Need low budget home headphones
Sep 26, 2009 at 2:14 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

LynxRed

New Head-Fier
Hi everyone,
My brother will be in NYC next week so I'm going to ask him to buy me a pair of headphones, and I need your advice.
I'm looking for a pair of headphones for home usage - I'll be using them only late at night when I want to watch a movie or listen to some music without waking up my family.

So, a sum up of my needs:
1. Open (maybe semi-open is preferred, though I listen at a very low volume level) & Comfy.
2. Good for watching movies (clear sound).
3. Good for rap & funk music (Rock too if possible, but less wanted).

My budget is 25$ (I know it's low... but it's the best I can do).

Thanks in advance!
smile.gif

Lynx.

Sep 26, 2009 at 6:31 AM Post #2 of 17
Oooh... $25 is tough. Can you stretch for a Grado SR-60i? They're around $65. I promise you'll love them. If you don't, you can easily get your koney out of them here. They usually sell within a few hours of listening.

Sep 26, 2009 at 8:52 PM Post #6 of 17
Used hd280 maybe?they polarize opinions, but they worked fine for me as entry level cans.

Sep 26, 2009 at 9:23 PM Post #7 of 17
Philips SHP8500/27. They are extremely cheap (I paid $15), incredibly comfortable (cloth pads, padded headband, light, large cups), and Semi-closed. They are on the bright side, but very clear-sounding. I like them more than my modded JVC HA-RX700 for movies and prolonged use.

Sep 26, 2009 at 9:24 PM Post #8 of 17
I would recommend a pair of portapros if you can stretch ur budget to about 32 dollars. I use to have a pair of SR60i's and much prefer the sound of the portapros over them.

Sep 27, 2009 at 5:14 AM Post #12 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rad Librarian /img/forum/go_quote.gif
get the koss ksc-75. same driver as the porta-pro, and it won't put you over budget

The drivers are actually slightly different, the KSC75 has the "titanium coating".

I haven't really heard the Portapro, but I found the KSC75 to be a little uncomfortable at times.

Sep 27, 2009 at 7:20 AM Post #13 of 17
$35 will get you the JVC HA-RX700 headphones. Amazing for the price, especially after a couple easy mods (though still great without). You can usually get them from Buy.com, though maybe cheaper used.

That's going to be your best bet, IMO, though I know money can be a hard thing to stretch...

Sep 28, 2009 at 4:43 AM Post #15 of 17
Sennheiser 202

Users who are viewing this thread

Back