:
• Anybody got recommendations for a cable with a rock solid remote unit that definitely won't crap out?
• Anybody have advice on sourcing inline remote units? I've so far been unable to successfully search for such a thing.
• Any resources out there to help me educate myself on how the wiring for the remote works? I found some tutorials about how to do drivers and TRS plugs but I think I'll be in over my head enough to need some fairly specific guidance.
• Should I try washing the remotes somehow? I tried looking into this but it sounds like getting the mic wet is a bad idea.

Thanks in advance for any insight!

Sep 2, 2022 at 11:11 AM Post #2 of 3
Remotes and their wiring is a matter of brand as some decided to help the world by using their own ring order on the plugs.
So the matter is usually about the remote itself(what brand it was intended for), and what device it's plugged into. If you're confident, you can probably rewire one to work on the other.

I would suggest to clearly state what you're using(player/cellphone, remote, maybe a picture if it can seem to help clarify something) because it's not clear for me and perhaps not for someone who could actually help.
All I can say is that a TSR plug is the minimum for the IEM alone, but here you need some more rings and wires for the remote itself and the mic. So, not a TSR plug.

Sep 2, 2022 at 2:27 PM Post #3 of 3
Hi! Thanks for responding, and for the tips.

I usually have my IEM's plugged into a USB-C adapter (with its own cheap little DAC) which is plugged into my Android phone.

When I mentioned a TRS plug earlier, I may have been needlessly muddying my description of the situation. I have a pair of headphones that uses an external cable via a TRS connection. But those headphones are not the IEM's I'm talking about and they aren't directly related to my problems with the remotes.

I guess what I really want to know is: Where can I find a really good, reliable inline remote with a microphone that I can use to replace the flaky ones on the cables I've been buying?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back