Need quick help from ULTRASONE Edition 8 owners..
Jun 14, 2011 at 7:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

dasmodul

100+ Head-Fier
Can someone with an Ed. 8 please take a ruler and measure the depth of the ear pads in mm? I want to see how deep it is compared to my ATH-W1000x which is quite shallow. Measure approximately where the ear touches the pad until the nearest solid contact inside. Thanks in advance!

Jun 15, 2011 at 1:39 AM Post #2 of 8
Wow, haha. I thought it was just NorCal but nobody has these on HeadFi? :wink:

Jun 15, 2011 at 1:40 AM Post #3 of 8
I'm not exactly sure what you're asking, but I measure the depth of the pad to be very slightly less than 20mm.

Jun 15, 2011 at 11:28 AM Post #4 of 8
I guess I'm also in this position (current w1000x owner possibly getting ed8s).

Keep in mind some things which may make this measurement unhelpful

- These are noted to be for people with medium/small ears and heads and circumaural (ie. pads don't contact ears).  They're supposed to get a good seal.
- The pads of the ed8 are apparently quite firm.  The clamping force is as well.  Contrast w/ the w1000x's soft pads and minimal clamp.
- The drivers of the ed8 are angled.  I previously had the l3000 which also had angled drivers (not sure if the same way as the ed8) and my ears made contact enough that they would be sore after a couple hours.  Don't have this issue with the w1000x, they feel pretty roomy by comparison.  Not sure if the depth of the pads are the same but they are swappable.  I have small ears that sit pretty close to my head.

So in short I'd probably track down people who have had both headphones, like skylab and get their impression.

Jun 15, 2011 at 1:07 PM Post #5 of 8
Priest, thank you. That's what I was looking for. that's a good 5mm+ more than the w1000Xs. The w1000x is also angled and the shallow end is what hurts my ear. Thanks again.

Jun 15, 2011 at 2:16 PM Post #8 of 8

Quote:
Priest, thank you. That's what I was looking for. that's a good 5mm+ more than the w1000Xs. The w1000x is also angled and the shallow end is what hurts my ear. Thanks again.

Huh, I stand corrected.  Now I'm at work with them in my hands they are most certainly angled.  

I'm seeing about 18mm on the shallow end and 40mm on the deep end.  But on the head it's probably compressed down to about 10.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back