Need list of FLAC compatible MP3 players
Aug 11, 2006 at 4:03 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Bosk

1000+ Head-Fier
I'm looking to buy a new MP3 player but since I use FLAC exclusively nowdays I need to know which portable players are compatible with the format.

I know many of the iPods are thanks to Rockbox, but what are my other options? Cheers.

Aug 11, 2006 at 4:15 AM Post #2 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bosk
I'm looking to buy a new MP3 player but since I use FLAC exclusively nowdays I need to know which portable players are compatible with the format.

I know many of the iPods are thanks to Rockbox, but what are my other options? Cheers.

You could just look on the FLAC site. (In general, whenever you're looking for something, google is your friend. I found that just by googling on "portable FLAC")

Aug 11, 2006 at 4:25 AM Post #3 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bosk

Rio Karma (see ebay) does FLAC very well.

Aug 11, 2006 at 4:58 AM Post #5 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Altoids
Rockboxed: Most ipods; iaudio x5; iriver H1xx & H3xx.

Non-RB: Karma; iaudio x5; others, probably.

Anyway, don't use flac. It's a waste.

And I bet you LOVE the mp3 artifacts you get with some music and mp3.

Aug 11, 2006 at 5:03 AM Post #6 of 12
Altoids always loves to do that. Don't let him make you think different.

It's your opinion and decision to choose FLAC, so there ya go.

rockbox.org if you want Rockbox and a list of what players it supports; a sweet OS in many of its own rights.

Aug 11, 2006 at 5:06 AM Post #7 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by JWolf
And I bet you LOVE the mp3 artifacts you get with some music and mp3.

I use good mp3's and I don't get artifacts. But I wouldn't tell somebody else they shouldn't use FLAC if they want. The most I'd do is ask them if they're really sure about whether they experience a benefit. Let's not get into another mp3 marathon argument, shall we? Some people think FLAC's worth it, others don't, and that's not gonna change...

Aug 11, 2006 at 1:08 PM Post #9 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Altoids
Get a rockboxable player and try out q-10 ogg, or 320cbr mp3. Don't compromise, but don't waste good GBs either.

ewww cbr and q10... I would advise lame 3.97b2 v2 vbrnew or q7 lancer.

Flac is nice if you want 4 hour battery life, less music, and no audible difference in any portable enviorment. It is hard to hear artifacts during the morning commute. When I travel it is nice to have an hdd with room for my pictures and decent battery life because you don't always have a charger.

Flac is nice on the rockbox gapless is just too sweet. Unless you on an h100 series rockbox is still a bit low on the battery front and huge music files only make it worse.

Aug 11, 2006 at 1:29 PM Post #10 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by wanderman
ewww cbr and q10... I would advise lame 3.97b2 v2 vbrnew or q7 lancer.

Yeah, it's overkill, but if he already intends to use gapless it seems like the best solution. Identical sound -on a portable-, more battery life and twice as much space.

Aug 11, 2006 at 6:24 PM Post #11 of 12
No battery life issues with the iAudio X5L.

Mine gets to 50% after commuting for 5 days and an average of an hour a day during work, say 14 hours.

Aug 11, 2006 at 10:28 PM Post #12 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by stiben
No battery life issues with the iAudio X5L.

Mine gets to 50% after commuting for 5 days and an average of an hour a day during work, say 14 hours.

are you using rockbox? Could you run a test and see what the battery life is with continous flac play?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back