Need help with portable rig, Colorfly (or anything else) an improvement over the sflo 2?
Dec 15, 2011 at 8:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

big-man

100+ Head-Fier
Hi guys,basically i already own a s:flo 2, but im looking to better my source seeing as i have come into a bit of money (
jecklinsmile.gif
)  However now im sort of unsure what to do.

At the moment im usually using my S:flo2 with an fiio E5 and my vmoda m80s/beyer t50p's. sometimes, i use my IEM's usually my Re0/pfe 232. Not too sure where to begin, all i know is my budget cannot exceed £500. 

So far i have really been looking into getting an amp (E11/E7)  and then thought whilst i actually have money i might as well go for something more high end. I do have a ipod 5.5g already so going for an RWA imod is a possibility however im not sure what i'd have to get after getting mod and the LOD, it just seems a little expensive. I also saw that the colorfly C4 is going for £500 at the moment, and am pretty close to getting it, however...this has a lot to do with how it looks. any recommendations on what to do? I dont want to buy something and then find out my headphones themselves are not good enough because then i'll just being sad about how i can't afford things (an audiophiles second favourite pass time from what i have read so far...)

So yeah, any advice would be great.

thanks =)

Dec 16, 2011 at 5:25 AM Post #3 of 8
I bought the Colorfly recently in Australia. I don't know how it works in the UK, but the dealer I bought it from had a two week no questions asked return policy. I would ask if you can do the same there if you are thinking of buying or at least try it out in person. I like it... and it is beautiful, but it has a few quirks. See how it sounds with your gear. Otherwise you could try the HM801 or the new iBasso if when it comes out, but I imagine it would be harder to audition these in person.

Dec 16, 2011 at 9:04 AM Post #4 of 8
Thanks for your reply. Yeah the guy offers 30 day returns so im okay in that sense, This is its really the top end of my budget, the HM801 and i cant really see the ibasso being less that £500 so im not sure what to do. I hear the UI is pretty bad. Is it really as bad as everyone seems to say? There doesnt seem to be many people with a C4 on here...

Dec 16, 2011 at 4:41 PM Post #5 of 8
I would say the UI is very basic but workable. You are just browsing through the file system on the memory the same way you would on your computer. So there are no tags or anything like that and you can't search by genre or whatever the way you can on ipod. On the other hand you can organise the files however you want and aren't locked in to somebody else's system.  If you have a massive number of mp3s you want to put on it could get annoying, but if you're using FLAC or WAV files then there's a limit to what you can get on 64gig anyway. I hear the HM801 UI is even worse. You just have to remember these aren't made by a huge company like Apple. It's made by a bunch of HiFi nerds.

Dec 16, 2011 at 5:00 PM Post #6 of 8
Yeah that's what I'm thinking, to me I don't need it to be flashy or anything, just is there a lot of lag or does the screen ever just respond in an unexpected way? I'm pretty close to just making the dive for this but I just want to make sure of this one thing. For example if you press down does it actually go down or does it take a few presses etc? Ie is it just simplistic? Or is it also a pain to use?

Thanks for your help.

Dec 16, 2011 at 5:52 PM Post #7 of 8
I'd suggest waiting for the DX100.

If you have to buy something now, all of the Hifiman players are an upgrade (the 60x though only a small upgrade. Haven't heard 801 myself).

I hear the consensus is that people here prefer the 801 to the C4, for various reasons. The DX100 may or may not shake things up.

Dec 16, 2011 at 9:04 PM Post #8 of 8

Quote:
Yeah that's what I'm thinking, to me I don't need it to be flashy or anything, just is there a lot of lag or does the screen ever just respond in an unexpected way? I'm pretty close to just making the dive for this but I just want to make sure of this one thing. For example if you press down does it actually go down or does it take a few presses etc? Ie is it just simplistic? Or is it also a pain to use?
Thanks for your help.

I would say you have to press the buttons reasonably firmly. There's no lag. The way it's laid out you have to press more buttons then I would like to get a track. ie you can't just press play on an album... you have to open the album then go down to the first track and then select it. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back