Need help with tube amps? (Sort of given up on tubes, still looking for guidance)
Apr 25, 2012 at 7:20 AM Post #16 of 40

Quote:

It's not just for the AKG's I am looking for a pre-amp as well. 

Would you mind giving me some suggestions, and links to some amps? 

Also, would the Little Dot MK2 provide enough power, if I used a resistor? 

If I understand what you are asking, adding a resistor will provide less power, not more power.

The 336 might look nice, but I would not use it with low impedance 'phones.

Apr 25, 2012 at 7:46 AM Post #17 of 40

Quote:

If I understand what you are asking, adding a resistor will provide less power, not more power.

The 336 might look nice, but I would not use it with low impedance 'phones.

Any recommendations on what amp for lower impedance phones? 
I'm coming to the realisation that I probably can't get a tube amp. 

Apr 25, 2012 at 5:24 PM Post #18 of 40

Quote:

You probably can't get a tube amp suitable for your phones for that amount of $$

You 'phones either need a transformer coupled tube amp.....lots of $$$$
or a low output impedance solid state amp, less $
or a hybrid tube/solid state amp, less $

Little Dot makes some decent hybrid tube/solid state amps but I have never heard one so I cannot comment on Little Dot.  Sorry!
A lot of folks like the Objective 2 amp from JDS Labs but I have never heard one................

Apr 25, 2012 at 9:34 PM Post #19 of 40

Quote:

The Little Dot I+ will do it, though it's a hybrid, only the input stage is tubes.  But it's about $140 shipped to the US and will run low impedance headphones.  I can't tell you if it's any good, I'm waiting for mine to arrive.   Going to try out with my Grados and Ultrasones.

Apr 26, 2012 at 2:35 AM Post #20 of 40

Quote:

You probably can't get a tube amp suitable for your phones for that amount of $$

You 'phones either need a transformer coupled tube amp.....lots of $$$$
or a low output impedance solid state amp, less $
or a hybrid tube/solid state amp, less $

Little Dot makes some decent hybrid tube/solid state amps but I have never heard one so I cannot comment on Little Dot.  Sorry!
A lot of folks like the Objective 2 amp from JDS Labs but I have never heard one................

I've kind of looked at those, but not too much. 

Quote:

The Little Dot I+ will do it, though it's a hybrid, only the input stage is tubes.  But it's about $140 shipped to the US and will run low impedance headphones.  I can't tell you if it's any good, I'm waiting for mine to arrive.   Going to try out with my Grados and Ultrasones.

I would like the option to use it as a pre-amp though. 
I would have gone straight for the 1+ if it wasn't for that. 

Apr 28, 2012 at 10:33 AM Post #21 of 40
I understand but it's a bit surreal. The cheapest I can think of for the HD650 is the Bottlehead crack for 279 or so, but that's a kit.

It's a hybrid tube-MOSFET design (actually a collection of all the best mods to the Bravo design rolled into a single package), but a Project Sunrise kit is $100 less than a Bottlehead Crack if you just want to stare at a glowing tube while you listen to HD650s -

http://www.head-fi.org/t/601207/project-sunrise-ii-kit-review

Apr 28, 2012 at 12:55 PM Post #22 of 40

Quote:
It's a hybrid tube-MOSFET design (actually a collection of all the best mods to the Bravo design rolled into a single package), but a Project Sunrise kit is $100 less than a Bottlehead Crack if you just want to stare at a glowing tube while you listen to HD650s -
http://www.head-fi.org/t/601207/project-sunrise-ii-kit-review

It's a shame I don't have HD650s. 

Apr 28, 2012 at 8:55 PM Post #23 of 40
It really is!

Apr 30, 2012 at 1:08 PM Post #27 of 40
The Maverick D1 maybe?

Apr 30, 2012 at 8:09 PM Post #29 of 40
Nope. 

Magick Man, what are the pros/cons of the Maverick D1?

I've never used it, but I'm sure there are several reviews on it, it's quite popular.

Apr 30, 2012 at 9:44 PM Post #30 of 40

Users who are viewing this thread

Back