Need new IEM, too many choices, help!
Feb 1, 2016 at 9:23 PM Post #46 of 61
The Klipsch R6 was my first "audiophile" phone. Now, after all the wonders I've experienced, I no longer consider them "audiophile" per-say. WAY too much bass. Too V-shaped. Vocals get quite lost in many tracks.

That said, they are indeed a fun earphone with rich timbre. I still own a pair or R6s. They stay at my desktop at home, on the rare occasion I don't want to use my open-back cans.

Feb 1, 2016 at 9:26 PM Post #47 of 61
I'd personally go for the Shure Se215 simply because it's fabled at that price point not to mention customer service + durability. Though if you're getting the x7i at 50$ that might be the better deal, considering that's a lot for 50$.

Feb 1, 2016 at 9:46 PM Post #48 of 61
So the x10 at $120 vs x11 at $150 (gift card not an option), but seemingly good prices.

Would you still choose the x10 or the x11 for the $30 difference?

Seeing as you're open to spending a little more...

Klipsch X6i (newer than X7i, and probably its replacement)
Klipsch X10 (discontinued, and thus VERY affordable now)
Klipsch X11 (the replacement for the X10, yet heavily discounted since the X12 came out)

Personally, I would go for the X10.

Feb 1, 2016 at 10:25 PM Post #49 of 61
So the x10 at $120 vs x11 at $150 (gift card not an option), but seemingly good prices.

Would you still choose the x10 or the x11 for the $30 difference?

As far as I know, they are the same earphone. Same drivers. Same basic design. Just some build differences.

I'd go for the X10 right now. In a year, I'm hoping the X12 will be down to that price, and that's the one I want. The new cable should be much less microphonic than the R6, X7, X10, X11. But sound-wise, the X10, X11, X12 should all present identically.

Feb 8, 2016 at 11:04 PM Post #50 of 61
I ended up getting the X11i's to get the benefit (theoretical I suppose) of a better cord/relief...Thinking they'll last longer, etc.

I had listened to them a bit at work and they are incredibly efficient.  Honestly, I thought they sounded pretty amazing...especially compared to the other IEMs I now have.  But I didn't really get a chance to enjoy them at work as much as I wanted.

THAT SAID.

The top end of the frequency curve is overly harsh.  I decided to try them out listening to some vinyl and among other things I was listening to the Foo Fighters Greatest Hits album.  Dave's vocals when he was hitting D's, S's, or T's were whistling and over-emphasized.  It wasn't that I had it turned up too loud, these things are just too efficient at that range I guess.  I tried another album, Van Halen's Hot for Teacher, also on vinyl and the cymbals were brutal.  Piercing.

I then decided to switch over to CDs, listened to some Def Leppard and Dixie Chicks.  In both cases, the top of the frequency was harsh, yet the rest of the frequency curve was pretty awesome honestly.  Sure, the lows don't punch but I knew they wouldn't and feel that the bass presented is in line with what the artist was going for in most cases.  The mids were smooth, dynamic, and vibrant.  I was A/B/C/D testing these, including against my ATH headphones and honestly the X11's were superior in my mind.  BUT...Again...The highest highs are just too much.  And now, my ears are ringing...(I've stopped listening.)

is this a typical experience for these IEMs (I'm still searching for similar references) or is there something wrong with them?  I know BAs can be harsh, so maybe this is just the way it is...?

On the one hand, I'm excited because I feel like this solidifies my expectation that a BA is going to produce the sound response that I enjoy, of course with the exception of the sound piercing my ear drum...

Appreciate any thoughts/ideas on this...

Thanks!

Feb 9, 2016 at 1:03 AM Post #51 of 61
Sounds like you're getting a little bit of sibilance? might try some different tips from stock tips and whatever's in your collection. Sibilance is often fit-dependant and is caused by a particular frequency resonating in your ear canal. I've often found trying a smaller tip to get a deeper fit will help with this. Sometimes people have found foam tips to soften treble (though i suspect this is often due to improper insertion).  Always good to read around reviews & topical threads about what people are using with theirs.

