Need suggestions: Portable closed-ear headphones
Aug 16, 2009 at 12:07 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 40

dnullify

1000+ Head-Fier
Hi all.

Recently, I've been enjoying my new grado sr225i with coin nodded 414 pads. With my penguin amp, I've found them to be excellent for quiet (ideal) listening situations, such as doing work, or reading a book. However, I've found myself in situations where grasps or open headphones aren't very useful. Such as when I'm on a plane, or just walking around.

Normally in the past, I'd rely on my IEM's (UE s.fi 5, shure e5c). But now I've gotten to enjoy the full can experience, I'm reluctant to resort to them for short term pportable listening. Which means, I'd probably continue to use my IEMs for outdoor stuff like school, but I'd like some relatively cheap cans as an alternative.

I was looking at some koss portapros, but I have heard that theydont block out ambiance particularly well. I have seen quite a few people wearing them around in public.

I also managed to try a pair of weSC maracas (yes, the clothing line headphones). And they weren't nearly as bad as I would have guessed. Still nothing fancy, but not nearly as bad as scullcandys.

And they look cool. But that's just an option.

So basically, i'm seeking suggestions as too some affordable closed ears. I'm not fussed as to quality too much - I don't want to spend on highend headphones Again quite yet.

Thanks.
Btw I am currently typeing on my iPhone, so sorry if this reads long winded.

Aug 16, 2009 at 12:28 AM Post #2 of 40
Some of the more portable headphones in a closed design although portable are not very good at isolation. Perhaps you should try the Audio Technica's ESW9 or ESW10jpn, although even used they will set you back $225 or $500 and with both you have to be careful not to scratch the beautiful wood.

If you do not mind clip ons the Yuin G1A or G2A sound fantastic specially the G2A at $49. Good luck.

Aug 16, 2009 at 5:17 AM Post #3 of 40
If you're looking to spend around $100 or less, I suggest the HD 228 or the Denon AH-D1001. The HD 228 can seem dark, but if you do the astroid mod on them, they brighten up considerably and are very nice closed portable headphones. I use mine all the time but lately they have been competing for eartime with the AH-D1001.

Aug 16, 2009 at 6:25 AM Post #4 of 40
Well I originally was thinking something a little smaller.
To wich the denons look a bit too big.

And yea those AT are quite a bit out of my price range.
tongue.gif

Aug 16, 2009 at 7:22 AM Post #5 of 40
JVC flats($69) with cable rewinder(looks and sound so good), it's higher model than $19 JVC flats...........

Aug 17, 2009 at 7:05 PM Post #6 of 40
What is the sound quality on those? i've never actually heard of them.

any other options?

I've also been looking at the ATH-SJ3 or ATh-SJ5.

How does isolation and comfort go with those?

Aug 18, 2009 at 12:20 AM Post #8 of 40
That's a really cool closed pair... unfortunately they're far out of the price range i have set for a closed set.

I'm thinking $75-80 max.

is it possible to use koss portapro's in loud environments? or would you hear a whole bunch out of it?

Aug 18, 2009 at 2:23 AM Post #10 of 40
JVC Ha-S700 is what people refer to as the "flats with rewinder" if I'm not mistaken. Theres also a higher-end model, the HA-S900.

And no, the portapros are not usable in lound environments.

Aug 18, 2009 at 3:59 AM Post #12 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by dnullify /img/forum/go_quote.gif
To wich the denons look a bit too big.

I'm not trying to push the AH-D1001, but you should know that they are much smaller than they look in pictures. They are barely circumaural.

Aug 18, 2009 at 4:18 AM Post #13 of 40
ah. you're right. how tightly do they fold?

So i've decided to up my max budget to $100.
making my main options so far:

AH-D1001
ATH-ES7
and conservatively: AKG k81

anything else in that price range? i don't want to stray too far from that budget.

and, on fake ATH-ES7s, how cheaply can they be had? i saw a pair of refurbished ones on
Audio-Technica ATH-ES7 Portable Headphone - ATH-ES7A BK - Buy.com

fake? i assume, if there's a 1 year warranty, it's not fake... I have no problem with refurbished ones, but a definite problem with fakes.

Aug 18, 2009 at 4:45 PM Post #14 of 40
The more i read about the ATH-ES7, the less i want them...

are there any other portable (foldable) cans i'm missing?

and is it useless to use the ath-es7s in noisy environments? i have read that they don't isolate well at all.

Aug 18, 2009 at 6:38 PM Post #15 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by dnullify /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The more i read about the ATH-ES7, the less i want them...

really? that's interesting... i just finished researching them and ordered myself a pair from J&R last night for $89. is it the comfort issues some people report that is giving you pause?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back