Need recommendation for music/game headphone
Oct 23, 2010 at 3:52 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Godzilla_chOi

New Head-Fier
Hey guys, I am looking to purchase a headphone and wanted to see what you guys recommend for me to buy.
I will be using my headphone to listen to music (mostly hiphop/rap) and for computer gaming.
I want my headphone to be stylish enough for me to wear outside the house to use with my iPod. (ex. Beats by dre, which I returned. I loved the design but I felt that it doesn't perform that well compare to how much it cost.)
I am looking to spend anywhere between 100 to 200 and I will really appreciate any kind of help. Thank you.

Oct 23, 2010 at 10:01 AM Post #2 of 9
So are you looking for open or closed phones. If you go open I wouldn't consider anything but the DT440 for your genres. They work well with gaming as well due to their soundstage.  If you go closed, Id say look into the DT250 80 ohm (not really stylish though). If your after something bass heavy and less versatile the M50 might be ok but they don't sound as good overall nor do they have much soundstage for gaming.

Oct 23, 2010 at 12:48 PM Post #3 of 9
I am guessing that closed headphone will be better since I will need isolation for gaming and listening to the music inside/outside of the house. (this is just my assumption since I dont know if open or closed will be better for my needs) what do you guys think about dt770-80 or srh880. Any other suggestions?

Oct 23, 2010 at 9:02 PM Post #4 of 9
The 770 and 840 will look kind of weird as portable phones. The M50 would work fine for you.

Quote:
I am guessing that closed headphone will be better since I will need isolation for gaming and listening to the music inside/outside of the house. (this is just my assumption since I dont know if open or closed will be better for my needs) what do you guys think about dt770-80 or srh880. Any other suggestions?

Oct 24, 2010 at 4:05 PM Post #5 of 9
I've been also eyeing on the m50 but I stumbled up on a thread last night about best gaming headphone and saw that not that many people voted for m50. So I don't know if I should go for it or not

Oct 24, 2010 at 4:12 PM Post #6 of 9
Problem with that thread, and many about 'gaming headphones' that is the term is usually associated with FPS gaming. For this reason, 'gaming headphones' are usually restricted to those with a large soundstage, such as the AD700. If you're interested in competitive FPS and want to pinpoint enemies with ease, then this (soundstage) is what you should be looking at.

However, the thread you're referring to does not really deal with 'immersion gaming headphones', which can benefit from aspects other than soundstage. Depending on the person, powerful bass might be something you'd like to have while playing single-player games, RTS games, or others where soundstage isn't your primarily concern. 

Just something to consider. The AD700, for example, is very good for FPS gaming but is fairly lackluster (compared to other options) for immersion gaming. Like in music, you'll usually trade soundstage for immersion so you need to determine what is more important to you. That being said, open will be better for soundstage while closed will often be better for immersion. I've used the SHR840 for FPS gaming (TF2) and finding sounds is still pretty decent, although it's more general directions than pinpoint accuracy.

Oct 24, 2010 at 6:32 PM Post #7 of 9
wow thank you so much for your explanation. I do play little bit of fps but mostly rts so I should go with closed headphone. By the way which headphone do you recommend? 840? I guess I am looking for something that is not so bulky to use with my iPod outside of the house

Oct 24, 2010 at 6:39 PM Post #8 of 9
No problem.

840 would be an awful choice then. It's heavy enough to be uncomfortable walking around, and the design is pretty large. For your genre tastes, m50s are recommended a lot. I'll let other chime in, I don't listen to rap/hip-hop 
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 22, 2011 at 11:28 PM Post #9 of 9

Wirbel said:
/img/forum/go_quote.gif

Problem with that thread, and many about 'gaming headphones' that is the term is usually associated with FPS gaming. For this reason, 'gaming headphones' are usually restricted to those with a large soundstage, such as the AD700. If you're interested in competitive FPS and want to pinpoint enemies with ease, then this (soundstage) is what you should be looking at.

However, the thread you're referring to does not really deal with 'immersion gaming headphones', which can benefit from aspects other than soundstage. Depending on the person, powerful bass might be something you'd like to have while playing single-player games, RTS games, or others where soundstage isn't your primarily concern.

Just something to consider. The AD700, for example, is very good for FPS gaming but is fairly lackluster (compared to other options) for immersion gaming. Like in music, you'll usually trade soundstage for immersion so you need to determine what is more important to you. That being said, open will be better for soundstage while closed will often be better for immersion. I've used the SHR840 for FPS gaming (TF2) and finding sounds is still pretty decent, although it's more general directions than pinpoint accuracy.

It is exactly what I need, I got more deep understanding about this part, Thanks for your effort!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back