Need some advice in where to begin…
Sep 13, 2012 at 9:31 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

rablakli

New Head-Fier
[size=medium]First of all I am new to this and I don’t know all the nicknames on the equipment (but I managed to find out what CLAS was….).[/size]
[size=medium]I have to start without listening to any of the amps, I will most likely make my purchase only on review’s and advice from others.[/size]
[size=medium]If anybody have any suggestions on where to find a good store in Oslo, Norway ……. Like I said, new to this…[/size]

[size=medium]I have several iDevice’s and IEM’s in different price ranges.[/size]

[size=medium]Am I right in this step by step approach?[/size]

• [size=medium]Source. Change all files to AFFF or Apple Losless, what is the better format?[/size]
  • [size=medium]iDevice (for now). Is any better than others?[/size]
  • [size=medium]The AMP:[/size]
  1. [size=medium]Portable amp[/size]
  2. [size=medium]Portable amp/DAC (is the DAC only for connecting to a PC?)[/size]
  3. [size=medium]portable amp/DAC made especially for a iDevice.[/size]
  • [size=medium]IEM and/or HP (I will go to Starkey in Oslo first….)[/size]

[size=medium]What is really the first step for a portable gear. Amp, amp/DAC or something made especially for a iDevice?[/size]

Sep 15, 2012 at 11:55 AM Post #2 of 10
Have a look at the V-MODA VAMP...

Truly a sweet piece of kit.

And... With a new iPhone out, the price may drop.

Jim

Sep 15, 2012 at 12:35 PM Post #4 of 10
Ok, I have started with the following

• Changed several albums to AFFF, only problem so far is that I can’t really hear any different. Maybe apple lossless is better?  I don’t have the option for ALAC on my iBook...
  • iPod nano 6gen is the one I have right now (working on a ship).
  • I jumped in with both feet and ordered a ALO Continental V2 ...... always had a fascination with tubes, I also have a small tube speaker amp at home from Fat Man, rock (or el-guitar's) sounds great on it.
  • I have a UA and a Marshall IEM's for now (at work), but will look into something more when I get home.

Sep 15, 2012 at 12:53 PM Post #5 of 10
If you went from a lossy/other compressed file to a lossless or uncompressed, the sound quality will be the same as the original. You would have to re rip your music into a higher quality format straight from the source, and you won't hear any difference between ALAC and AIFF, just go with the one that takes less space. If you already knew about the first part, just disregard it.

Quote:
Ok, I have started with the following

• Changed several albums to AFFF, only problem so far is that I can’t really hear any different. Maybe apple lossless is better?  I don’t have the option for ALAC on my iBook...

Sep 15, 2012 at 1:58 PM Post #6 of 10
That was acctually my next question.... thanks.
I have purchased several albums from iTunes Store.
Some are in a protected AAC 128 kbps format, and some are in a purchased AAC 256 kbps format.
This means no more purchasing from iTunes.... Back to the storage unit and find the old CD's.
Can i purchase music in a better quality online and import it to iTunes, or is CD the best wey to go?

Sep 16, 2012 at 9:17 AM Post #9 of 10
Thanks Astro Turf

I.m still confused on this...
Any thread in particular that you can recomend?

Not sure I fully understand your question. So...

This is what I have done with my music. I have ripped everything to Apple Loseless on my pc. I have Tried listening to it on my Apple iPod Touch both as loseless and allowing iTunes to shrink it to 256k. I cannot tell the difference. So my player is loaded with compressed files that originate from my pc as Apple Loseless.

On a side note... I did purchase one album from iTunes. Dark Side of the Moon, by Pink Floyd. It really bothered me that it was a 256k purchase. It sounded ok, but was it as good as a full loseless rip? I hade to buy the cd and find out. Cd ripped to loseless, loaded on my player at 256k, and I cannot tell the difference with my portable rig. I deleted the iTunes purchase and the cd rip lives on my player.

I am rambling, Jim

Sep 16, 2012 at 1:55 PM Post #10 of 10
Quote:
That was acctually my next question.... thanks.
I have purchased several albums from iTunes Store.
Some are in a protected AAC 128 kbps format, and some are in a purchased AAC 256 kbps format.
This means no more purchasing from iTunes.... Back to the storage unit and find the old CD's.
Can i purchase music in a better quality online and import it to iTunes, or is CD the best wey to go?

It's hard to find high quality music online from my experiences, and if you can find it, sometimes the source lies and it's actually a lower quality than it says. I think CD is the best way to go, if you buy CDs instead of buying from itunes, you might spend a bit more, but you get a physical copy that isn't restricted/protected, so you can keep it on all of your devices without having to authorize and all of that. You also get as many lossless rips as you want, as opposed to the lower quality 128kbps AAC that itunes offers.
I also buy CDs since I don't want to see the CD stores go under and have itunes and those online music stores have the whole market to themselves.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back