Need new IEMs for up to $250 - what does Head-Fi think I should buy? SE215s? Etys?
Apr 6, 2011 at 1:39 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

yvrRAF

New Head-Fier
Hi all,

First post here but I have enjoyed your wisdom as a lurker.

I'm in the market for a new pair of IEMs.  I previously had a pair of Shure SE-310s until Saturday when the puppy chowed down on the left earphone.  A shame, I liked them and they were not cheap at the time.  However, that's life so now it's time to replace.

So what do you all think?  I've followed the thread on the Shure SE-215s closely and it looks very promising.  The price is certainly right.  But what else is there in the range up to $250?  I've not been able to try many IEMs as there's a lack of high quality audio stores here.

Any and all advice would be most welcome.  All hail the internet and the hive mind!

Apr 6, 2011 at 1:42 PM Post #2 of 5
Sorry - to add more information:

I love the noise suppression of an in-canal phone, particularly when using transit or flying
I typically have my EQ off or set to flat when listening to music so as to not distort the source
I enjoy good bass response but am not the type to enjoy above all else.

Hope this helps...

Apr 7, 2011 at 10:36 AM Post #3 of 5
From the new models out there I certainly recommend Ortofon e-Q5.
This isolate well the external noise and bass is very tight and punchy but not overpowering as some earphones with dynamic drivers. 
There are several great reviews on this forum and here is a link to external source.
http://anythingbutipod.com/2011/01/ortofon-e-q5-review/

Tip : This are priced over your budget but Dimitri from Musica Acoustics was offering a special for Headfi members. (it was about 250$ when I got mine).

Apr 7, 2011 at 11:09 AM Post #4 of 5
Thanks yello131! 

I took a look at the review and they certainly sound like a clean, neutral IEM.  I'm not in the US so I'll have to poke around the web for sellers.

As you have a pair what are your impressions?

Apr 7, 2011 at 1:08 PM Post #5 of 5
You are welcome.
Yes I have e-Q5 at the moment.
I also owned e-Q7 which are more expensive then e-Q5.
e-Q5 are very impressive considering its price and built quality.
I am not very good at describing what I hear so it is best to read the forum for more reviews and opinions on e-Q5. (there are quite a few out there).

Musica Acoustics is from Japan and they ship worldwide as far as I know.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back