Need suggestions for tips to use with Westone w4r
Dec 19, 2013 at 9:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

El guapo915

New Head-Fier
So ive had my westones for a couple months now and needless to say I absolutely love them. So far ive used the largest size "star-tips" and ive gotten decent results. I now want to maybe see if i can get that perfect seal or ateast a better one that i currently have. I also would like to buy an inexpensive custom cable. I like the toxic cable silver poison however its just so expensive and i highly doubt the cost/reward ratio would be that great with my particular set up (straight from my HTC one). I'd appreciate any suggestions for tips and maybe a low cost custom cable.

Dec 19, 2013 at 9:51 PM Post #3 of 12
What is your budget for cables?

As for tips, do you have a personal preference for silicone (Star tips) or foam (True fit)?

My budget for cables would be about $150. As far as preferences for tips i really dont have one. I like the fact that i get a great seal with foam tips but i dont like the fact that they seem to wear out quickly. I like the convenience and comfort of silicone tips but the seal isnt all that great. I guess if i could find a silicone tip thats seals as good as a foam tip that would be ideal for me. Thanks for your reply. :)

Dec 19, 2013 at 10:00 PM Post #4 of 12
What is your budget for cables?

As for tips, do you have a personal preference for silicone (Star tips) or foam (True fit)?

My budget for cables would be about $150. As far as preferences for tips i really dont have one. I like the fact that i get a great seal with foam tips but i dont like the fact that they seem to wear out quickly. I like the convenience and comfort of silicone tips but the seal isnt all that great. I guess if i could find a silicone tip thats seals as good as a foam tip that would be ideal for me. Thanks for your reply. :)

For the cables I cannot recommend Headphone Lounge highly enough. Both the OCC silver coated copper and hybrid start at about $85 and the build quality is excellent and turn around is measured in days.

As for tips, I have tried just about every 2.5mm tip and I found the Star Tips BEST FOR ME. All I can advise is to look at Shure, UE and others who sell tips for a 2.5mm nozzle as Westone does. As all of our ears are different there is no right answer.

Ultimately you can look into the Westone custom sleeve that fits over the 4r. Jude talks about it in the Holiday Guide under IEMs.

Dec 19, 2013 at 10:23 PM Post #5 of 12
I use either the star tips or a cut down triple flange. I used to have the custom tip mold but that became a hassle to insert into my ear everytime after someone tries to talk to me.
for cable i have the starlight cable from BTG Audio (i personally do not believe that cables makes a difference , i bought it purely cos i like the bling factor of the silver coloured cable)

Dec 19, 2013 at 10:28 PM Post #6 of 12
For the cables I cannot recommend Headphone Lounge highly enough. Both the OCC silver coated copper and hybrid start at about $85 and the build quality is excellent and turn around is measured in days.

As for tips, I have tried just about every 2.5mm tip and I found the Star Tips BEST FOR ME. All I can advise is to look at Shure, UE and others who sell tips for a 2.5mm nozzle as Westone does. As all of our ears are different there is no right answer.

Ultimately you can look into the Westone custom sleeve that fits over the 4r. Jude talks about it in the Holiday Guide under IEMs.

Funny i was just reading the appreciation thread for Headphone Lounge, I definately like the price point. I will do a little more research but thanks for pointing me in the right direction. I think i will try some comply tips as ive often heard them mentioned here on Head-Fi. I may just be nitpicking because i really cant complain about the sound quality im currently getting with the star-tips, just thinking a little tweaking may provide even better sound.

Dec 19, 2013 at 10:32 PM Post #7 of 12

Funny i was just reading the appreciation thread for Headphone Lounge, I definately like the price point. I will do a little more research but thanks for pointing me in the right direction. I think i will try some comply tips as ive often heard them mentioned here on Head-Fi. I may just be nitpicking because i really cant complain about the sound quality im currently getting with the star-tips, just thinking a little tweaking may provide even better sound.

A good way to test your seal is from Sensephonics here: http://www.sensaphonics.com/test.

Dec 19, 2013 at 10:40 PM Post #8 of 12
I use either the star tips or a cut down triple flange. I used to have the custom tip mold but that became a hassle to insert into my ear everytime after someone tries to talk to me.

for cable i have the starlight cable from BTG Audio (i personally do not believe that cables makes a difference , i bought it purely cos i like the bling factor of the silver coloured cable)

One of my hobbies is playing poker and i have the same problem (even with the star-tips) when someone talks to me lol. Usually i just nod my head and look away as i hate having to reinsert my iems. I must admit im going for bling factor as well.

Jan 7, 2014 at 12:57 AM Post #9 of 12
sorry to bump this old thread but i think i am also having seal issue with my W4r :frowning2: have been trying..foam tips...star tips and now i just gotten myself this comfort kit from westone..

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00F0W284O/ref=oh_details_o02_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

and i just cant seem to get a good seal...i have a pair of UM3X and i have no issue on seal before....i am suspecting that the body of the W4R have any small gap that make the sound isolation go wrong :frowning2:

or all w4r user is having this sealing issue?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back