Need quick decision - AKG K 44 v/s AT M10 v/s Senn HD201 v/s Koss UR29 or Portapro
Jan 2, 2012 at 12:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

goodsound

100+ Head-Fier
I am buying a digital piano bundle that comes with a headphone. The vendor is including a AKG K44. I am wondering if there are any others that I could consider instead of that headphone ? Other options are the Audio Technica ATH-M10, Senn HD201, Koss UR29 or Portapro.
These will be primarily used while privately practising on the piano but might be used for home/office music listening as well. 
As you may have noticed these are all closed over ear type headphones in the $40 range. Comfort for extended use would be desirable but not top priority.
Thanks!

Jan 2, 2012 at 1:09 PM Post #2 of 5
I have the K44's. First thing I'll say is superb build quality. I've dropped these things so many times I can't count them, but they show no signs of ageing whatsoever (had them for a year). They are very comfortable as well, I've been wearing them for the last 10 hours or so and it's just like I'm not wearing anything. Only downside is the fake leather pads, as you'll notice your ears feeling pretty sweaty after (and only after) I take them off. Isolation; as a rule of thumb not being able to hear anything outside the headphones means there's sound leaking. Anything below that and there's no sound leakage. I can't really offer comparisons to the other 'phones as I haven't listened to them. 

Sound quality is eh. Bass is lacking for me, there's not really much there beyond a bit of a rumble on sub bass and a little impact on kick drums. Equalized up to +8dB in the 20Hz region (I love bass, shoot me) really brings it up to a much more enjoyable level for me. I can't really comment on the rest of the frequency range as I don't really have any points of reference. 

Jan 2, 2012 at 3:26 PM Post #3 of 5
Portapro's aren't closed.  You won't have isolation from outside sound with them.   Great value for this price range, but a fair number of people don't like the bass emphasis they have.  I find them very comfortable to wear...very light.  They have a lifetime guarantee, which is a good thing since I've managed to lose sound in one earpiece twice now.  Koss sent me new ones each time, but shipping back to them is on you.

Haven't heard the others, but few around here seem to like the Senn 201's. 

Feb 9, 2012 at 9:05 AM Post #5 of 5
I know this is an extremely late response. I tried all of them and I think the K44s and the M10s win hands down. In my opinion, they sound the best of the headphones you listed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back