Need opinions on a gaming setup.
Jan 23, 2014 at 9:44 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Loganmo

New Head-Fier
Hello everyone,

Before you ask, yes I saw the huge thread about gaming headset recommendations but that is simply the opinion of one person. I was wondering what you guys would recommend as far as a gaming headset or headphone/mic combo. I am using a asus xonar DG. So far I have considered the Sennheiser pc360, Hd 558, Hd598, astro a40. Can i get some opinions on what most people prefer. I play all types of games and listen to alternative music on Pandora or Spotify. I am looking for something with good comfort if possible because I will be using these for many hours at a time. 

Thanks so much!

Jan 23, 2014 at 11:41 PM Post #2 of 7
  Hello everyone,

Before you ask, yes I saw the huge thread about gaming headset recommendations but that is simply the opinion of one person. I was wondering what you guys would recommend as far as a gaming headset or headphone/mic combo. I am using a Asus xonar DG. So far I have considered the Sennheiser pc360, Hd 558, Hd598, astro a40. Can i get some opinions on what most people prefer. I play all types of games and listen to alternative music on Pandora or Spotify. I am looking for something with good comfort if possible because I will be using these for many hours at a time. 

Thanks so much!

HD558s, used $110.
and the Xonar DG can easily drive the 50-Ohm HD558s.

Jan 24, 2014 at 1:55 AM Post #5 of 7
  Why do you choose these over say...the 598s? Also, what would a good mic be to compliment them. Im not a fan of the modmic if that helps. 

The HD558 and HD598 use the same driver.
The HD558 comes with tape on the inside of the cups that covers about 40% of the holes, removing the tape makes the HD558 more open, helps with mids, surround sound & treble.

Jan 24, 2014 at 2:03 AM Post #6 of 7
Don't buy them used for that price, just price match Fry's.com.  They are up for $119.95 USD.  Or get them on amazon for 127.88 with free shipping.

Or pay a little more and the HD 598s can be price matched for $149.95.

They have great soundstage for gaming, not much for bass though.  They work great for gaming, but Beyerdynamic DT990 is just a more fun headphone, still has great soundstage (not as great) but much more bass which sometimes makes explosions in games feel more lively.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back