Need some help finding an all-round durable, open-back, detailed and bassy headphones that suit an extreme variety of music, preferrably under 1000$.
Oct 14, 2013 at 10:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

skogsfaktor

New Head-Fier
I just bought the Ultrasone pro 2900 and while im very satisfied with their sound and durability, but they feel a bit too specialized for electronic music with an emphasis on bass which is why im researching for new headphones. 

The genres i listen too vary greatly and include black metal, noise, ambient, rock. country, classical, electronic music, funk, jazz, doom metal, drone etc. Some example artists are Sunn o))), Earth, Om, prurient, merzbow, Johnny cash, Frank sinatra, Jean Sibelius, Astral projection, Deathspell Omega, Bass Communion, The Meters, Ed rush & Optical.

The headphones im looking for are intended for only listening to music and must have good durability in both the plug(i tend to get stuck and rip the plug to shreds when im walking around) and the headphones themselves, since i want a pair that can last for several years(not especially rich). I prefer a detachable cable and open-back but it's not vital.
I am heavily attracted to bass(pun intended), but only detailed and textured bass. If the bass overshadows the mids isn't a big issue.
One of the primary reasons for  buying new headphones is that i want to discover new details in my music, so the sound signature doesn't have to be "fun", but very detailed.

The headphones i've researched about are most sennheisers(HD 600, 650) but based on all posts and reviews most seem to be quite neutral which doesn't quite suit my needs. Beyerdynamic seem to have some good headphones but i've come to the conclusion that upgrading from the pro 2900 to any Beyerdynamic probably isn't going to satisfy my needs since they have similar sound to Ultrasones(correct me if im wrong). Im very uninformed about AKG, but most of their mid-range headphones seem to be suited for studio work and very neutral.
I have checked out some electrostatics(Koss, STAX) but i dont have sufficient information to deduce if any will suit my needs and would be glad if someone could inform me about how different electrostatics sound.

The first question i have is if there is any headphone that can play all these genres with equal quality or if i have to buy several headphones with different sound signatures to satisfy my needs? And if so, what headphones are recommended for different genres?

The second question i have is about amps, and if any amp would increase the audio quality of my Ultrasones?. The information i've deduced from reading threads have been contradictory and i cant really get any clear information on this.

The third question is about a potential new DAP. I currently own and use an iriver s100 and the audio quality from it to my Ultrasones is amazing, but people on head-fi and other sites insist that a good source is required for good headphones. I have thought about the Fiio x3 but i dont know how much of and upgrade the sound will be and would appreciate any input about this since i just bought the iriver and dont like wasting money on minor upgrades.

Oct 15, 2013 at 12:50 AM Post #2 of 11
I haven't heard the Pro 2900s, but my experience with the Ultrasones and Beyerdynamics I have heard is that they do not sound similar.

Oct 15, 2013 at 1:06 AM Post #3 of 11
since u are looking for open cans...i presume u are using it for home listening? 
or u want advice on a rig u can walk the streets with. 

Oct 15, 2013 at 8:36 AM Post #5 of 11
do u have a dac and an amp rite now? u playing your music thru yor lap/desktop?

Oct 15, 2013 at 10:02 AM Post #7 of 11
You might want to give the beyerdynamic DT 990 a listen. I haven't heard the Ultrasone, so I'm not sure how they compare... but you would know best once you listen to them.

Other options worth considering might be the HifiMan HE 400. It's very popular at that price range and does well with a wide variety of genres. You might find the HD 600/650 light on bass.

Oct 15, 2013 at 11:04 AM Post #8 of 11
I thought about the DT 990 but i dont think they will be an upgrade to the pro 2900 but rather have a different sound since they are so similar in price(might be wrong about this). What im looking for is a clear upgrade to the Ultrasones which is why im allowing for a greater budet than 600 dollars.

Oct 15, 2013 at 9:53 PM Post #9 of 11
b4 u look for another can, try getting a dac n and amp...u should get alot more bass control out of the 2900...
then decide if u need another can. 

(my pro900 sounds terrific...the bass is not loose at all...most of the time it has headtime over my other more xxx cans )

Oct 17, 2013 at 4:25 AM Post #11 of 11
i am inclined towards an audiogd dac...this could be a start..
http://www.audio-gd.com/Pro/Headphoneamp/NFB1532/NFB15.32EN.htm

and add a tube amp...Darkvoice 336SE /or the LaFigaro variant. 336C

on the resale mkt..i guess it wont break 500bucks. :p

===========

or get a schiit dac , n wait for the new schiit tube amp ( non-removable tube)
Not sure how bright this combo can get...u will hav to wait for reviews.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back