Need some advice. Mixing music setup(DAC)
Dec 17, 2020 at 8:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

ziggybasstwist

New Head-Fier
I’m looking for a stack setup that I can use for mixing music with low input latency on midi devices ( so probably asio driver compatible? ).
It needs to be a DAC and a HeadAmp that are separate units and preferably has balanced connections between devices so I can eliminate the weird EMF/EMI noise coming from my desktop source.
I am looking to buy the Dac first and I’ll just put this out there I’m a Basshead so I don’t want any bass light implementations. Thanks. Volume control on the Dac would be awesome as well. I also need some sort of mic input so I can record without having to switch the audio device. Not really sure how to go about this as it seems like DACs don’t come with mic inputs , only Dac/amps would be able to record a mic or just a straight out audio interface...but with an audio interface I wouldn’t be able to use my dbx go rack (which I’m obsessed with and basing my entire stack on)
I suppose I could ditch it for the actual mixing process but I don’t want to have to plug and unplug wires every time I’m switching between different scenarios. I’m also gonna have speakers set up to the preamp outs on the headamp. So a switch between headphone monitoring while mixing would be best. I’m ready to buy ASAP before Christmas so point me in a direction please . Thanks. looking around 300 for the Dac. Thanks.

Dec 20, 2020 at 4:31 PM Post #3 of 7
I’m still a little confused and sadly no one on this forum has a minute to share their knowledge.
Since I posted this I’ve done a lot of research and have come to realize I need an extra unit in my setup with a digital output that can go into the DAC.
So something like a Focusrite -> Dac -> GoRack -> Amp->Headphones . And the mic would just plug straight into the scarlet well as any midi creatures I have laying around. Studio Monitors could go into the preouts of actually any of the devices in that chain but I will probably put them at the very end just so they have every dollar of performance squeezing out of them lol. God I wish I had a guru here to just guide my hand and tell me literally what to buy in each link of the chain because thats a LOT of gear to get without ever hearing any examples (not alot atleast). Especially with my specific EDM / Hip Hop tastes. I feel It could be a super hit or miss and thats looking at 1k minimum for everything. so. lmk if ya'll got any points. bless.

Dec 20, 2020 at 4:33 PM Post #4 of 7
When I posted this I was not aware of the fact that an interface can actually output digital thru an optical cable. Which is super fkn clutch, and I'm super stoked to get a stack now and try this out. I know that may seem like pure stupidity but, beginners mistake :p lol

Dec 22, 2020 at 9:30 PM Post #5 of 7
I'm no guru but i hope the below helps. I marked-up a google image on the right showing how to integrate a DAC and headphone amp with the Audio interface. I'm assuming that the Studio Monitors are powered, otherwise you will need some type of amplifier in between the DAC and the speakers.

The MIDI devices may actually be able to be connected to the computer via USB.

It is indeed a lot of equipment and a lot of money to spend. You literally have to research each component in the chain, (e.g. audio interfaces) and read user reviews, and find out what works best vs. the price.

chart.jpg

Last edited:
Dec 22, 2020 at 11:57 PM Post #6 of 7
I was under the impression that you could only select one source in windows.. hmm interesting.. I wonder if this works in FL studio cause it seems to me that I can only select one device for input / playback. I was gonna choose the interface, and just route the music out digital thru the back to a Dac

something to think about for reals!

Dec 23, 2020 at 12:20 AM Post #7 of 7
I was under the impression that you could only select one source in windows.. hmm interesting.. I wonder if this works in FL studio cause it seems to me that I can only select one device for input / playback. I was gonna choose the interface, and just route the music out digital thru the back to a Dac

something to think about for reals!

I just checked in Ableton Live and there's an option for Input device and also Output device. FL should have similar options. Windows also has a Recording devices and Playback devices section where you can choose from what's installed. Good luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back