Need passive noise reducing headphones
Jan 27, 2010 at 1:38 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

erdinc

formerly known as marcelproust
Hi,

I need passive noise reducing headphones that are comfortable for long time use and sound good. I'll be wearing them in front of my computer for general use. I'm currently using Sennheiser HD595's and I like them a lot. The problem is there is too much outside noise and I need closed headphones.

For me the important criteria is as follows in that particular order:

1. It needs to block outside noise fairly good. TV or music noise coming from neighbours, children running upstairs, people talking in the next room etc. should be blocked, if not completely at least fairly good.

2. The second criteria is comfort. Sometimes I use my headphones for 12 hours or even longer during the day. I guess it will be hard to beat the comfort of HD595's, but at least something close to them, something that I can wear for a few hours continuously every day would be nice.

3. The third criteria is sound quality. I quite like the liveliness of my HD595's. I also own the HD650's but I prefer the HD595's. I don't want too bassy headphones. But sound quality comes after isolation and comfort. I'm not going to use these headphones for critical music listening but it would be nice if they don't sound too bad.

The headphones will be directly plugged to an Emu 0404 USB and I'm not planning to buy a headphone amp. any time soon.

Please don't suggest IEM's. They are not suitable for the way I want to use headphones. I want something that I can put on for a few hours and leave them on even when I'm not listening to something. The IEM's create a sense of awareness and underwater feeling that bothers me more when I don't listen to something. I only wear IEM's when I'm on a plane or public transport.

My budget is up to £150. The AKG K271 and Beyerdynamic DT770 PRO are within my budget but I don't know how good they isolate noise or how comfortable they are.

It could be also a headset (with microphone) if you know something that has good passive noise reduction and is comfortable.

Thank you
Erdinc

Jan 27, 2010 at 2:04 AM Post #2 of 6
The DT770 may be the best choice, actually. Quite comfortable, good sounding, and they isolate pretty well. The Sennheiser HD-25 isolate even better, and sound great, but they absolutely are not comfortable enough to be worn for long periods of time at a stretch.

The Shure SRH840 also isolate well and sound good, and are pretty comfortable - I can wear them 2 hours at a time no problem - but not sure about 12 hour stretches. For that, I think only the DT770 will do.

Jan 27, 2010 at 2:29 AM Post #4 of 6
The Pro 80's are - but the DT770 Consumer versions are not.

Jan 27, 2010 at 4:23 PM Post #5 of 6
Hi,

Thank you for the useful information. After checking some other threads and reading some reviews I came to the conclusion that you guys know what you are talking about. I ordered the DT770M, drummer version with 35dB passive noise isolation. This is a lot of isolation for a passive headphone and is hard to beat.

One last question: Do you think the Emu 0404 USB will be good enough to drive these cans? Another problem I have is, I have a pair of never used HD650 lying around that I don't use. Can anybody suggest me a good headphone amp that will last (I guess this means no tube amp) which I can use for both DT770 and HD650? Thank you.

In case other people arrive on this thread who search for this subject, there are a few different DT770 versions.

1. [showUID]=223&tx_sbproductdatabase_pi1[showUid][backPID]=68&cHash=737b0c6713]DT770 M: This one has 35dB noise reduction, and is 80 Ohm. I bought this one but if you don't need this much isolation you can go with the second or third version as they are supposed to be more suitable for listening to music.

2. [showUID]=44&tx_sbproductdatabase_pi1[showUid][backPID]=68&cHash=ea6cb3ee29]DT 770 PRO: This one has 18dB noise isolation. The DT770 PRO comes in two versions 80 Ohm and 250 Ohm. It is designed for studio use. There is some nice information on that page and that also compares these to DT770 Edition, which brings us to the third option.

3. [showUID]=173&tx_sbproductdatabase_pi1[showUid][backPID]=105&cHash=0d32461009]DT 770 Edition: This is like the PRO version with 18dB noise isolation. It looks like this comes only as 250 Ohm which is fine for home listening that it was designed for. Make sure you reed the comparison on previous link. There it says that the DT770 Edition is for long time home listening. It looks like this one has a smoother, more modern finish.

Beyerdynamic didn't stop there and they created some headset versions with microphone which I also liked a lot but found too pricey.

4. MMX 300: Gaming headset based on DT770 but has lower impedance at only 32 Ohm.

5. [showUID]=2367&tx_sbproductdatabase_pi1[showUid][backPID]=94&cHash=cb6615688a]DT 797: Broadcast version of the DT770's. This one isolates 35dB and is 250 Ohm. It has a condenser microphone which should pick less noise from surroundings compared to a dynamic microphone. I found the DT797 super cool and was tempted to order these as I will be using them in front of my computer all the time anyway, but I just couldn't justify the huge price difference.

I bought my DT770 M for £140 inc delivery. The DT 797's are £285 inc. delivery. This is more than twice. If they were under £200 I would definitely buy the DT 797. Actually I'm considering buying some headworn condenser microphones like the Shure wh20xlr, which I could plug directly to the Emu 0404 USB which provides phantom power the condenser microphones need, and then I would be able to use my HD595's like a headset too. It's a shame those outside the US don't get these cheaper prices that are available at amazon.com.

Beyerdynamic also provides online colour customisation on their website what they call Manufaktur.

Erdinc

Jan 29, 2010 at 1:14 AM Post #6 of 6
Hi,

I just wanted to post an update. I received the DT770 M today (very fast service by studiospares.com in the UK) and they are not comfortable at all. I used to think IEM's are uncomfortable but the DT770 M are even more uncomfortable. I'm going to return them. I couldn't stand them for 5 minutes let alone a few hours.

If you are using a HD595, the last thing you should buy is the DT770 M version. The clamping force is too much. The leather pads keep your ears hot and the overall feeling isn't good. If I bend the headband or replace the pads the isolation won't be as good which makes it pointless buying them at first place.

All in all, the DT770 M create a feeling like drowning underwater or being locked in a dark room. I would not recommend them to anybody. They cost £140 in the UK and I wouldn't want to keep them even if I bought them for £20.

I will spend the rest of the week appreciating my HD595's while I return the DT770M and search for something else.

Erdinc

Users who are viewing this thread

Back