Need help
Sep 19, 2012 at 12:27 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 34

wolfetan44

Headphoneus Supremus
So I was thinking about buying the O2 + ODAC combo for $250. But then I saw that if I was using a computer with this Is would need it to be USB. I this true? Also could I get a better amp and DAC for $250?

Sep 19, 2012 at 12:56 AM Post #2 of 34
Quote:
So I was thinking about buying the O2 + ODAC combo for $250. But then I saw that if I was using a computer with this Is would need it to be USB. I this true? Also could I get a better amp and DAC for $250?

I believe the ODAC only uses a USB input and most computers (99%) come with USB output.
Is this for music? movies? gaming?

Sep 19, 2012 at 9:32 AM Post #3 of 34
I believe the ODAC only uses a USB input and most computers (99%) come with USB output.
Is this for music? movies? gaming?
Music, movies, and gaming.

Sep 19, 2012 at 10:30 AM Post #4 of 34
What about the Little Dot MKIII would that work? It has a DAC right? 

Sep 19, 2012 at 1:40 PM Post #5 of 34
The Little Dot MKIII is an headphone amplifier, no DAC circuitry in there. As you can see on the official forum, the Little Dot MKIII has analog L/R input only (+ analog L/R output if you need to operate it as a pre-amp).

You should look for the Little Dot DAC_II instead. You can realize this thing works as an AMP+DAC because it has digital inputs (Coaxial RCA/BNC, TOSLINK and USB), an headphone output and a volume knob. :D
You can just use it as a DAC by connecting another amplifier to the analog outputs on the back of the unit.

Hope this helps.

Sep 19, 2012 at 1:43 PM Post #6 of 34
The Little Dot MKIII is an headphone amplifier, no DAC circuitry in there. As you can see on the official forum, the Little Dot MKIII has analog L/R input only (+ analog L/R output if you need to operate it as a pre-amp).
You should look foor the Little Dot DAC_II instead. You can realize this thing works as an AMP+DAC because it has digita inputs (Coaxial RCA/BNC, TOSLINK and USB), an headphone output and a volume knob. :D
You can just use it as a DAC by connecting another amplifier to the analog outputs on the back of the unit.
Hope this helps.
so I can use the little dot dac II as a solid state amp? Then if I want to use a tube amp I can us the little dot MKIII?

Sep 19, 2012 at 1:53 PM Post #9 of 34
sweet. Now do you think there's a better amp/dac for $300?
maybe I could get a schiit Valhalla for $250 then a FiiO E10 for like $50. Would that be the best set up I could get? But I would love a tube amp:). And I want an amp to work well with the beyerdynamic dt880s

Sep 19, 2012 at 2:03 PM Post #10 of 34
Sorry but I don't have the kind of experience required to answer your question. I'm still a newbie! :D

It seems to be a beloved tube amplifier by our fellow head-fiers and I can tell you I'd die to hear how it sounds at least once. Maybe I'll make up my mind after getting a pair of hi-fi phones. Yeah, one day... :p

Sep 19, 2012 at 2:08 PM Post #11 of 34
Sorry but I don't have the kind of experience required to answer your question. I'm still a newbie! :D
It seems to be a beloved tube amplifier by our fellow head-fiers and I can tell you I'd die to hear how it sounds at least once. Maybe I'll make up my mind after getting a pair of hi-fi phones. Yeah, one day... :p
such a hard decision):. O2 +ODAC or little dot mkIII + fiio e11or the little dot dac II or the schiit Valhalla + fiio e10.. which one!!!

Sep 19, 2012 at 2:41 PM Post #12 of 34
I'd go for a Little Dot MKIII or a Lake People G109 S (or both, I'm MAD xD).
I'm still wondering if it is a good idea to plug such amplifiers directly in my iMac or if a Fiio E17+E09K (through pre_out and/or line out outputs) would suffice. I don't want to spend too much money even on different DACs just to try them out, once you start to do this it's hard to stop! :D

Sep 19, 2012 at 2:57 PM Post #13 of 34
Quote:
such a hard decision):. O2 +ODAC or little dot mkIII + fiio e11or the little dot dac II or the schiit Valhalla + fiio e10.. which one!!!

The Valhalla is the $350 tube amp, i believe you are referring to the $250 Asgard :) both of which are extremely good amps in their own right.

If you really want entry level tubes you will probably just be advised to go little dot MKIII, as for DAC's, the HRT music streamer I I is a nice one,

However thats most likely out of your stated price range.

What headphones will you be powering anywho?

Sep 19, 2012 at 5:05 PM Post #14 of 34
The Valhalla is the $350 tube amp, i believe you are referring to the $250 Asgard :) both of which are extremely good amps in their own right.

If you really want entry level tubes you will probably just be advised to go little dot MKIII, as for DAC's, the HRT music streamer I I is a nice one,

However thats most likely out of your stated price range.

What headphones will you be powering anywho?
woah. I totally thought it was the Valhalla yea I'm referring to the asgard(;. I will be powering the beyerdynamic dt880's. Couldn't I use the fiio e10 as a dac?

Sep 19, 2012 at 6:02 PM Post #15 of 34
So to clear up confusion. My budget is $300 for a amp and DAC. Also if I got the O2 + ODAC and then got a tube amp could I use the ODAC as a DAC with a new amp even if the ODAC is in the O2's case?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back