Need Timely Feedback Here....Amazon Shipping Log Jam!
Jan 23, 2012 at 9:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Focker

Headphoneus Supremus
Hey all...

Headphone noob here, just playign around a little with some entry level cans and gear until I get the funds ready for something a bit more robust.

Anyway, I found that I liked the sound quality of my Etymotic MC5s a little better than the Sennheiser 518 phones I had on hand, and that bothered me a little. So I started looking at a slightly better pair of phones, still toward the lower end of things, that would better the Etymotics in sound quality and also maybe be a little more portable than the Senns. I spent a fair amt of time doing some research and settled on a pair of Ultrasone Pro550s. I placed the order and was looking forward to them. Well, for whatever reason, the Grado SR80is just started screaming to me. I know Grado has a huge following (as well as a large number of detractors), and the feedback on their Prestige series was quite good.

So anyway, now I have both the Grados and the Ultrasones arriving here tomorrow, since when I went to cancel the order for the Ultrasones it was already too late for Amazon to do that. Since I'm still very new to headphones, I'm almost wondering if I should just accept both deliveries tomorrow and spend some time with both in order to get a feel for the entry level version of the house sound of both brands. It might be fun to compare them both to each other, as well as my Senns and Etymotics. On the other hand, I could just refuse the Ultrasones (I want the Grados for sure) and be $149 closer to my BeyerD T1s and/or Hifiman 400/500s.

I have until about 4pm tomorrow (Tuesday) so any feedback you guys have would be great....especially if you're familiar with both phones! :) 

Thanks!!

Focker Out

Jan 23, 2012 at 9:57 PM Post #2 of 5
It really depends on what kind of music you listen too. Grado's have an "in your face " sound signature, with a lot of emphasis on the mids and highs. Great for Rock and Metal. As you liked your Etymotic's, which are very neutral, you may not like the Grado's.

I've never tried the 550's, but it looks like they have an emphasis on bass. I'd suggest the Brainwavz HM5 if you are looking for a neutral set of cans.

Jan 23, 2012 at 10:08 PM Post #3 of 5
Thanks, Extra....never heard of the Brainwavz, so will add that to my short list!

I listen to mostly singer/songwriter, rock, and blues type music. Not much for Jazz or Country. I do enjoy some techno/club type music (e.g. DeadMau5) from time to time but it's not my focus.

Jan 23, 2012 at 10:11 PM Post #4 of 5
From my experience with amazon, they have been great with returns.  I would definitely recommend trying them both and see which one you like, and return one if you need to since they are both coming.  Return shipping to amazon is $3.99.  I know I have received some very helpful advice from this forum, however, it all comes down to your ears and preference.  I think words can only describe so much, and in this case, let your ears make the decision :wink:

Jan 23, 2012 at 10:24 PM Post #5 of 5
nsx, I couldn't agree more! Part of the fun of this hobby is researching the feedback of others, but you're right, the most important aspect is listening for yourself. I have some downtime at work and I want something of good quality to take with me. It's okay for the phones to be open backed, cause leakage won't bother anyone...so not worried about the Grados doing that. Neither of them will end up being my reference cans at home, but I do want something of quality for casual listening here and at work. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back