Might also try some different sources, could be some high frequency emphasis due to impedance mismatch, which is sometimes a problem with BA drivers (may have talked about this earlier in the tread, I'm too lazy to read back
tongue_smile.gif
)

If you want to get super DIY could try swapping filter material out if there is any to be swapped, there are a couple threads around about iem filter material.

You could also try EQing down those rasping frequencies if your device allows it.

You may be listening too loud as well, especially if it's causing ringing. Try tuning down the volume and living with it for a while to allow your ears to adjust.

Hope you find a solution, sounds like you otherwise quite like them.

Feb 9, 2016 at 9:45 AM Post #52 of 61
That, my friend is a typical transition experience to BA(assuming these are your first). I had almost that same ringing experience with quite a bit of sibilance especially on the vocals and those not so good lows. But mine were the SE425s.

Your best bet would be to try each and every eartip provided to find the one that sounds best . I cannot simply emphasize how fit important BAs are. Also, give your ears another 2-3 days to get used to it. You'll find that the sound improves daily, a bit by bit, till the point you say, damn these are good.

Also, I'd highly suggest you get a pair of comply tips if you don't mind another 15-20$ and you are really looking for that snug, perfect sounding fit. Or go for some other brand you'd prefer.

Oh and, while your ears are adjusting to the sound, try to forget how they sounded yesterday. Helps a lot if you treat em new for those 2-3 days.

Edit: I forgot to mention that you're most probably going to live with the cymbals. I cringe everytime I hear them. Listening to overall sound and not zeroing on them kinda helps.

Feb 9, 2016 at 11:07 AM Post #53 of 61
I haven't mailed them back yet so can try...but at the same time I don't want to damage my hearing. I'm worried that the "getting used to them" is the equivalent of losing hearing in that range. :frowning2:

It is possible that my source was causing the issues I guess. I was using a techniques turntable with a Denon receiver in direct sound mode. I did go to stereo and dropped the Treble to -4 and the highs sounded better, but it killed the midrange.

I did move to an ear tip that wasn't inserted as far as some others I had used. Maybe that will indeed fix this issue...

I can try comply tips, but don't want to spend the money if it won't address the issue.

This is all very interesting. Thanks for your input as I continue to learn...

Feb 9, 2016 at 11:17 AM Post #54 of 61
No problem. I'd suggest you do give it some time though. Don't mail them back just yet.

Hell, I was so disappointed with my purchase, I suspected they boxed me, 10$ fakes.

I concluded that I was so used to my previous headphones (HD558) that I couldn't tolerate anything else. Now that I've adapted, I don't think I could settle for anything else.

Guess this is actually what 'burn in' is.

Feb 9, 2016 at 12:11 PM Post #55 of 61
... I couldn't tolerate anything else. Now that I've adapted, I don't think I could settle for anything else.

Yeah. When I was cycling through my other IEMs (Shure E2c, Klipsch R6i) and my ATH headphones...all of them sounded pretty bad by comparison. Even the headphones which are supposed to be pretty good failed in the mid and upper ranges by comparison. They only won out in the low end for obvious reasons.

More than 12 hours later my ears are still ringing as though I went to a rock concert. Perhaps an interesting observation in that they truly did duplicate Van Halen or Foo Fighters in concert. :wink:

Feb 9, 2016 at 12:22 PM Post #56 of 61
I haven't mailed them back yet so can try...but at the same time I don't want to damage my hearing. I'm worried that the "getting used to them" is the equivalent of losing hearing in that range.
frown.gif

It is possible that my source was causing the issues I guess. I was using a techniques turntable with a Denon receiver in direct sound mode. I did go to stereo and dropped the Treble to -4 and the highs sounded better, but it killed the midrange.

