Need reccomendations on best portable speaker setup, to go with ODAC.
Mar 6, 2014 at 2:43 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Godson

New Head-Fier
I've been traveling around, and I ordered a pair of XS book, from Focal solely based on the positive serious review they have gained, and had honestly no doubts.
But I can say they disappoint for my personal taste, slightly muddy and held back, at least compared to what I'm used to with senns 598's which are by no means top of the line.
I'm looking at studio monitors now, CE trance 2504 near field monitors, just curious if there is any outstanding options out there I haven't considered?
Price isn't really the concern. Just small enough to bring around with dac/amp and laptop, in some sort of case or bag.

Peaceoenlove.

Mar 6, 2014 at 3:47 PM Post #2 of 7
Potential AON 2/3 monitor from GoldenEar tech.
23 lbs. I should state this is starting to get near the upper limit on size and weight of speakers to haul around. But it's quite the task without being able to test run all these toys first hand, I rely upon some good solid advice.

Mar 7, 2014 at 12:01 AM Post #3 of 7
Have you looked at Genelecs? Great reputation for studio monitors. How about their Genelec 8020C? Certainly bigger driver speakers might give you increased dynamics and deeper bass, but the Genelecs would be very portable at 8 lbs a piece.

Mar 7, 2014 at 8:17 AM Post #4 of 7
Have you had a listen to a pair? Nice n portable, great reviews on sound quality, question for me lies in their sound imaging and width, a major portion of my use for speakers is because i rather enjoy a sound that doesn't seem to be coming from the speakers.
Can you vouch for them in this department?

Mar 7, 2014 at 9:38 AM Post #5 of 7
Haven't heard them, but I know people who have. They are generally considered some of the best price/performance values in their price range for speakers their size.

Might go without saying, but you know trying to shop for speakers on the Internet is like trying to buy a painting without seeing it. You have to hear/see it to know. There's enough information available online about the Genelecs that the next step would be to demo them if it seems so far they might be what you want.

Mar 7, 2014 at 11:17 AM Post #6 of 7
I haven't heard them either, but if I had the money for them I'd buy them based on feedback from forums and that one of my favorite bands use them. That'll be one way to have a true Reference system, since I can more easily hear what they're hearing. And no matter how expensive they are, well, they're still cheaper than the home audio speakers they tested many of their albums on: the B&W 801D.

On a more realistic note, I'd probably get the Swans X4...on account of the fact that they look like Genelecs
tongue.gif

Jun 3, 2014 at 8:51 AM Post #7 of 7
  I've been traveling around, and I ordered a pair of XS book, from Focal solely based on the positive serious review they have gained, and had honestly no doubts.
But I can say they disappoint for my personal taste, slightly muddy and held back, at least compared to what I'm used to with senns 598's which are by no means top of the line.
I'm looking at studio monitors now, CE trance 2504 near field monitors, just curious if there is any outstanding options out there I haven't considered?
Price isn't really the concern. Just small enough to bring around with dac/amp and laptop, in some sort of case or bag.

Peaceoenlove.

Don't know if you already get what you've been looking for one but i got pair of 8020b as my portable monitors and they are definitely the best sounding small monitors out there. In my opinion they are well balanced as for their size and go nice deep with the bass. I listen them all the time (except the time i'm on my headphones) and the sound is massive - you'll be impressed with the amount of power they got. Must say that i had plenty of studio monitors that i've sold but 8020b are with me all the time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back