Need recommendations for an amp for my headphones
Feb 11, 2014 at 10:53 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

DeathBat45

New Head-Fier
I've had my Audio Technica ATH-M50s for about 2 years now and am really interested in getting a good amp for them sometime soon. To be clear, I'm just now starting to get serious about my audio. I've searched around a good bit and there's still terms that confuse me. Anyways, a little over a year ago I got a very cheap amp (Fiio E6) and really enjoyed it but it's time to upgrade. In terms of audio equipment, all I have is the Fiio, the ATH-M50s, and my laptop. I looked around at some amps and I've heard good things about tube amps. I searched Amazon and found the Bravo Audio V1 amp and saw it had good reviews not only there but on a few websites as well. That being said, is that amp one you would recommend to someone just now getting into this stuff? If so, and this applies to any other amps as well, what else would I need to go along with it?

Feb 11, 2014 at 11:52 PM Post #2 of 7
It's possible that you've gotten the most out of your M50s or nearly.

How's the soundcard in your laptop or do you use a DAC? I think soundcards are more versatile, but I can see a case either way.

Maybe think of the question this way: what do you want to hear more of and less of? That way your search has focus and the results aren't accidental.

Feb 12, 2014 at 12:31 AM Post #3 of 7
It's possible that you've gotten the most out of your M50s or nearly.

How's the soundcard in your laptop or do you use a DAC? I think soundcards are more versatile, but I can see a case either way.

Maybe think of the question this way: what do you want to hear more of and less of? That way your search has focus and the results aren't accidental.

Well, I don't know any specifics about the soundcard, but the laptop I'm currently on is the 2012 Retina MacBook. I don't have an external DAC either or anything like that. Honestly, I'm not real sure what I want to hear more of. Guess that's something I need to think about. I'm not a basshead, but I do generally like a little in my music. That may be true about my M50s. If I were to upgrade my headphones, is there a specific model you'd suggest?

Feb 12, 2014 at 12:42 AM Post #4 of 7
Well, I don't know any specifics about the soundcard, but the laptop I'm currently on is the 2012 Retina MacBook. I don't have an external DAC either or anything like that. Honestly, I'm not real sure what I want to hear more of. Guess that's something I need to think about. I'm not a basshead, but I do generally like a little in my music. That may be true about my M50s. If I were to upgrade my headphones, is there a specific model you'd suggest?

Try to find out more about the soundcard and search this site about Macbook soundcards. A soundcard is an internal DAC. Better DACs transmit clearer sound. So that might or might not be a weaker link in your current set up.

For headphones: What genres do you listen to most? Do you need isolation (closed model)? What price range might you be looking in?

Feb 12, 2014 at 1:00 AM Post #5 of 7
Try to find out more about the soundcard and search this site about Macbook soundcards. A soundcard is an internal DAC. Better DACs transmit clearer sound. So that might or might not be a weaker link in your current set up.

For headphones: What genres do you listen to most? Do you need isolation (closed model)? What price range might you be looking in?

I will definitely look around for that. As for genres, that's something else where I'd have to think about what I listen to most because there's so much variety in my playlists. That's why I love the M50s so much because I think they can handle almost everything I listen to nicely (vocal, hardcore, rap, etc). That being said though, the M50s, and my parent's Bose, are the only headphones I've ever tried that are $100+ so I'm sure I'm missing out on some things. I guess my max price would be somewhere between $300-400.

Feb 12, 2014 at 1:15 AM Post #6 of 7
I will definitely look around for that. As for genres, that's something else where I'd have to think about what I listen to most because there's so much variety in my playlists. That's why I love the M50s so much because I think they can handle almost everything I listen to nicely (vocal, hardcore, rap, etc). That being said though, the M50s, and my parent's Bose, are the only headphones I've ever tried that are $100+ so I'm sure I'm missing out on some things. I guess my max price would be somewhere between $300-400.

Sorry, I'm not knowledgeable about those genres. What I suggest is: think about your needs (isolation and price) and your wants (regarding sound) and whenever you're ready, start a new thread on that weekend asking for recommendations. List all of the information about your set up and make sure to give it a clear title such as "Please recommend open over ear for hardcore and rap max. $350". Obviously, I'm only improvising; you'll know what specifics to put in.

In the meantime, try to find out what you can about the soundcard. It might be a little harder because Apple often use proprietary hardware.

Good luck!

Feb 12, 2014 at 1:19 AM Post #7 of 7
Sorry, I'm not knowledgeable about those genres. What I suggest is: think about your needs (isolation and price) and your wants (regarding sound) and whenever you're ready, start a new thread on that weekend asking for recommendations. List all of the information about your set up and make sure to give it a clear title such as "Please recommend open over ear for hardcore and rap max. $350". Obviously, I'm only improvising; you'll know what specifics to put in.

In the meantime, try to find out what you can about the soundcard. It might be a little harder because Apple often use proprietary hardware.

Good luck!

Will do. Thanks for the help!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back