Need suggestions ...
Jul 1, 2014 at 12:53 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

SonicGoat

Head-Fier
Hi All,

This is my first post on this forum, though I have been lurking for a week or so, gathering information. For every one of my hobbies, there is a trusted forum to which I belong; I reckon this will be the place I return to for all my budding audiophile queries. 

Here's the deal, I work for a major retail store, and one of the few perks of the job are the tasty discounts we get on headphones (among other things). Having always coveted a nice pair of cans, I felt it behooved me to make the investment while working for the store. So I did about two weeks ago. I chose the over-the-ear Sennheiser Momentums -- which I didn't have the opportunity to try on before buying, as my store only has a limited assortment of headphones on hand -- but the finer cans may be transferred in from stores which do carry them. So I got the Momentums for around $150 with the discount, and boy are they lovely. Very elegant and understated, everything I could aesthetically ask for. Much nicer than the garish Beats by Dr. Dre.

However, I don't find the headphones especially comfortable. I've been wanting to like them, but it's hard to really embrace sound when not entirely comfortable. Thus, they will likely go back. Headphone makers really only have two objectives. Sound is one, obviously, and the other is Comfort. How could a top-of-the-line headphone not hit both criteria. In the world of haberdashery, one of the defining qualities of a well-made suit is fit -- meaning, it is universally a good fit. While cheaper suits, on the other hand, oftentimes need heavy tailoring.

Can't say the same for headphones. I have two pairs of cheap headphones which fit more comfortably than the Momentums. 

Tomorrow, I will take delivery of my HD598s. I'm excited to get a taste of the open-back design. Most of the time, I listen to music in the solitude of my apartment so they may be just what the doctor ordered. Plus, they have the reputation for being very comfortable. 

If the HD598s don't appeal to me, any suggestions for a very comfortable closed-back headphone for under $300, which I could presumably buy for less than $200 with my discount?

If I like the HD598s, honestly, I may complement them with a pair of Bose SoundTrues which are marked down from $180 to $94.50 w/ the discount. It would be nice to have something isolating, outrageously comfortable, and low impedance enough to be driven by a portable player while I draw at a local coffeehouse. Yes, I know, Bose has the reputation for being overpriced but for this application they fit the bill nicely. 

Thanks in advance,
Dan

Jul 1, 2014 at 5:32 AM Post #2 of 4
I think you probably made a good choice with the HD598's.  Definitely one of the more comfortable sets I've tried and its a pretty easy headphone to listen to IMO.  In the off-chance you don't like them, the Beyer line of DT770/880/990 are also extremely comfortable with roughly comparable sound quality.  Keep in mind that the 770's are closed, while the latter two are semi-open.  Oh, and the latter two will likely require an amp unless you get the 32ohm versions.

That being said, the DT770's may also fit your closed phones need (don't know if the 80ohms is too much for a portable player - there's also a 32ohm version). Some of V-moda's options were pretty comfortable as well. Can't speak much for other sets (Focal Spirit Pro, NAD Viso, Philips options) but I'm sure there are options that are just as good if not better.

In the end though, and while I don't know much about the newest Bose, previous Bose around-ears were very comfortable and not bad at isolating noise.  Sure, you could probably find better SQ elsewhere, but at almost 50% off, the Bose isn't exactly a terrible option.  They at least have the ergonomics down.

Jul 1, 2014 at 5:57 AM Post #3 of 4
I think you probably made a good choice with the HD598's.  Definitely one of the more comfortable sets I've tried and its a pretty easy headphone to listen to IMO.  In the off-chance you don't like them, the Beyer line of DT770/880/990 are also extremely comfortable with roughly comparable sound quality.  Keep in mind that the 770's are closed, while the latter two are semi-open.  Oh, and the latter two will likely require an amp unless you get the 32ohm versions.

That being said, the DT770's may also fit your closed phones need (don't know if the 80ohms is too much for a portable player - there's also a 32ohm version). Some of V-moda's options were pretty comfortable as well. Can't speak much for other sets (Focal Spirit Pro, NAD Viso, Philips options) but I'm sure there are options that are just as good if not better.

In the end though, and while I don't know much about the newest Bose, previous Bose around-ears were very comfortable and not bad at isolating noise.  Sure, you could probably find better SQ elsewhere, but at almost 50% off, the Bose isn't exactly a terrible option.  They at least have the ergonomics down.

+1 to what @wippo808 said.

I do like the Momentums a lot, I find them very comfortable as long as I don't try to stick my ears inside the cups :wink: When I just let them rest on the ears, they are very comfortable. However, my all time darlings are the HD598 - love them to bits. Most comfortable headphone for sure together with the T90 and DT770.

Depending on what you are listening to, the HD598 can be perfect. Am sure you will enjoy them.

cheers,
K

Jul 1, 2014 at 1:29 PM Post #4 of 4
Thanks guys for the responses, much appreciated! 

I should have mentioned what brands my store carries and therefore what brands  I can get a discount on. I’m mighty tempted to just come out with it and say where I work but I won’t; lest one of the powers that be at corporate is monitoring this thread, and though I never said anything damaging, merely the mention of EP be a cause worthy of termination? 

Anyhow, my store (very unfortunately) does not carry Beyerdynamics (only through 3rd Party = no discount). Nor do they carry Grados, HiFiMan, and others. From my research, BDs sound exactly what I’m looking for: exceedingly comfortable with great sound and build quality. 

Some of the high-end brands my store does carry are Sennheiser (obviously), AKG, Denon, Audio-Technica (no m50x — only the old ones), Bowers and Wilkins, some pricey Sonys, and many more I’m not yet as acquainted with. Funny you mention V-MODA, we have a sweet employee accommodation with them. Candidly, I haven’t fully considered them because I’ve heard the emphasis is on the low end and I’m not a bass junkie. Maybe I’ll delve in a bit more into them — but let’s see what my HD598s sound like. They should be arriving soon :)~.

As for my taste in music, it really runs the gamut. I have quite eclectic tastes, but I love Pink Floyd, The Beatles, The Rolling Stones, Neil Young. I listen to stuff from the 80s, 90s alternative, and electronic of today. My tastes are very eclectic. However, I can’t say I’m a big Jazz fan, and dread hearing my co-workers blast Metal. 

Koolpep, nice trick but aren't you missing out on SQ without sticking your ears in the cups? 

Thanks again,
Dan

Users who are viewing this thread

Back