Need some advise on a high end portable headphones
Nov 20, 2012 at 7:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

stickersteve

New Head-Fier
I know opinions are like earholes, everyone's got one, but I need some advise. I want a high end portable headphone. I just got the Ultrasone Edition 8 which sound amazing, but kill my ears after a while. The pads are very soft, but not shaped like an ear. I am going to send them back so now I need to start searching again.  I mostly listen to music with my iphone. I have a small amp but I dont want to use it anymore, so I need a pair that does not need an amp and has the inline mic function so I can answer calls. I cant seem to find any full size with this configuration so I am concentration on portables. I also have a pair of the Bowers & Wilkins P3 which are very nice, but also hurt my ears. Maybe its my ears. I am considering the P3 though which look a little more ear friendly. Any thoughts?

Nov 20, 2012 at 7:40 PM Post #2 of 3
When you say "High End" I'm not sure what you mean. The Edition 8 is certainly high end but your comments about the P3 have me confused. I have experience with the B&W P5 and P3; I was decidedly underwhelmed.

Since you're not interested in using an amp, you're going to want something with low impedance. I'd suggest the Custom One Pros from Beyerdynamic. Massdrop has them for $129, I'd suggest you hop on that before the deal ends in a couple hours http://massdrop.com/beyerdynamic-custom-one-pro.

Nov 20, 2012 at 7:52 PM Post #3 of 3
I know opinions are like earholes, everyone's got one, but I need some advise. I want a high end portable headphone. I just got the Ultrasone Edition 8 which sound amazing, but kill my ears after a while. The pads are very soft, but not shaped like an ear. I am going to send them back so now I need to start searching again.  I mostly listen to music with my iphone. I have a small amp but I dont want to use it anymore, so I need a pair that does not need an amp and has the inline mic function so I can answer calls. I cant seem to find any full size with this configuration so I am concentration on portables. I also have a pair of the Bowers & Wilkins P3 which are very nice, but also hurt my ears. Maybe its my ears. I am considering the P3 though which look a little more ear friendly. Any thoughts?

The UE6000 is a full sized hp with mic and controls and the amp is built into the headphone.
Search UE6000 and innerfidelity and read Tyll's review of them. $200

The Philips Citiscape Uptown is actually a very nice sounding HP IMO. 65 dollars shipped from Ben's Outlet. has a mic and button in the cable. Full sized and very comfy.

The Phiaton MS400 is another comfy portable but has no mic.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back