Need music player for car + FLAC
Jun 8, 2012 at 1:27 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

jjacq

Playing Upgraditis Mania
Hello there. I've been using my SGSII for music but I can't listen to songs while on call and my storage space is limited so I really want to have my own dedicated music player. I'd like to ask for some guidance when it comes to this because I'm really not sure.

I can use it with the Fiio E17 but it'd be nice if I don't have to bring it. My main headphone with this will be the Sennheiser HD25-1 II. Also, I did get the L7 for free with my E17 so if I have to go with the iPods it won't be a problem.

Here's a list of what I want my future PMP to have:
-Play FLAC
-Large storage (80gb +) (I plan to just put all my music there so that it's readily available)
-$250 or less.
-Preferably one with a good DAC but not a priority. I can use the E17 if necessary
-Can be touch screen but also not a priority. It's a bit hard to switch songs with a touch screen than just a press of a button.

I think my ideal choice would be the iPod Classic 160GB but can I still rockbox that? I had a 5.5gen iPod Video back in the day and the reason why I let go of it was because it wiped the device clean one day and I had no backup. I'm not sure if the current generation can be rockboxed but besides that, what else can you guys recommend?

Thanks!

Jun 8, 2012 at 2:38 AM Post #2 of 4
You could look at the Sansa players such a  Clip+. It would need to be rockboxed for FLAC if I remember rightly which isn't a problem as Clip+ is fully supported by rockbox stable. The beauty of Sansa players is their wonderful SQ for the price / abilty to use 32GB SD cards with it. A 2GB Clip+ will set you back about $30 then all you need is two SD cards to hot swap and you've got a nice player and saved $150 odd dollars. If anything check them out, they're very popular here. 

Jun 8, 2012 at 3:10 AM Post #3 of 4
Quote:
You could look at the Sansa players such a  Clip+. It would need to be rockboxed for FLAC if I remember rightly which isn't a problem as Clip+ is fully supported by rockbox stable. The beauty of Sansa players is their wonderful SQ for the price / abilty to use 32GB SD cards with it. A 2GB Clip+ will set you back about $30 then all you need is two SD cards to hot swap and you've got a nice player and saved $150 odd dollars. If anything check them out, they're very popular here. 

Thanks for replying.

Do you know if the class of the memory cards will be an issue? Class 4 vs Class 10? Maybe 3x32GB microsd cards would do it?

Thinking about it though. 2GB clip+ + 5x32GB = $130 for 162GB then $20 more I get an iPod Classic used...? 

Jun 8, 2012 at 5:43 AM Post #4 of 4
Quote:
Thanks for replying.

Do you know if the class of the memory cards will be an issue? Class 4 vs Class 10? Maybe 3x32GB microsd cards would do it?

Thinking about it though. 2GB clip+ + 5x32GB = $130 for 162GB then $20 more I get an iPod Classic used...? 

Hi,

You can use 64GB SD cards with it - you just need to format them to FAT32 first. As for the card Class I do not know sorry. Hopefully someone can chime in and answer that question for you. Still very good player for the money! 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back