Need help with STAX SR-009S Setup
May 24, 2020 at 5:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

themidsizelebowski

New Head-Fier
I am going to buy the STAX SR-009S earspeaker, but am a novice in the high-end audio world, and need some advice selecting a full setup (amp + preamp) that won’t limit the performance of the SR-009S.

My reason for this purchase is that I used to have a STAX SR-L500mk2 with an SRM-252ii amp, hands-down some of the finest products I’ve ever owned. I absolutely loved the unique STAX sound signature. I have been meaning buy a new STAX product for some time.

My former setup:
Headphones: SR-L500mk2
Amp: SRM-252ii
Preamp: Integra DHC-40.1
Preamp specs: http://www.integrahometheater.com/Products/model.php?m=DHC-40.1&class=Preamplifier&source=prodClass

Planned new setup:
Headphones: SR-009S
Amp: SRM-007Tii, or SRM-D50
Preamp: Integra DHC-40.1

I would like to avoid spending ~$6000 on an amp unless it is truly necessary to maximize the performance of the SR-009S. If I can get 90% of the way there with a more reasonably priced product that would be preferable. Hopefully the 2 options I listed above would be sufficient.

I also want to make sure my pre-amp is not a limiting factor. I’m hoping that won’t throttle performance somehow. I believe an advantage of the SRM-D50 amp would be that I could bypass the need for a pre-amp? Not sure, help very much appreciated, I’m leaning toward the SRM-007Tii if the setup above would work.

Usage will be for music, movies, games, connecting to a PC and PS4.
Thank you in advance for any advice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back