Need recommendation for a DAC to go with Woo Audio WA6
May 31, 2012 at 9:52 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Meoow

100+ Head-Fier
I am looking for a DAC that is well worthy to combo with the Woo Audio WA6. My source will come from my PC and my Ipod Classic. I hope headfiers can give me indepth advices/recommendations in for kind of setup.

Thank you

May 31, 2012 at 4:41 PM Post #2 of 8
You don't need to "match" amp with a DAC unless something is really wrong somewhere and you need to compensate for it.  Given that the WA6 is a fine amplifier, you really don't need to think too much about this.  Just get the best DAC you can get for your price range.  A solid choice @ $500 continues to be the PS DL III.  

Jun 1, 2012 at 5:01 PM Post #3 of 8
Quote:
You don't need to "match" amp with a DAC unless something is really wrong somewhere and you need to compensate for it.  Given that the WA6 is a fine amplifier, you really don't need to think too much about this.  Just get the best DAC you can get for your price range.  A solid choice @ $500 continues to be the PS DL III.  

Well since im still new to audiophile world, this is what I am able to get access to http://www.addictedtoaudio.com.au/DACs-1. Can you recommend a brand or model from this website. The PS DL III is like $999 in Australia =.="
Thanks

Jun 2, 2012 at 1:27 AM Post #5 of 8
I am looking for a DAC that is well worthy to combo with the Woo Audio WA6. My source will come from my PC and my Ipod Classic. I hope headfiers can give me indepth advices/recommendations in for kind of setup.

Thank you

Based upon the website you provided, ranked according to personal preference:
1)Schiit BiFrost
1)Audio-gd 2.1
2)Peachtree DAC iT

Schiit and Audio-gd are tied, with a slight preference to Schiit for the 5 year warranty vs. 3 years. Both units are future upgradeable. To help your decision, I believe the Audio-gd is more "listenable and forgiving" (less fatiguing/detail) than the Sabre DACs "detail and dynamics" (more fatiguing/detail)in Schiit and Peachtree. It's a tradeoff.

Another note, the Sabre DACs are brutal when it comes to bad recordings or low res music (including CD FLACs), so judge your current and future music library accordingly.

Jun 2, 2012 at 10:14 AM Post #6 of 8
Quote:
1)Schiit BiFrost
1)Audio-gd 2.1
2)Peachtree DAC iT
Schiit and Audio-gd are tied, with a slight preference to Schiit for the 5 year warranty vs. 3 years. Both units are future upgradeable. To help your decision, I believe the Audio-gd is more "listenable and forgiving" (less fatiguing/detail) than the Sabre DACs "detail and dynamics" (more fatiguing/detail)in Schiit and Peachtree. It's a tradeoff.
Another note, the Sabre DACs are brutal when it comes to bad recordings or low res music (including CD FLACs), so judge your current and future music library accordingly.

Thanks alot XD

Jun 2, 2012 at 11:47 AM Post #7 of 8
Sep 2, 2012 at 2:52 PM Post #8 of 8
Quote:
1)Schiit BiFrost
1)Audio-gd 2.1
2)Peachtree DAC iT

The Peachtree DAC iT uses the ESS Sabre DAC, but the Schiit Bifrost uses an AKM4399 32 bit D/A converter.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back