Need to replace Pansonic HJE-900
Oct 3, 2011 at 6:47 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

Donut

100+ Head-Fier
So I've recently discovered that the right earbud on my Panasonic HJE-900s is going out [sadly it is the earbud and not just the cable, which I could've replaced]. So now I'm hunting for a replacement/upgrade. I like what I read about the VSonic GR07 & the Fischer Audio DBA-02. The problem is twofold: one, I'm not entirely sure if I've got my options down, and two, the Fischer Audio DBA-02 apparently doesn't exist anymore, as I have not been able to find it in stock anywhere.

My source is a Sansa Clip+; my music is a variation of all types, nonspecific; my budget is in the $150-170 range, though $180 is pushing it a bit. I'm hoping to snag a new pair in the next month or so, so ideas & opinions are welcome.

Oct 3, 2011 at 2:15 PM Post #2 of 13
I've had the same problem with one earbud going out, but luckily it seems I'm not the only one and I was able to find replacement earbuds for $40-50. If you want to continue using the hje900's repairing is the way to go. If you're set on getting a new IEM however you can still recoup some of the money by selling your set for spares. And also the Brainwavz B2 is supposedly the same phone as the DBA-02, theyre made in the same factory with almost identical sound signatures.

Oct 3, 2011 at 4:52 PM Post #3 of 13
Hmm. Well, I'll go hunting for replacement earbuds, because I do very much like the HJE-900s; in the meantime, I'll still look into buying a new set entirely.

Oct 4, 2011 at 12:48 AM Post #4 of 13
I have the HJE-900 and B2 (DBA-02) and I prefer the B2. My source is a Sansa Fuse v2 (Rockboxed), which is suppose to be identical to the Clip+ sound-wise. I prefer it over the HJE-900 because it is a very versatile iem. It can do anything I through at it very well. The B2 is very detail and smooth sounding iem with good bass quantity. Although 95% of the time I usually listen to it normally occassionally when the bass is not enough I just increase the gain on the bass and it the iem will give you the bass. The bass can reach ear thumping/shattering level with-out sounding boomy and bloated while still retaining a good amount of detail.

Oct 4, 2011 at 7:03 AM Post #5 of 13
That's interesting, because the B2 just showed up on the Deals thread.

I did wind up pulling the trigger on the GR07 after seeing a post on said deals thread, but I might not be able to help myself with the B2.

It's true what they say...this site is hell on your wallet.

Feb 15, 2012 at 10:53 AM Post #6 of 13
I lost one of my HJE-900 earbuds and I am desperate for a replacement. Could anybody possibly sell me one or point me in the direction of somebody who could? I'm kind of freaking out right now I adore these IEMS

Feb 15, 2012 at 11:20 AM Post #7 of 13
The HJE900 will be difficult to replace if you want something that sounds like it -- it has a very unique sound and presentation.  About the best you can do is find another earphone with similar levels of bass and treble, and maybe some additional mids since the HJE900 is so scalloped in the mids.

You might want to look at the Sony EX600, if you think the odd shape will fit your ear.  Also the Brainwavz M3 might be a similar option.  Both of these are dynamic driver earphones.

The Brainwavz B2 would have an better sound, IMO, but a balanced armature earphone will be a very different sound type compared to the HJE900, and it may take your brain a while to appreciate the more accurate, but flatter, sound presentation.

Feb 15, 2012 at 11:33 AM Post #8 of 13
Truth be told I cannot really afford another pair of headphones right now.
There's gotta be someone around here with a spare HJE-900 earpiece right?
I'm not ready to part with these guys just yet.

Feb 15, 2012 at 1:17 PM Post #9 of 13
Quote:
Truth be told I cannot really afford another pair of headphones right now.
There's gotta be someone around here with a spare HJE-900 earpiece right?
I'm not ready to part with these guys just yet.

I guess you are asking a stranger to loan you a pair of their $120 earphones?  You might find someone hear willing to be generous toward you, but you probably should start saving your money to replace them.

Feb 15, 2012 at 2:07 PM Post #10 of 13
No. I'm wondering if anybody else has an extra HJE-900 earpiece lying around.
Someone else who was in a similar situation maybe. I expect no charity I am more than willing to buy the piece. I just cannot afford a brand new set of phones right. Not when my current HJE-900s are in working condition except for that one piece.

Feb 15, 2012 at 3:34 PM Post #11 of 13
So you are saying the right side earphone is not working?  If so, it's likely the actual driver is OK, but the cabling is bad somewhere -- it could be at the jack, which can be replaced or re-terminated pretty easily.  Have you tried unplugging the cables at the earphones and swapping the cables?  That will tell you if the problem is in the earphone/driver or in the cable.  And, the cable can be replaced with a Sleek Audio cable, IIRC.

Feb 15, 2012 at 5:49 PM Post #13 of 13
Gotcha.  Too bad they aren't Etymotics -- you could send them back in and for $75 get entirely new drivers in both ears!  Have no idea if Panasonic has any warranty service on the HJE900.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back