need some help with iem choice
Mar 31, 2010 at 3:13 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

bik2101

1000+ Head-Fier
So i've listened to a few iems so far and using the ie7 right now, which i do enjoy quite a bit. but since i've gotten my yuin pk's that's pretty much all i listen to. reason being that compared to other iem's (including the ie7) i've listened to, the yuin pk's, to me at least, have a much better soundstage and don't feel so stuffy as i feel when listening to iems. are all iems like this and i just need to give up on them or are there other iems out there that i should try.

budget is a big issue, so if any iems out there are worth trying please keep in mind and try to keep any suggestions under $300 at the most, but preferably lower than that too. thanks for any and all the help.

Mar 31, 2010 at 3:33 PM Post #2 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by bik2101 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
budget is a big issue, so if any iems out there are worth trying please keep in mind and try to keep any suggestions under $300 at the most, but preferably lower than that too. thanks for any and all the help.

From all reports, the Westone 2 is a fantastic choice in it's price range. The UE TF10 is another great IEM under $300. The TF10 is not a great fit for some though.

As far as sound quality, either of these should please you.

If you do decide to go with the TF10, I'd recommend scrapping the stock cable and getting a Westone Elite. It's not cheap but you can upgrade later after your wallet has recovered.

Happy listening
beerchug.gif

Mar 31, 2010 at 9:12 PM Post #3 of 11
^ Or a Null Audio cable
smily_headphones1.gif
Expensive (100 for Lune) but it's well worth it in my opinion.

But there are more detailed IEMs out there. just off the top of my head I can think of the RE0 (around 100), ER-4P, Westone UM3X (no treble emphasis, pretty much flat), Triple.Fi 10s...
But there are others. Check the top tier IEM thread going around here
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 31, 2010 at 9:24 PM Post #4 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by bik2101 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So i've listened to a few iems so far and using the ie7 right now, which i do enjoy quite a bit. but since i've gotten my yuin pk's that's pretty much all i listen to. reason being that compared to other iem's (including the ie7) i've listened to, the yuin pk's, to me at least, have a much better soundstage and don't feel so stuffy as i feel when listening to iems. are all iems like this and i just need to give up on them or are there other iems out there that i should try.

@bik2101 Can you define what you mean by stuffy? if you mean you dont like phone that go inside your ear and even the ie7 gives you that feeling than maybe iems are not for you.

The ie8 has the biggest soundstage of eny iem ive tryed
The ortofon eq7 has a quit differrent sound from most all the other iems i have tryed so maybe that is worth a try ,with a unique way off presenting the bass,it also has a nice sounstage.

Mar 31, 2010 at 10:20 PM Post #5 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by lucozade /img/forum/go_quote.gif
@bik2101 Can you define what you mean by stuffy? if you mean you dont like phone that go inside your ear and even the ie7 gives you that feeling than maybe iems are not for you.

The ie8 has the biggest soundstage of eny iem ive tryed
The ortofon eq7 has a quit differrent sound from most all the other iems i have tryed so maybe that is worth a try ,with a unique way off presenting the bass,it also has a nice sounstage.

hmm well i'm not too sure how to explain that. but i guess when comparing the ie7 to the pk earphones, i guess i feell like the pk earphones are a lot more airy I guess? sorry not too sure if i'm explaining correctly.

Mar 31, 2010 at 10:32 PM Post #7 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by lucozade /img/forum/go_quote.gif
^^^^ you mean everything sounds cramped together , ie, bass ,drums ,guitars singers etc?

a bit yeah... has anyone else heard both pk2 or 1 and the ie7 that can possibly know what i mean? or is it just me?

Apr 1, 2010 at 3:17 AM Post #10 of 11
@lucozade - decored olives

@young spade - yeah i think that's what it comes down to. how is the soundstage on the ie8 compared to the pk1 or the pk2?

Apr 1, 2010 at 3:37 PM Post #11 of 11
bik2101;6523446 said:
@lucozade - decored olives

Foamies are not my favorate tips ,they do close in the soundstage and muddy the bass and dampen the treble on all iems ive tryed them on.

It maybe the the closed in feeling your getting is not being caused by the size of the soundstage but the warm thick silky sennhieser sound, maybe a colder sounding iem would be better for you,something like the ortofone or westone 3, or tf10 or mtpc
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back