I did move to an ear tip that wasn't inserted as far as some others I had used. Maybe that will indeed fix this issue...

I can try comply tips, but don't want to spend the money if it won't address the issue.

This is all very interesting. Thanks for your input as I continue to learn...

That, my friend is a typical transition experience to BA(assuming these are your first). I had almost that same ringing experience with quite a bit of sibilance especially on the vocals and those not so good lows. But mine were the SE425s.

No, ear ringing after a listening session is definately not 'getting used' to them. BA can have all different types of tunings, not a characteristic of their sound to cause hearing loss or tinnitus
confused_face.gif

I would absolutely try another source as well... once the ringing stops first. Unless its specifically designed for IEMs/portables your reciever might not be a great source for them (may have higher output impedance, which isn't such an issue for dynamic drivers, for balanced armature based IEMs <1 ohm is preferred), suggest trying a phone/tablet, mp3 player, even your computer maybe. Once the ringing stops (give your ears a rest, if it doesn't stop soon,  see a doctor, may be tinnitus or tinnitus as a symptom of something else like an ear infection).

Feb 9, 2016 at 12:31 PM Post #57 of 61
No, ear ringing after a listening session is definately not 'getting used' to them.

Agreed, I never meant for it to be interpreted it like that. I just suggested of a similar experience with a totally different set of BAs.

I meant 'getting used to it' as a more of a getting used to the sound signature of a BA, not getting used to your ears ringing.

Feb 9, 2016 at 12:33 PM Post #58 of 61
Yeah. When I was cycling through my other IEMs (Shure E2c, Klipsch R6i) and my ATH headphones...all of them sounded pretty bad by comparison. Even the headphones which are supposed to be pretty good failed in the mid and upper ranges by comparison. They only won out in the low end for obvious reasons.

More than 12 hours later my ears are still ringing as though I went to a rock concert. Perhaps an interesting observation in that they truly did duplicate Van Halen or Foo Fighters in concert.
wink.gif

It just occured to me that 'Direct Mode' might be bypassing RIAA equalization unless your turntable preamps itself, which would also cause brightness? Though  I guess that would be really bright... you probably know more about it than I do since I don't even own a turntable.

12+ hours is worrysome.

Feb 9, 2016 at 2:49 PM Post #59 of 61
Yeah...I don't think I will listen to them via the receiver again. Im not planning to use them that way anyway, just thought it would give me a cleaner sound.

Honestly the whole reason I did it was because the X11s were exposing quality issues of compressed music. I was listening to Spotify and Apple Music versus a local song on my iPhone and each had a different signature. It made me ponder doing something like a Tidal lossless subscription, but then I thought it would be wise to listen to a truly analog and lossless source. Concept wasn't bad I suppose, but certainly not the results I was going for.

As I said, after vinyl I listened to a CD on another receiver and it wasn't as harsh, but still had more than I wanted. I guess by that point my ears were already toasted.

Yes. Definitely NOT listening to anything until the ringing subsides. As I said. It sounds no different than if I went to a concert or something. It's getting better, but I'm taking it easy in the mean time.

Feb 15, 2016 at 12:42 PM Post #60 of 61
Ok.  So, I ordered a set of T-100 Comply tips (Medium) and holy cow.  Not only do I have pure isolation, but they are so comfortable and I'm not getting any negative sound qualities.  Additionally, the bass response has improved.  Still tight and concise, obviously, but more complete now.  I've been listening to them for a few days now and couldn't be happier.

The other thing that I'm amazed by is how light these things feel in my ear.  At times I can't tell I have anything in at all.  And, the Comply tips are great when you're chewing/yawning, etc.  The original tips crackled a lot as I moved my mouth.  With these foam tips, it hides almost all of it.

I'm glad I didn't return them and heeded the educated advice from everyone on here.  I appreciate all the help.  For me, I feel like I landed in the perfect spot of balancing cost and gaining as much sound quality as possible for my budget.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back