Need Power strip w/ Four to five foot cord recommendations
Mar 29, 2010 at 10:26 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

Rad Librarian

New Head-Fier
Hey, I need recommendations for hefty power stips with a decent length of cord. The problem is budget. My S.O. will probably flip if I get something that costs more that $40. The idea here is not to compromise the power benefit I get from my admittedly modest "Power Punch" replacement cord for my Azur 640c v2.

Mar 29, 2010 at 10:42 AM Post #2 of 14
For power strip, look to Wiremold

For power cords, look to Pangea. There are ample discussion on these over Audiogon, some say they are as good as the higher priced offerings from PS audio.

Hope it helps

Mar 29, 2010 at 3:16 PM Post #5 of 14
I ordered the Wiremold L10320. Straightforward outlet extention with no switches or LEDs is just what I need. With a 2 year old in the house, those LED's on a regular power strip lead him like a moth to the flame and then of course the next thing that happens is he pushes the switch.

Ordered it from Allied Electronics as so many others have. The price is just over $33 before shipping and taxes, so I'll come just slightly over my $40 limit.

Thanks for the info boyos! Very much appreciated!

Mar 29, 2010 at 4:06 PM Post #6 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Greeni /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For power strip, look to Wiremold

For power cords, look to Pangea. There are ample discussion on these over Audiogon, some say they are as good as the higher priced offerings from PS audio.

Hope it helps

Thanks, Greeni! I am definitely interested in this Pangea power cord solution. Quite affordable. Both the thicker AC-9 (for amps) and the thinner AC-14 (for sources) seems to be expertly built. The AC-9 is HUGE, however, despite Pangea's claims that it is indeed a flexible cable. As I am looking to upgrade the power cable to my Gilmore Lite DPS, is this going to pose a flexibility problem? The GLite + DPS combo is pretty small and I'm starting to think that the AC-14 would be a more convenient, discrete option, albeit geared towards sources instead of amps.

Mar 29, 2010 at 5:10 PM Post #7 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by sampson_smith /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks, Greeni! I am definitely interested in this Pangea power cord solution. Quite affordable. Both the thicker AC-9 (for amps) and the thinner AC-14 (for sources) seems to be expertly built. The AC-9 is HUGE, however, despite Pangea's claims that it is indeed a flexible cable. As I am looking to upgrade the power cable to my Gilmore Lite DPS, is this going to pose a flexibility problem? The GLite + DPS combo is pretty small and I'm starting to think that the AC-14 would be a more convenient, discrete option, albeit geared towards sources instead of amps.

I don't know Glite + DPS combo, but for low powered and small component I guess AC-14 is more suitable. Large gauge actually may slow down the pace and topple the component....If flexibility is an issue, and if you can stretch the budget somewhat, you may like to take a look into Morrow audio.

Mar 29, 2010 at 6:25 PM Post #8 of 14
Thanks Greeni. I think that that AC-14 is the only way to go. It is cheaper, but also the AC-9 is going to clearly pose a space problem on my rig. I read somewhere on Audiogon that you need several feet clearance to support it, and, as the GLite is very light and displaceable, it will be a big pain to position it without stressing the connectors.

As far as the Morrow cables go, I cannot afford $200+ cables at the moment. Nice company, though.
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 29, 2010 at 6:39 PM Post #9 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rad Librarian /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I ordered the Wiremold L10320. Straightforward outlet extention with no switches or LEDs is just what I need.

Excellent choice. I own several of these, and I like them a lot. Who needs surge protection?
wink.gif
Less is more.

Mar 29, 2010 at 6:57 PM Post #10 of 14
I wasn't sure if the lack of surge protection is actually a good thing. I was given a Monster power bar with protection some months ago, and, although not at all biased towards Monster, assumed that it was better than a standard, no frills bar, such as the above. Am I wrong to believe this?

Mar 29, 2010 at 7:15 PM Post #11 of 14
I couldn't tell you one way or the other man. I just like the build quality. FWIW, it makes sense to me that a simple copper bar would generally be a better choice than some circuity-laden option. I've never lost a single piece of electronics to a power outage, and I don't personally know anybody else who has either. Perhaps it's foolish of me, but I'm not really concerned about it happening.

Mar 29, 2010 at 7:21 PM Post #12 of 14
Point taken. I follow you, Valens7!

Just realized that you sent me a PM long ago asking about current music interests. I apologize for now passing one on, especially since I love discussing that sort of stuff. Expect a PM shortly, sir!
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 30, 2010 at 12:04 AM Post #13 of 14
I lost a Carver Reciever 2000 $1800, and some Yaesu Ham Radio gear because lightning hit my antenna system and traveled down the coax. The stereo equipment was plugged into the wall across the room from the radio setup. The carver is fixable according to a Carver repair tech on the phone, so i have to mail it to him.

Now everything has ac protection, and when im not using it, i unplug everything.

Mar 30, 2010 at 12:14 AM Post #14 of 14
Thanks for the heads-up, DragOn. Sorry to hear about the surge.
frown.gif
While I have heard a think or two about surge protectors not being effective at all during lightning strikes - not reacting fast enough to save electrical components, or something to that effect - I am also comforted that I have a surge protector in place. Part placebo/part reality, I guess you could say.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back