need some library cans :) (found)
Jun 25, 2009 at 9:08 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

Gatto

1000+ Head-Fier
Found headphones! DT 770 Pros (80 Ohm)

I originally put this in the portable section but after some more thinking about it it should be here because I think I need some full sized closed headphones that can be driven by an RSA hornet. The setup is going to be either macbook pro > mini to mini > RSA Hornet > headphones or ipod classic > LOD > RSA Hornet > headphones depending on the night. I listen to mostly just pink noise (oh yeah, need hi-fi headphones for that
tongue.gif
) and a lot of jazz or classical in the library, maybe a little new age meditation music with lots of highs and flutes. I'd really like the headphones to sound good with lots of different kinds of music and have a different feel then my K701s (why have more then one type of headphone that does the same thing) now that the K701s have spoiled me on soundstage I really don't feel comfortable if the soundstage isn't present. I've noticed with a lot of little cans the music does literally sound like it's right up in my ears. My budget is a flexible (ugh why do I tell you guys this
k701smile.gif
) $250 and I have no problems with buying used. Thanks everybody

Jun 26, 2009 at 2:20 AM Post #2 of 20
figured I'd move the discussion over here

Quote:

Originally Posted by olblueyez /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sorry Doctor Gatto, should have said A900.

http://www.audiocubes.com/category/H...eadphones.html

Here is another, the Velour pads will be more comfortable too.

Beyerdynamic | DT770 PREMIUM/32ohm CLOSED HEADPHONES | 487907

DT 770 Stock 32 ohm $299 $249
Beyerdynamic Headphones

thanks that makes a lot more sense
smily_headphones1.gif
Have you listened to the beyer dynamics? I've heard a few good things around here but I honestly don't like the look too much. Does their sound justify it?

Jun 26, 2009 at 7:38 AM Post #3 of 20
I listened to the 880s and liked them very much. The 770 I have not. I know people say the 770 is not the total bass monster that the 770 pro/80 is. I just linked them because they are basically the same as the 880 physically and the 880 with the velour pads was the most comfortable thing I ever put on my head, also because they are 32 Ohm and a good match for your RSA. The AT's will probably be closer to the sound your looking for but have pleather pads and I see in some of the reviews people complaining of the pleather getting very hot.

Personally I think the PK-1 is better for a portable but thats just me. I mean, how loud will they need to be when you are studying in the library? Its not like you will be tripping on shrooms at home with the volume turned up all the way, right?

IEMs are good but I hate putting them in my ears with a passion, I am like you on that, plus they never seem to last, The PK-1's are built like a tank, cable is just as or even thicker than your 701 cable and you may even like them better than your 701's, the sound is more balanced. I have tried the Yuins if your wondering. Very nice sounding headphone.

Forgot: My 650's are very comfortable but I noticed when I had the 880s on that they are incredibly light weight. I assume the 770 is the same. Its like not wearing anything.

Jun 26, 2009 at 8:02 AM Post #4 of 20
hi gatto,

not a full sized can but have you considered ATH-ESW9? I don't have one but I have ESW10's which are said to be similar. you can find many reviews of ESW9's and seems like most people are quite happy with them.
The reason for suggesting them is that they are very portable in that the cups can be placed flat position and be carried in their case (hpp5 - need to buy seperately). the case may also fit your ipod and RSA amp.

They don't isolate as much but I guess you wont need much isolation in library and they dont leak sound so you wont have problems in that regard.

the best thing to do is to find one at a shop and give them a listen or look at the reviews to see if you will like their sound sig. I'm very happy with the ESW10, which is pretty good with all kinds of music.

good luck with your search.

Jun 26, 2009 at 1:21 PM Post #5 of 20
Thanks Leva, I was half considering them but I was concerned about the isolation. I got my dad a pair of ES7s for his birthday, will they provide the same type of isolation? I might give those a try and see if they do the trick.

Blue, you'd be surprised how loud my library can get sometimes. My school is really big and we've got 7 libraries including a 24/7 one. Some of them are quiet but sometimes the quiet ones are pretty much filled up. The undergrad library which is the biggest can sometimes get loud enough that if I don't have my IEMs in with pink noise I can't even think. Nobody is screaming or anything but there is an awful lot of talking going on in one place.

Jun 26, 2009 at 1:40 PM Post #7 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by olblueyez /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have never been to a library where you could just sit and talk. JC I must be getting old.

Welcome to the new university library.

Many have become a social gathering for students (some even have a coffee shop, like mine did when I was an undergrad).

As a budding librarian, I think it's both a good and bad thing. I guess that's why you create personal reading rooms for those who require solitude and silence.

EDIT: As to the OP's request, I would have to say DT-770 250 Ohm since you'll have the portable amp. Great for classical and jazz and block out a goodly amount of sound.

Nylan

Jun 26, 2009 at 1:59 PM Post #8 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by nylan8301 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Welcome to the new university library.

Many have become a social gathering for students (some even have a coffee shop, like mine did when I was an undergrad).

As a budding librarian, I think it's both a good and bad thing. I guess that's why you create personal reading rooms for those who require solitude and silence.

EDIT: As to the OP's request, I would have to say DT-770 250 Ohm since you'll have the portable amp. Great for classical and jazz and block out a goodly amount of sound.

Nylan

Thanks and yup, he's right. We've got a coffee shop, rooms full of computers where people are loud, rooms full of computers that are dead silent, an entire floor dedicated to group work that gets pretty loud and the library has rows and rows of tiny one person rooms with a desk, a chair and a nice heavy door

edit: a little RSA hornet can handle 250 Ohm headphones?

Jun 26, 2009 at 2:26 PM Post #11 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by jonathanjong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Gatto, you considering D2000? Impressive soundstage for a closed can, but it's massive.

The D2000 would be a good choice, if she doesn't need the isolation. When I tried the D2000, the isolation was very poor. It has very little isolation compared to the DT770.

My recommendation would be the Ultrasone HFI-780s, which have excellent isolation, and very good sound quality. My other recommendation would be to wait until Shure starts shipping their full-size headphones. Both would fit your needs perfectly IMO.

Jun 26, 2009 at 2:33 PM Post #12 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by KONAKONA /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Might be worth looking into custom IEMs if you don't like the fit of universals. IIRC the dual driver livewires are.... wait don't you already have a pair of custom IEMs?
confused_face(1).gif

I'm confused. What was the point of this?

I still stand by my K271 recomendation for jazz.

Jun 26, 2009 at 2:44 PM Post #14 of 20
Looking through reviews I'm really liking what I hear about the DT770 pro 80 Ohms. My K701s are so bass light I think it would be nice to mix things up a little. Also they look mind blowingly comfortable. Since these seem like bass monsters my only concern is can they handle highs?

Quote:

Originally Posted by KONAKONA /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Might be worth looking into custom IEMs if you don't like the fit of universals. IIRC the dual driver livewires are.... wait don't you already have a pair of custom IEMs?
confused_face(1).gif

Yes I have a pair of customs and I absolutely love them for my on the go listening but they get a little tiring while pulling an all nighter. Much more comfortable for me personally to have a big pair of full sized headphones on, especially for such long sessions.

Jun 26, 2009 at 3:01 PM Post #15 of 20
I just found a really awesome price on the DT 770pros 80 Ohms, too good to pass up. Also had a great return policy so if I don't like them then they'll be headed right back. Thanks for all the advice! I hadn't even considered Beyers before because I didn't know much about them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back