Need to know how to braid in different ways and with varying numbers of wires.
Jan 19, 2010 at 9:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

drummerdimitri

500+ Head-Fier
Hello people, I know this has been asked many times before, but I've failed to find a simplistic tutorial that summarizes all the types of braids I've seen in the DIY gallery. I will mostly be using either 3 or 4 wires and braid them together to make a few interconnects now that I have ordered an exhaustive list of parts from moon audio. So any personal tutorials or ones that dont require you to read a novel in order to understand how to make different kinds of braids with varying numbers of wires would be very useful.
Thanks!

Jan 19, 2010 at 11:21 PM Post #2 of 9
Maybe this will help
tongue.gif

Hair Braiding Basics: How to Make French Braids, English Braids, Dutch & Fishtail Braid Hair Styles

Jan 20, 2010 at 12:43 AM Post #4 of 9
tutorial litz braid

I did this long time ago, and the pictures where lost when head fi went out a couple of years ago, and the photo section was removed.

I never got around to upload everything again, but the text might be helpful!

Good luck and show your results in the forums!

Jan 20, 2010 at 12:47 AM Post #5 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by drummerdimitri /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is this where all the DIYers went to find out how to braid? Why cant anyone tell me how to do it in their own words?

Because it's much easier to point out the resources that someone can use rather than answer every single question that someone asks. Google Litz braiding, that's generally the most used around here.

Jan 21, 2010 at 4:27 AM Post #6 of 9
Here is the short and simple round litz braid instruction sheet for you:

Start with the four wires side by side.

a. Take the leftmost wire and cross it OVER its TWO neighbors.

b. Take the rightmost wire and cross it OVER its ONE neighbor.

c. Take the leftmost wire and cross it UNDER its TWO neighbors.

d. Take the rightmost wire and cross it UNDER its ONE neighbor.

Repeat steps a-d until done.

This is the only braid I use and is the most common one used here unless someone shortcuts a mini to mini with just a three wire standard braid. I have also used a starquad or double twist as well, which in theory should provide better noise rejection if done properly. Twist signal an ground together for each channel and then twist them together. If done properly they should fit just right into each others grooves and form a compact, very flexible cable. Nothing beats a naked round litz in looks though
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 21, 2010 at 1:45 PM Post #9 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chingyul /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Does anyone have a flat braid tutorial?

For a four wire flat braid, you can use the round instructions, but instead of going under for the second two steps, just continue with the the first two steps. Always with the outermost wires starting on the left side, just think to your self, over two (from the left), over one (from the right), over two (from the left), over one (from the right). It is quite meditative if you are doing a long wire.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back