Need suggestions to limiting sound?
May 6, 2009 at 12:08 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

GN85

100+ Head-Fier
Ok so I have a PX100 plugged into the back of my comp, to an x-fi xtrememusic.

I'm running Windows 7, and I can set the max volume for programs, but I have to do it for EVERY program individually. If I install a new program and accidentally forget to limit its volume in the volume mixed, then I pretty much risk blowing out my ear drums. So, since I can't find any software solution to my problem, I'm looking for a hardware one, but don't really know what to look for.

Any suggestions?

May 6, 2009 at 12:42 AM Post #2 of 5
I know there are program for XP/Vista that allow a great deal of control over your volume. One that comes to mid is Power Mixer. This allows you to set the maximums of your levels and will not allow you to go over that set point. Also allows you to set increments for fine or coarse control.
This may not be what you looking for but may help... Other then this, a hardware component would be a passive or active volume control. Although I would think there are many other ways you could solve this issue..

May 6, 2009 at 12:56 AM Post #3 of 5
Oh cool, I didn't know that a program like that existed, thanks! I'll try it out, although after spending a lot of time looking for a solution to my problem, I think I just found one.

Windows 7 Too Loud? - Overclock.net - Overclocking.net

edit: hum... that program isn't very compatible with Windows 7, and the solution I found is kinda buggy. I think a hardware solution is my best choice.

May 6, 2009 at 4:33 AM Post #5 of 5
Yeah but it's not a bug, it's a design flaw, which I believe is also present in Vista. Plus, windows 7 is now in RC stage, meaning that it could be identical to the final release.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back