Need Suggestions for an Amp around $250
Jul 1, 2013 at 7:37 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

headphonatic

500+ Head-Fier
I've got around 250 to blow on an amp that will be replacing my Jds O2. I'm looking for a solild state that will pair well with my modded Fostex T50rp's, for the mod it; was the BMF V8.1 with a couple custom touches of my own. I'm looking for something transparent, clear, and with a high output. I heard that tubes don't sound good with the t50rp's, but if I'm wrong, please layout suggestions. Currently I have my eyes on a Schiit Asgard, but will also accept any and all advice, thanks!

Jul 1, 2013 at 9:19 PM Post #3 of 15
Quote:
What don't you like about the O2? Does it have enough juice for the fostex?

It does, I just got really tired of the neutral sound that it kinda enforces on my whole system. It powers it just fine but I kind of want something a little more fun. I've heard most schiit amps are great matches for planars due to their high output. In addition I'm curious if I can get something better than the O2 for 250, i don't mind where I have to buy it from, as long as I can get it for around 250.

Jul 1, 2013 at 10:12 PM Post #4 of 15

Quote:
I've got around 250 to blow on an amp that will be replacing my Jds O2. I'm looking for a solild state that will pair well with my modded Fostex T50rp's, for the mod it; was the BMF V8.1 with a couple custom touches of my own. I'm looking for something transparent, clear, and with a high output. I heard that tubes don't sound good with the t50rp's, but if I'm wrong, please layout suggestions. Currently I have my eyes on a Schiit Asgard, but will also accept any and all advice, thanks!

Jul 1, 2013 at 10:20 PM Post #7 of 15
Quote:
It does, I just got really tired of the neutral sound that it kinda enforces on my whole system. It powers it just fine but I kind of want something a little more fun. I've heard most schiit amps are great matches for planars due to their high output. In addition I'm curious if I can get something better than the O2 for 250, i don't mind where I have to buy it from, as long as I can get it for around 250

I had the Lyr, it was pretty sweet and tube rolling is awesome! its not 250 though :frowning2:

Jul 1, 2013 at 10:33 PM Post #9 of 15
Asgard 1 was the best amp for the money at the time.  Now, the Asgard 2 is even better and the best amp for the money.

Quote:
So any commentary from our sponsers on the bargin bin, top quality, gourmet, limited edition, luxary, hand made, home made, made in the good ol' USA Schiit Asgard.

Jul 1, 2013 at 10:52 PM Post #10 of 15
Quote:
Asgard 1 was the best amp for the money at the time.  Now, the Asgard 2 is even better and the best amp for the money.

The Asgard does fit my needs especially price wise, But my source is a SMSL sd1955; great little peice of chinese manufacturing with a hot treble but great clarity and resolution; basically it's really cold and analyitical sounding coming from the ad1955, so I'm hoping the Asgard can make up in terms of warmness and anything left behind I can eq. Now, about that cabinet.

Jul 1, 2013 at 10:57 PM Post #11 of 15
The Asgard 1 has more treble roll off than the Asgard 2.  Users will debate the overall amount, but the Asgard 2 is a little brighter, with less treble roll off, than the Asgard 1.  You can find good deals on used Asgard 1s here on the forums.

I got the cabinet about 10 years ago from a department store called Skopko, which is a midwest chain.

Jul 1, 2013 at 11:18 PM Post #13 of 15

Users who are viewing this thread

Back