Need some help getting the non-US Harry Potter
May 31, 2007 at 8:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Sherwood

Headphoneus Supremus
So, in our infinite wisdom as the true guardians of the English language, we Americans have decided that the original Harry Potter books need to be "Americanized", and that all English references need to be de-Anglicized. For Example, the first book is properly titled "Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone", rather than Sorceror's stone. Other idioms abound, such as jumpers changed to sweaters, and Ron's brother's advice that he "keep his pecker up" being totally deleted. I, for one, feel these idioms are delightful, and I insist I keep them. That's troublesome here, though.

The English versions are sold in England, Canada, Australia, and probably many other places, but nowhere I've yet found will ship them to the US. Any suggestions on how to get the new Harry Potter in its proper form, as close to release date as possible?

Cheers.

May 31, 2007 at 9:01 PM Post #2 of 5
Sorry if you already tried that, but is amazon.co.uk not shipping to the US?

May 31, 2007 at 9:10 PM Post #3 of 5
I just tried it through amazon.co.uk and went 99% of the way through the order process with no problems. I've bought from them before and they are very fast.

May 31, 2007 at 9:13 PM Post #4 of 5
yes, amazon.co.uk ships to the US.

Jun 1, 2007 at 12:38 AM Post #5 of 5
amazon.co.uk will do the trick and their shipping is almost as fast as the US.

When the last one came out we were in the South of France and my daughter's pre-ordered book was being delivered in San Francisco. She was very bummed. We were catching a train at a dinky station on the day of the release, and somebody commented that we should see if the book was there in French to at least look at it. The miraculous thing was there was a huge stack of UK English books! My daughter was very relieved and happy.

To my memory, the proper UK version was not all that different from the US version, but the idioms are entertaining.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back