Need new home portable headphones
Jun 3, 2010 at 7:53 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

Trysaeder

1000+ Head-Fier
I know a few people will go 'why can't you use your fullsizes at home?', but it's really annoying moving my headphones around on my desk and computer, so I wanted to buy a cheap, comfortable headphone for listening in the living room.
I'll be using it from my Clip+ in a dark room on a couch lying down, so it can't be big or fall off easily. I'd probably use them in bed as well. Close or open don't matter too much, but they need to be quite comfortable. The reason I'm not using iems is that they seal my ears and doesn't help with relaxing for me.

My budget is 50-60, but it's more like 40 when shipping is taken into account.
I've been looking at some low end sennheisers, px 100-II, px 200-II and hd238.
Both the PX are available from the FS forums, and I'm leaning towards the px 200-II, but I've read some reviews that say they sound worse that the px 100-II. The hd238 I'd have to buy off ebay, which is foreboding, but I've never heard of fake hd238s before, however some feedback found their hd218 to be fake, so I most likely won't go this route.
I've also considered the AKG K81dj that scored highly on the portable headphone shootout, I can get that for 85, which would probably be equivalent 60 usd. I just want to hear your opinions on which to get before I commit entirely.

So the main questions are:
Is it worth the extra to get a px 200-II over the px 100-II?
Does the K81dj beat them both by a lot? My main priorities are comfort and sound, portability doesn't matter too much for me.

Jun 3, 2010 at 8:02 AM Post #2 of 2
Home use, px100s will be better since there is no problem of having a sound leak.

Sq-wise px100s are better because being open cans they would sound more natural compared to px200 which could sound boxy

Users who are viewing this thread

Back