Need to downgrade from Leben CS-300X to another Headphone/Speaker Amp. Need alittle help please.
Aug 26, 2011 at 11:27 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

mlantinen

Member of the Trade: Martin Custom Audio
Here's a funny one for ya.  Most people are perfectly happy with their Leben's...including myself.  But I need to downgrade to recoup alittle nest egg. 

So, I need an Integrated with Headphone out and Passive Speaker Taps.  Here's what I'm thinking:

1) Peachtree Nova ($750 to $1,000)- Seems to have plenty of good reviews but I've also read it's alittle dark and the tube output section should be stayed away from. 

2) Consonance M-10S ($1,100)- Not much info out there regarding this one.  Looks like a well built little amp though and I'm starting lean toward it alittle.

3) Audio GD Panther/Fun Combo ($600-700ish)- The Panther has been out of production for awhile but can be found floating around.  This would be the solid state of the bunch and I'd love to try it. 

4) Triode trv34se ($850)- There's a few favorable reviews out there.  Any one experience this amp?  I've read it doesn't really play nice with rock/metal which is alittle too aggressive for it. But it's a good price to maybe give it a shot anyway.  Maybe let my ears decide.

I mostly prefer Grado's, Denon's and Woody Fostex T50's and I listen primarily to Rock/Metal, Indy, Electronica type stuff with some bluesy stuff thrown is as well.

Any recommendations?  Words of advice? 

-Marty

Aug 26, 2011 at 11:38 AM Post #2 of 17
Marty that Consanace is an issue because they do not service stuff. Many dealers stop importing their products so I would be careful.  Check out the Decware site and see if something fits into what your looking for. I have not heard the other two but if you want one amp for speakers and headphones their is also the Ming Da that will do that for about 400.00 from pacific Valves

Aug 26, 2011 at 11:47 AM Post #3 of 17
Thanks Frank. I used to have a the Ming Da MC84-07 that you speak of. It was my first foray into tubes and I liked it alot....but I want to try something different.

I just searched the Decware site in hopes that they finally had an all-in-one but I didn't see anything. They make stunning amps. I'd love to hear one sometime too.

Stinks about the Consonance. It looks really appealing.

Anyone else?

Aug 26, 2011 at 3:35 PM Post #4 of 17
CEntrance has a special on their upcoming DACmini PX till the end of August. The PX is essentially a CX that adds on 25 WPC speaker amp in the same form factor. Here's some info.

Aug 26, 2011 at 7:08 PM Post #6 of 17
What about a vintage tube integrated? I have a Fisher KX-100 and love it. You can get one for about $500 usually. In fact here is one (Note that I have no affiliation with and cannot vouch for this seller):

http://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?ampstube&1316974207&/Fisher-X-100-3-nosvalves.com-r

Aug 26, 2011 at 7:44 PM Post #7 of 17
Sticking with Skylab's recommendation of vintage gear, I myself use the Pioneer SX-1250 on a daily basis and love it, although I do not have the same cans you do.

P.S.
Let me know when you're ready to move the Leben onto the next lucky Head-fier
wink.gif

Aug 26, 2011 at 11:04 PM Post #8 of 17
Thanks fellas.  I'll look into the vintage gear as well.  Just don't want something too big and heavy since it's sitting on my desk.  The Leben is about as big a form factor as I can go.  

I've looked into quite a few more options including some Chinese made stuff like Yaqin, but I'd like to stick with American, Japanese and German.  

I've got a Peachtree dealer in town so I'll be heading there tomorrow with some stock 325 Goldies, and woodied D7ks, and D2ks.  

Yes....I'm sure the Leben will go quite fast.  Yuck....makes me sick to think about.  :p

Honestly...I still may try the Consonance or the Audio-GD gear.  The Consonance are readily available but the Audio GD gear is really tough to find.  I know Kingwa builds amazing SS.  

Yes, Mapletree would be awesome, but I've never seen an integrated with both speaker taps and can jack.  

Aug 27, 2011 at 12:20 PM Post #9 of 17
If I was going for a total budget system, I would try the bottlehead amp for $220.
Although I haven't tried it myself. There is a long thread about it here, if you wanted to read about it.

Aug 27, 2011 at 12:27 PM Post #10 of 17
The Bottlehead Crack is a very nice amp, but it isn't a great match for the low impedance headphones that the OP has.

Aug 28, 2011 at 10:44 AM Post #12 of 17
Itchy trigger finger.  Went to a local retailer and auditioned the Peachtree Nova.  I was impressed, but they also had a preamp and a high quality source feeding it.  Asked him what his best price was and $1,000 sounded pretty good and I try to buy locally when I can, besides...as consumers we want things naow.  

So brought it home and first fed my X-FI Titanium through it via RCA and was pretty disappointed (separation was not there, just kinda mushy and couldn't keep up with the attack), then I remembered that I should bypass the X-FI and go direct with USB.

Much better!  Overall, this is an impressive amp and will serve quite nicely.  I love having the ability to click over from tube to SS as needed.  This amp does lack the body and power of the Leben but, hey...time for a change and I can put the leftover $$ to use elsewhere. :)

Aug 28, 2011 at 10:48 AM Post #13 of 17

Quote:
Marty why not look for a nice Cary SL180 can be had for about 1800.00 on audiogon

Thanks again Frank, but I had decided I only wanted to spend about a grand and the Peachtree was available locally and at a decent price to boot.  

Aug 28, 2011 at 12:04 PM Post #14 of 17
Indeed I also have a Fisher amp but mine is the X-100-B. They sound incredibly good! I would recommend one as well.

Quote:
What about a vintage tube integrated? I have a Fisher KX-100 and love it. You can get one for about $500 usually. In fact here is one (Note that I have no affiliation with and cannot vouch for this seller):

http://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?ampstube&1316974207&/Fisher-X-100-3-nosvalves.com-r

Aug 28, 2011 at 12:07 PM Post #15 of 17
Remember to replace the crappy stock tubes with something nice! Old Mullard's and Amperex tubes would really make it sound much better! Your gear is only as good as the weakest link, in your case, the tube.

Quote:
Itchy trigger finger.  Went to a local retailer and auditioned the Peachtree Nova.  I was impressed, but they also had a preamp and a high quality source feeding it.  Asked him what his best price was and $1,000 sounded pretty good and I try to buy locally when I can, besides...as consumers we want things naow.  

So brought it home and first fed my X-FI Titanium through it via RCA and was pretty disappointed (separation was not there, just kinda mushy and couldn't keep up with the attack), then I remembered that I should bypass the X-FI and go direct with USB.

Much better!  Overall, this is an impressive amp and will serve quite nicely.  I love having the ability to click over from tube to SS as needed.  This amp does lack the body and power of the Leben but, hey...time for a change and I can put the leftover $$ to use elsewhere. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back